News   Mar 28, 2024
 6     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
What's is the future of the Con party? IMO, until they do a total rebuild or unless Trudeau seriously screws up I see Trudeau lasting until at least the 2023 election.

Harper "was" the Conservative Party, without him there is no head to the animal. They'll need to find new leaders while their two or three distinct bases (western guns and god social cons, central-eastern blue liberals and small gov't supporting undecideds) fight amongst each other.

Meanwhile Trudeau will focus on growing his base at the detriment of the other parties. There's a good reason he's inviting Elizabeth May to the Paris climate change summit, since Trudeau can position himself as the green PM. By forcing 50% of his cabinet ministers to be women he's positioning himself as the feminist/women's PM.

Lastly, by enacting electoral reform, likely in the form of ranked ballets (IMO), Trudeau will ensure polarizing parties will never again win sufficient seats to form majority gov't without first compromising their principles to appeal to national voters, something the Cons are unlikely to accomplish. This electoral reform is also not necessarily good news for the Libs, since the electorate will be less inclined to hold their noses and vote strategically Liberal to block the Cons.

So, what is the future of the Cons?

Maybe I am wrong, but that whole "unite the right" thing could fall apart. The western Reform people and the eastern PC people will likely have their differences now that Harper doesn't control everything.

Also, could the party as a whole agree to be more moderate in their positions? Pretending to be the Reform Party didn't work this time.

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/10/26/red-tories-plan-ride-back-from-the-wilderness/

The return of the red Tories.

Last edited:
You act as if there are still PC people left in the Conservative party and people are merely angry at the Conservative's recent campaign, not angry at the way the Conservatives have been governing the country for the years according to textbook neoconservativism.

It's a party full of Harper loyalists now. People chosen for their ability to follow, not lead, who as MPs don't mind being muzzled in the House of Commons or during election campains. That's the way Harper likes it. But good luck to them finding a new leader I guess...

Last edited:
If they choose Thug Ford as their leader, you can guarantee they'll spend the next few election cycles in the political wilderness.

The Conservative Reform base is still largely intact in Western Canada. The Cons still have a majority of the seats in the Prairies and in most rural Alberta ridings they won 70%+ of the vote.

You act as if there are still PC people left in the Conservative party and people are merely angry at the Conservative's recent campaign, not angry at the way the Conservatives have been governing the country for the years according to textbook neoconservativism.

Rob Nicholson and Tony Clement are still there.

Meanwhile Trudeau will focus on growing his base at the detriment of the other parties. There's a good reason he's inviting Elizabeth May to the Paris climate change summit, since Trudeau can position himself as the green PM.

But he also invited Harper (or his replacement if picked in time) along with Mulcair.

By forcing 50% of his cabinet ministers to be women he's positioning himself as the feminist/women's PM.

I don't think he is forcing anyone to be a woman.........he is saying he has enough, talented, qualified women to ensure that 50% of his cabinet posts are occupied by women. ;)

But he also invited Harper (or his replacement if picked in time) along with Mulcair.

I don't think he is forcing anyone to be a woman.........he is saying he has enough, talented, qualified women to ensure that 50% of his cabinet posts are occupied by women. ;)

Trudeau is a champion of the transgender cause.

If they choose Thug Ford as their leader, you can guarantee they'll spend the next few election cycles in the political wilderness.

This needs to happen!

CBC News Alerts ‏@CBCAlerts 44s45 seconds ago
#Conservative caucus to meet in #Ottawa beginning November 5. Defeated MPs will be invited. #cdnpoli

Last edited:
Yes, I just can't see him being happy in any opposition role. He will pull a Prentice soon enough.

There is that - but also how would the other MPs feel talking (openly) about replacing Harper with Harper breathing down their neck, after all that had happened?

AoD

The Federal party is in just as much trouble as the provincial one.

Provincially, Wynne and McGuinty as been the worst leaders in Ontarios history. Bringing Ontario from economic powerhouse to have-not status, and unemployment rate below the national average, an increase in debt by 100%, an increase in debt to GDP by 45% (abt. 28% to 41%), not to mention scandal upon billion dollar scandal. All this and the Conservatives cannot win. One wonders what is needed for them to win.

Federally, Harper had the best economy in the G7, most jobs created in the G7, most admired country in the world, debt to GDP ratio holding steady at 30% (best in G7), and lowered taxes and scandals measured in thousands of dollars and not billions. All this and the Conservatives cannot win. One wonders what is needed for them to win.

It used to be that we voted Liberal until they screwed up and then switched to Conservative - and stuck with them until they messed up. Now it seems that we are doing the opposite - rewarding bad goverment and punishing good government. As long as Trudeau does poorly, it looks like he will be re-elected.

If Canada was some type of 3rd world country, I could see the Liberals changing the election rules to benefit themselves. They may even try to spin it as "democratic reform". However, I cannot imagine that Canadians would be dumb enough to fall for that story and I doubt even the Liberals would try to do such a manoeuvre.

Back