News   Jul 29, 2024
 677     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 634     0 

Why I don't take public transit anymore

When I rode to work, I only did so because there were shower facilities available. It was a 12 km ride, and when I got to work I would shower.

I despise people who sweat like pigs on their rides to work in 30 degree weather and then smell up the office all day because they didn't bother to shower.

That the author of the article is able to get $8 parking definitely helps in the cost equation. Most downtown parking is in the $15-25/day range, and possibly more if you leave after 6 pm (as the author seems to do). I myself play $5/day to park at Fairview Mall/Don Mills TTC station, and then have to take the subway downtown. That's $120/month parking + $121/month Metropass. Plus, I take my car downtown on nights that I'll be out late (as the author states, you can get home fairly quick in the late evening by car compared to rush hour; however, the subway is not much faster during off hours--it's just less crowded), so I'm spending easily $300+/month (not inclu. gas, insurance, etc.) and my commute is easily over an hour each way. Not cheap (in money or time) to live in the suburbs and work downtown. On the plus side, the Metropass is very useful, as I don't just go to-and-from work, but use the TTC many times throughout the week for shopping, movies, theatre, gym, etc. But I wish we could return to the days when a Metropass would get you free parking at a TTC lot. Charging public transit users to park their car is really a disincentive to use public transit in the first place.

That the author of the article is able to get $8 parking definitely helps in the cost equation. Most downtown parking is in the $15-25/day range, and possibly more if you leave after 6 pm (as the author seems to do).
It's a lot less if your willing to walk a couple of extra blocks. One of the closest big Green P to Union station is only $9/day ... though $14 if your still there after 8 pm - heck, one of the entrances is off Esplanade/Yonge right across from the Union Station GO Bus terminal - so pretty convenient for many current GO passengers.

I assume there are cheaper options if your willing not to use the high-end unionized, relatively well maintained City parking lots ... :)

tc. But I wish we could return to the days when a Metropass would get you free parking at a TTC lot. Charging public transit users to park their car is really a disincentive to use public transit in the first place.

i dont think the ttc should have any lots around the stations. i stead these areas need to be developed.

That the author of the article is able to get $8 parking definitely helps in the cost equation. Most downtown parking is in the $15-25/day range, and possibly more if you leave after 6 pm (as the author seems to do). I myself play $5/day to park at Fairview Mall/Don Mills TTC station, and then have to take the subway downtown. That's $120/month parking + $121/month Metropass. Plus, I take my car downtown on nights that I'll be out late (as the author states, you can get home fairly quick in the late evening by car compared to rush hour; however, the subway is not much faster during off hours--it's just less crowded), so I'm spending easily $300+/month (not inclu. gas, insurance, etc.) and my commute is easily over an hour each way. Not cheap (in money or time) to live in the suburbs and work downtown. On the plus side, the Metropass is very useful, as I don't just go to-and-from work, but use the TTC many times throughout the week for shopping, movies, theatre, gym, etc. But I wish we could return to the days when a Metropass would get you free parking at a TTC lot. Charging public transit users to park their car is really a disincentive to use public transit in the first place.
While I completely agree with you about charging for parking, why not take the bus to the subway? If the stop is a little beyond walking distance, why not cycle or drive to it and take the bus from there.

It is not the TTC that charges for parking at Yorkdale or Fairview, it is the mall. They do not want commuters to take up parking spots from shoppers. to avoid parking fees, stsrt your day a bit later, at 10, the parking is free since the malls are open. :)

all being said, I think the city made a mistake in placing Union Station at Front st, almost the very south end of the city. If you look at commuter train stations in New York or London, they are not located on the edge of the city. Considering the most office buildings are located between Front and College st, a more idea location would be somewhere Queen/Dundas so that each direction is walkable.

You're right, the rail barons shouldn't have placed Union Station at the south-end of the city; it should've been on the northern edge. Nearly all cities with good commuter or inter-regional services have train stations that were built on their urban periphery at the time. Tokyo's numerous train stations were built on the outskirts because it was illegal by the emperor's decree to build into the heart of Tokyo. Many of London's and Paris' train stations were also built on the then-periphery of the urban area. That's why the rail lines radiate concentrically.

It's unfortunate that this option is no longer a reasonable possibility, but I always thought that the line that goes past Summerhill could've been a northern terminus for GO Train. There really also should be many more stops on the Georgetown/Milton/Barrie line as well...

They did build at the edge of town. CP did.
And they put a station there. Summerhill.

In 100 years, it will also be a major transit hub.

You're right, the rail barons shouldn't have placed Union Station at the south-end of the city; it should've been on the northern edge. Nearly all cities with good commuter or inter-regional services have train stations that were built on their urban periphery at the time. Tokyo's numerous train stations were built on the outskirts because it was illegal by the emperor's decree to build into the heart of Tokyo. Many of London's and Paris' train stations were also built on the then-periphery of the urban area. That's why the rail lines radiate concentrically.

yes, both London and Paris seem to have train stations on each corner of the central city. Toronto should really start preparing for its future growth in that aspect. Entirely relying on Union station is not a wise idea, as there is only this much space. For example, one can build another station on the east edge of downtown, somewhere on Parliament St/Carlton, and one on the north edge such as Dupont/Spadina. With new stations, there will be a lot of pedestrian traffic and business and the areas will grow immediately. Continuously expanding Union is unwise as it is not the best use of the very core area of a city.

You're right, the rail barons shouldn't have placed Union Station at the south-end of the city; it should've been on the northern edge.

Stop and think. The railways came to Toronto in the 1850's, they built their tracks and obviously their stations (several actually) where the town was at that time, not where it was going to expand to, the Northern edge didn't exist. They were in business to make money hauling freight and people the vast majority of which was probably a 15 minute walk or less from Front street.

The Canadian Pacific was late to the party arriving in Toronto 30 years later, hence the cross town line and Summerhill station. These tracks are the CP's main line, they are likely much too valuable to clutter up with commuter trains or they would be running now.

Entirely relying on Union station is not a wise idea, as there is only this much space. For example, one can build another station on the east edge of downtown, somewhere on Parliament St/Carlton, and one on the north edge such as Dupont/Spadina. With new stations, there will be a lot of pedestrian traffic and business and the areas will grow immediately.

Stations are built on tracks, none exist at these locations.

The rail barons put their stations at the urban periphery because they could not build stations in the urban areas at the time. It's one of the reasons why the world's first underground rail was built, to penetrate the urban area and connect the city with the railway stations.

The CP line passes by Dupont & Spadina.
Yes, it does but given the CP's disinterest in providing or allowing Commuter service it is a moot point.

The rail barons put their stations at the urban periphery because they could not build stations in the urban areas at the time.

The railways built track first in locations that made business sense, stations followed where they were needed for access to their trains on those tracks. Union Station's location was the centre of the urban area in the late 1800's, Toronto's raison d'etre was that of a manufacturing, port and transportation hub. The site of the Gardiner Expressway was lined with docks and wharves. It was as urban as you could get at the time.

They did build at the edge of town. CP did.
And they put a station there. Summerhill.

In 100 years, it will also be a major transit hub.

Optimistic I see... ;)

I think that if there is a north station, these days it would make sense at Dupont rather than Summerhill. The Yonge line carries too much and couldn't handle an influx at Summerhill, while the Spadina line has room to spare. Also the design of the stations and the line itself makes it feel more "commuter" oriented while the Yonge line feels more "urban" oriented.

Last edited:

Back