News   Jul 15, 2024
 21     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

My statement wasn't so much a comparison of him versus any of the other leadership candidates (Trost, for example, is just as terrible as Leitch, and I am not sure if Alexander could beat either of them in a contest for worst politician), but rather a flippant assessment of Alexander's qualities and skills. Alexander does, however, have a shameful record, well beyond the barbaric cultural practices tip line. The Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act was profoundly, to borrow Leitch's favourite phrase, un-Canadian - not just undoubtedly unconstitutional, but demeaning to the very institution of Canadian citizenship. Ironic that our Minister of Citizenship and Immigration did so much to devalue Canadian citizenship. His whole involvement in the niqab issue was just an appalling effort on his part to attack women for his own personal political benefit. He would inexplicably double-down when he was proven wrong, and his spin during the Kurdi affair ("I'm suspending my campaign to work on this important issue -- oh wait, I'm not") was embarrassing. His record is just horrible. I understand that he was quite well admired when he worked in the foreign service. But his time in politics proves that he is a man willing to pander to whatever populist sentiment he thinks will benefit him. It will be interesting to watch Alexander, Leitch and Trost battle to see who can sink the lowest during this leadership race.

I suspect Alexander is in the running mainly to maintain his profile within the party.

Steven Blaney has thrown his hat in the ring for the leadership. Apparently, according to him, the most pressing issue faced by this country is the niqab. Seriously. The niqab is a major plank in his platform, plus he stole some stuff from Leitch in terms of Canadian values. I'm guessing Blaney doesn't understand what it means to live a free country. Or maybe he does, he simply doesn't think we should live in a free country, since he's already planning to use the notwithstanding clause when his new laws are inevitably found to be unconstitutional.

The Conservative leadership race is really attracting some bottom-feeding trolls, isn't it? That's not good for Canada to see one of our major parties with a crowd of such weak leadership aspirants.

Back