News   Jul 29, 2024
 677     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 634     0 

Why I don't take public transit anymore

Also, a tax credit is only redeemed by people who are industrious enough to claim it. Much cheaper than a blanket subsidy.

That is not a problem at all. We SHOULD be focusing on local transit, as well as regional transit. The bulk of transit trips is local,and that is never going to change. More people travel short distance, than long distances. We should be looking at making transfer between the local agencies and GO easy and predictable. At the moment, it's not.

I'm not suggesting that we rip out all our bus stops so that buses stop every couple of miles, I'm saying that we have spent too much time focusing on short trips at the expense of long ones. The author's story about transit being too slow is the norm for most people, not the exception to it. With an overly local focus, you get slow transit that becomes only usable for people who cannot afford to drive. Even then, many of these people would end up walking or cycling if their destination is close enough. So in the process to meet everybody's needs, you end up meeting no one's needs!

I will never understand why the government doesn't just do away with the tax credit and directly subsidize the price of transit instead. It wouldn't cost a penny more and would be far less complicated for transit users.
But that would give money to the poor. The whole point of these Tory credits is to make sure that the poor don't get an extra cent. Couldn't have that ...

Considering that many people pay $20-30 a day for parking downtown, there is considerable room for pricing.
There might be parking lots that expensive ... but there are cheaper ones. The big Green P at Church south of Front is only $9 a day on weekdays. With over 2,000 spaces, it normally seems to have space.

This shows that there are significant discretionary dollars available to spent on commuter transportation options (since many people do decide to spend extra by parking in the $30 lots). It also shows that those dollars will be spent on options that don't involve much walking outside -- so my express buses would go closer to the major office buildings than TTC ones do. For example, I might bring them along Wellington and Adelaide, rather than Richmond and Adelaide.

EDIT: you could reduce walking at the far end by approaching it like a school bus -- you sign up in advance and the bus comes to your house, rather than making you walk to a major road. People will discretionary dollars usually don't live directly on major roads. Stopping at apartment buildings at regular times would also help -- people are more likely to take a bus that comes directly to their door (like airport hotel shuttles).

I expect the taxi companies would not be particularly supportive of any of this as it may start biting into their market.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to understand how I pay $120 for a metropass yet have to let 2-3 streetcars pass before I can take one. Then I'll get an elbow in the kidneys and a knee in the groin....in a packed streetcar.

So frustrating.

We are. She notes that she's near Steeles and Kennedy, and the Milliken GO station is near her house - however the train service doesn't run late enough for it to work. Plans are well advanced to increase service on the Stouffville line, which would drop her daily 1-way commute from from 90 minutes to 45 minutes, which compares much more favourably to the 30 minutes driving. Meanwhile driving times are only predicted to get worse. In many ways this is a dream commute, living near a GO station, and working very close to Union Station.

I used to find a 70 minute commute borderline compared to a 25-30 minute drive. I can see that when it gets to 90 minutes, especially in the evening, that driving makes more sense. Back then, I used to use TTC most of the time, but on days I knew I'd be staying later, and especially heading into work later, I was much more likely to drive.

So transit is improving ... another issue that could be addressed is living choices. One doesn't have to live 26 km from their workplace. I can see that one might have to do this for short-term. But in the long-term I'd strive to find a workplace closer to the office, or an office closer to the workplace. Though it is a dream GO commute ... 30 minutes with a bit of exercise thrown in!

I meant her. Obviously you care and so do I. I agree with you 100%

I find these articles annoying ... they adjust the driving times by leaving earlier / or later, and the same applies when work is done. That makes a huge difference.

Bingo.

This is why Union's being expanded and RBC is building a building in Southcore.

I think an enormous number of people don't think about their commute when they buy a house, which I find mystifying. (Changing jobs once you've bought a house is another matter entirely.)

Who works at College Park? There's more offices at Y&E or Y & Sheppard than at Yonge & College. But, yeah, if I was working at College Park, I'd want to live on the Gerrard car rather than Oakville.

There are plenty of office buildings near College Park. 777 Bay for example. There are many highrise government buildings on Bay st between College and Wellesley as well. And don't forget Queen's Park and the hospitals on University Ave. It would be one hell of a walk from Union.

Last edited:
I haven't ridden transit since I moved to Waterloo. However, I haven't driven a car either. It doesn't really make much sense to wait 15 min for a bus when I could bike to any of my destinations in less than that time.

*cough* BIXI *cough*
$95/year = $7.92/month

Not practical for everyone, is it. It is hard to imagine a 55 year old manager to get on the bike, carrying a laptop in his hand every morning. Or a 35 year old office lady in her nicely ironed pensil skirt, a purse across her torso. And they probably need to wear helmets as well :p

all being said, I think the city made a mistake in placing Union Station at Front st, almost the very south end of the city. If you look at commuter train stations in New York or London, they are not located on the edge of the city. Considering the most office buildings are located between Front and College st, a more idea location would be somewhere Queen/Dundas so that each direction is walkable.

Not practical for everyone, is it. It is hard to imagine a 55 year old manager to get on the bike, carrying a laptop in his hand every morning. Or a 35 year old office lady in her nicely ironed pensil skirt, a purse across her torso. And they probably need to wear helmets as well :p

It isn't hard to imagine any of that if you've been to a city like Paris that has a large, established bike-sharing system. The laptop bag or purse goes in the basket, and no, they don't need to wear helmets.

As for the idea of moving closer to work: given how outrageous Toronto real estate prices have gotten recently, it may be very difficult to afford anything other than a tiny condo closer to work. Forget it if you have kids and a limited budget.

I can't think of a reason why you can't live in a condo if you have kids. The Japanese, Koreans and Chinese are doing fine with just that. Many Manhattan families are doing fine too. Real estate prices in Tokyo, Shanghai and Seoul are all much higher than that of Toronto. It is wrong to assume as soon as you have your first child, you immediately and absolutely need a 1500sf single family house with a large family room, a living room, a dining room, 3-4 bedrooms, and 1000sf of yard. A bright side of high housing price is that families make do with smaller spaces and consuming less energy.

It isn't hard to imagine any of that if you've been to a city like Paris that has a large, established bike-sharing system. The laptop bag or purse goes in the basket, and no, they don't need to wear helmets.

I was in Paris only 4 months ago, and given the number of subway stations in the city, I doubt anyone really NEEDs a bike to get to the office, as there is bound to be a metro/RER station within less than 10 minutes walk. And unlike Toronto, the RER is fully integrated with the metro.

Paris Metro: 14 lines, 380 stations, cost €1.25 per ticket (or $1.7)
Paris RER: 5 lines, 246 stations (33 within the City of Paris)

Plus, as mentioned, people in Toronto do have to work from November to April as well, during which time the bikes are almost useless.

I was in Paris only 4 months ago, and given the number of subway stations in the city, I doubt anyone really NEEDs a bike to get to the office, as there is bound to be a metro/RER station within less than 10 minutes walk. And unlike Toronto, the RER is fully integrated with the metro.

And from my observations, biking is probably faster for many trips within Paris than the Metro/RER, especially if transfers are involved. It's also cheaper and less crowded.

Plus, as mentioned, people in Toronto do have to work from November to April as well, during which time the bikes are almost useless.

That all depends on how well the bike lanes are cleared.

all being said, I think the city made a mistake in placing Union Station at Front st, almost the very south end of the city.

The City didn't place Union Station, the railways placed it, right smack on top of their existing tracks. Seemed to be a good idea at the time, where else would anyone build a railway station?

Back