News   Mar 28, 2024
 104     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

What I Miss About Toronto In 60's

Pink legs in winter because girls weren’t allowed to wear pants to school.
Cops actually walked a beat.
Truant officer asking why you weren’t in school.
Men teachers wore suit and tie.
The night janitor letting us in to swim in the school pool.

Womens Bakery, especially the pot pies
Laura Secord
Watching the Gardiner being built
Toronto Star strike
Being offered Beatles concert tickets and parents said no, I’d be trampled
Swimming pools, Pears Park eg, were free
Swimming lessons were free thanks to Mayor D. Summerville

And it was pronounced “peers”. Outdoor skating rink in winter, and of course the large outdoor pool in summer. The rest of the park was just grass. All free to use.

Just remembered this while watching cooking shows....Harry’s restaurant somewhere around Bedford Park on Yonge...French fries and gravy. Also south of Lytton Blvd on east side of Yonge were toasted Danishes. Oh, and The Cosmic Cafe/House on Yonge at Lytton Blvd. Early beginnings for David Wilcox, and other jam sessions on weekends. A band from Barrie, called Neon Rose played there.

The chance to see someone like Chuck Berry at the Harvey's on the north side of Bloor near the old Varsity stadium after a concert; seeing bands like the James Cotton Blues Band at the colonial Tavern; the Swiss Chalet on Yonge; the Christmas window displays at Eaton's and Simpsons; Toyland at Eaton's; the buzz on Yonge Street and of course the record stores.

The knife sharpener man pulling his wheel, ringing a handbell.
Please Walk on the Grass signs at the Islands.
A real cafeteria at Lawrence Park CI.
All the school doors were unlocked.
The neighbourhood mothers each had their own noisemaker to call you home for dinner.
Milk delivered to the milk hatch.
Doors were only locked at night.
Playing tag games all over everyone’s backyards.
Jumping of garage roofs.
Tree swing ropes in the ravines.

We had a knife sharpener come down our street about 5 years ago, complete with a hand bell ...My wife and I as well as neighbours we were with outside at the time, thought we had all accidentally stepped into a time warp!! It was weird!

Is it still illegal for ice cream trucks to operate in Brampton?

LOL are you serious??? Illegal in Brampton???? Now I've heard everything...I thought Toronto's control on food trucks was overkill.

I live in Scarborough...the ice cream truck comes thru the Co-op every good weather day from March till early October.

Looking at this image of 1960s Toronto, you can see the lost chance to build parkland instead of a condo wall on the lakefront, and perhaps a huge urban park to the right of University Ave. The green space in front of City Hall should have been kept.

BRCBCVo.jpg

LOL are you serious??? Illegal in Brampton???? Now I've heard everything...I thought Toronto's control on food trucks was overkill.

I live in Scarborough...the ice cream truck comes thru the Co-op every good weather day from March till early October.

See link. On the streets of Brampton, yes. In a parking lot, no (kind of).

City council’s bylaws prohibit ice cream trucks from operating on public highways and public property in Brampton. They are a traffic safety hazard, particularly with children gathering around them along city streets.

The city, through its Enforcement Division, actively enforces bylaws against illegal ice cream trucks. Charges may be laid against the owner and/or operator under the city’s licensing bylaw (for operating without a licence), noise bylaw (for chimes) and traffic bylaw (for traffic violations). The city has recently successfully prosecuted a number of owners and operators resulting in significant fines, including several for $10,000 as well as one against a specific owner and operator for more than $60,000. This is a reflection of the courts’ concurrence with the city about how dangerous these vehicles can be in our community.

Ice cream trucks are restricted to operating only on non-residential private property (e.g. shopping malls), and only with written permission from the property owner and the issuance of a city refreshment vehicle licence. To obtain a licence, the vehicle must pass an inspection to ensure it is safe and mechanically sound as well as carry a valid licence plate and insurance. The operator is also required to provide clean driving and criminal records...

I remember the farmer stopping on my street (in the old City of Toronto) selling his produce off the back of his truck. They now have to use the markets set up in parking lots.

Back