News   Jul 15, 2024
 134     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

Really?
Political discussion is so debased that people still call him the "drama teacher"?

Well, Stephen Harper underestimated the "drama teacher" and look at where he is now. JT maybe lightweight, but you can definitely not fault him for the ability to learn and perform.

AoD

It has little to do with underestimating him. Yeah, the "drama teacher" won a riding people said he would never win, won the leadership of a party people said was dead, and won an election people said he'd never win. It's just people insisting on being unnecessarily snide and incapable of showing any respect to the country's institutions. Criticize him all you want (I do), but be a grown-up about it. And people should stop using a term that explicitly suggests that educators are somehow incapable.

Same goes for the other party leaders.

Trudeau taught drama, as well as math and French, ages ago. Not sure what the issue is with a PM that's actually been in a classroom (among other places). Harper was always a bit stiff - he could have benefited from some drama training. Trudeau has long since moved on, confounded his critics and risen to the top political office in the land. It's pretty sad that that there are still people holding on the tired old "drama teacher" refrain. Anyone who actually cared about the Conservative Party and its future success would have dumped that loser shtick long ago.

We're not all angels. It's sometimes hard not to resort to names when an M.P. says something stupid, or takes a dumb, self-serving position on an issue. But the PM and the other party leaders represent high offices in our political system, not to mention parties and large constituencies among the population. We should all try to do better.

Lisa Raitt will announce tomorrow.

I will be nice to have a good candidate in the race. I like Chong, but I doubt his chances even to be among the top tier of candidates. Bernier has some interesting ideas, but I am not sure the party would benefit from such a departure from the Harper approach which served it so well. The others are all single-issue candidates, former M.P.'s desperately trying to resuscitate political careers, or simply trying to ride empty populism into a higher profile within the party. I was hoping for a better field than this.

The popular vote for the Tories held up pretty strongly in the 905 belt, and Lisa Raitt would be likely be the most appealing in this key region. Just a small drop in support for the Liberals would result in a lot of Tory pickups.

Candidate for Conservative leadership positions herself as Canada's Trump:

IMG_0891.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 351
Yeah, I saw that. She's positioning herself as the opportunist candidate.

The pivot from Trump to elites to "Canadian Values" is a stretch - she should recall the premise of the UE and what they stood for, for one. Peace, order and good government has never been more important in the age of "mob rule".

AoD

Last edited:

Back