News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 693     0 

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

Whose vision of transit in Toronto do you support?

• Total voters
What would evening and weekend service to MCC look like? Is there any kind of demand from that area justifying every-five-minute subway service?

Maybe we could run trains from MCC every half hour or so and make the trainsets double-decker to allow for extra capacity. And paint them green, just for the hell of it.

Hourly service on weeknights and weekends is enough.

So would anyone here think I'm crazy if I extended the Danforth subway to the zoo and THEN to Pickering Town Centre? That is a major destination, right?

There's no need for the subway to extend that far east.

Durham Region is planning for an LRT Route across Kingston, with a possible connection at Morningside and Sheppard with Transit City lines.

Extension to a mall? Really?

Yes, obviously. After downtown, malls are the lynchpins of good transit systems and serving them is absolutely critical. Even if our network did nothing but connect every mall to every other mall in the GTA, or if every line terminated at a mall, that would be a good network. If Bloor gets extended, the best option is to go to Sherway. Malls mean jobs, hordes of transit trips (peak and off-peak), parking, the best kiss'n'ride or intermodal hub locations, room for redevelopment, etc.

Yes, obviously. After downtown, malls are the lynchpins of good transit systems and serving them is absolutely critical. Even if our network did nothing but connect every mall to every other mall in the GTA, or if every line terminated at a mall, that would be a good network. If Bloor gets extended, the best option is to go to Sherway. Malls mean jobs, hordes of transit trips (peak and off-peak), parking, the best kiss'n'ride or intermodal hub locations, room for redevelopment, etc.

It's silly to extend the subway there. Bus service is adequate for now and the near future. I don't get why so many of you have a hard-on for the subway being extended further west.....

It's silly to extend the subway there. Bus service is adequate for now and the near future. I don't get why so many of you have a hard-on for the subway being extended further west.....

No, what's silly is having a hard-on for LRT lines because you think they help communities bond. If we're basing transit expansion on what buses can't currently handle, we wouldn't be building anything, ever.

Kipling is a terrible place to terminate the line. If it wasn't extended as far as Sherway, it'd be extended to Cloverdale...which just happens to also be, you guessed it, a mall.

I too do not understand the need for a subway to Sherway. Where is the evidence that there is really a demand for it?
What I always thought was bizarre, is that SOS was pushing it, justifying it's inclusion in the RTES study, but the RTES study seemed to show a pretty poor result of extending to Sherway.

Kipling is a terrible place to terminate the line.

How's that? It follows the pattern of our subway system, which is to extend out from downtown and end at the major suburban subcentres (Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough Centres). This makes perfect sense, as people are commuting to these subcentres from downtown and the suburbs.

I can't understand why SOS hates the Sheppard LRT because of the artificial transfer point at Don Mills, but wants to create another such point at Sherway. The situation is analogous, and in this case the subway should go all the way to the next true subcentre (Square One) or stay where it is.

The few times I've been out to Sherway the bus service from Kipling seemed more than adequate.

Rather than extending for extending's sake, maybe we should focus on improving service in the areas where current buses/streetcars are bursting at the seams.

While I see the similarities between Don Mills stn and Sherway stn, in that they're both attached to malls, they're very different. Don Mills was not originally planned to be a terminus, it is now because that's where the funding was cut, and they chose the best point to finish with the funds they had. Sherway is not at the end of a stubway, it's at the end of a very successful line. And despite being the terminus of a stubway, Don Mills does very well at intercepting southbound commuters from the 404. This funnelling is likely the only reason why the Sheppard subway's ridership is anywhere near where it is. There's the same chance to do this with Sherway, intercepting people using the QEW who would otherwise continue along the Gardiner into downtown. Heck, during rush hour, taking the subway from Sherway to downtown may even be faster than sitting on the Gardiner.

In terms of connectivity to Sq1, I do support a subway eventually, but I think that in the short term, the connectivity of the Mississauga BRT to the Etobicoke Busway that's proposed in MoTo is a good start.

While I see the similarities between Don Mills stn and Sherway stn, in that they're both attached to malls, they're very different. Don Mills was not originally planned to be a terminus, it is now because that's where the funding was cut, and they chose the best point to finish with the funds they had. Sherway is not at the end of a stubway, it's at the end of a very successful line. And despite being the terminus of a stubway, Don Mills does very well at intercepting southbound commuters from the 404. This funnelling is likely the only reason why the Sheppard subway's ridership is anywhere near where it is. There's the same chance to do this with Sherway, intercepting people using the QEW who would otherwise continue along the Gardiner into downtown. Heck, during rush hour, taking the subway from Sherway to downtown may even be faster than sitting on the Gardiner.

In terms of connectivity to Sq1, I do support a subway eventually, but I think that in the short term, the connectivity of the Mississauga BRT to the Etobicoke Busway that's proposed in MoTo is a good start.

What are you basing this claim on? there is not enough parking at Don Mills for even one subway train worth of riders, and yes I am only talking about the TTC's lot and not the Malls, which is closed during the morning rush.

Back