News   Apr 18, 2024
 691     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

What I Miss About Toronto In 60's

Sunday service on the TTC was very sparse, especially in the outer reaches of Metropolitan Toronto. In fact, some routes did not even run on Sunday. And what is now the 905, there were zero Sunday service except for a very few routes, likely every hour.

Until 1972, in the Toronto area, we could get the audio of CBLT (Toronto CBC television) at 87.75 MHz. Since radio FM frequencies from from 88 to 108 MHz between VHF television Channels 6 and 7, you could get the CBLT audio on most FM radios. But only until 1972. See link.

Pink legs in winter because girls weren’t allowed to wear pants to school.

Men are still discriminated on an equivalent basis today. Offices and fancy restaurants have dress codes forcing men to wear dress shirts. Ties may be optional, but what's the point of a shirt without a tie relative to a pullover? In any case, I'm surprised this has gone completely unchallenged (and even unnoticed) in these freethinking times.

Last edited:
Men are still discriminated on an equivalent basis today. Offices and fancy restaurants have dress codes forcing men to wear dress shirts. Ties may be optional, but what's the point of a shirt without a tie relative to a pullover? In any case, I'm surprised this has gone completely unchallenged (and even unnoticed) in these freethinking times.

Men were starting to discard the suit at the summer CNE, but some men still wore ties. From link.

ice_cream_waffle_stand_in_midway_1961.jpg

As I grow older I enjoy dressing formally. I travel a lot for business, and whenever I go to a trade show in Europe or Asia, the men are wearing suits and wingtips, except for the North Americans who treat industry events as casual affairs in their golf shirts, khakis and loafers. My epiphany moment was in Germany about ten years ago with a customer from Italy visiting my booth. He looked smart as heck, with a three piece suit, cuff links, etc. His female companion was smoking too, but that’s another story. I said to myself after that meeting, I need to get myself a suit vest and sharpen my look. Now when I travel my trade events in Singapore, Shanghai, Nurnberg or St. Petersburg, no one mistakes me for an American.

Now, that’s a rant about business attire. Sorry to bring us into tangent territory. As for casual, out and about wear like at the CNE, a suit and tie isn’t necessary, but unless you’re qualified, ladies can you leave the yoga pants at home?

"Formal" wear changes over the centuries. Want to see what an EIGHTH century "business suit" looks like? Just go to a Roman Catholic mass. That "business suit" was what EVERYONE wore to the EIGHTH century mass, and to the royal court (without the religious designs, of course).

As I grow older I enjoy dressing formally. I travel a lot for business, and whenever I go to a trade show in Europe or Asia, the men are wearing suits and wingtips, except for the North Americans who treat industry events as casual affairs in their golf shirts, khakis and loafers. My epiphany moment was in Germany about ten years ago with a customer from Italy visiting my booth. He looked smart as heck, with a three piece suit, cuff links, etc. His female companion was smoking too, but that’s another story. I said to myself after that meeting, I need to get myself a suit vest and sharpen my look. Now when I travel my trade events in Singapore, Shanghai, Nurnberg or St. Petersburg, no one mistakes me for an American.

Now, that’s a rant about business attire. Sorry to bring us into tangent territory. As for casual, out and about wear like at the CNE, a suit and tie isn’t necessary, but unless you’re qualified, ladies can you leave the yoga pants at home?
Canada is more casual at dressing than USA at the conferences I attend.

Is it ok if i wear my pajama bottoms in public? :p Why do people find it acceptable to wear pajama bottoms out in public? How long does it take to throw on a proper pair of pants? Wherever I go, I try to look respectable and well put together. Even if I'm just running to Shoppers or the grocery store, you never know who you are going to bump into.

It's funny looking at old family photo's taken at fancy restaurants from 50s, 60s, 70s, . All the men in my family wearing a suit and tie. Even my grandfather who was a janitor, wore a suit and tie! Now a days i see guys in a fine dining restaurant in tacky beachwear, shorts, t-shirt and flip flops. Restaurant dress codes are a thing of the past.

It was only by the 1960's that the 5-day week became common. Usually, office people worked half-day Saturdays still after WWII. By the 1960's, full-time workers were actually able to enjoy the two-day weekend. The exemptions were the part-timers, as is today.

I travel a lot for business, and whenever I go to a trade show in Europe or Asia, the men are wearing suits and wingtips, except for the North Americans who treat industry events as casual affairs in their golf shirts, khakis and loafers.

And there should be nothing wrong with that. Formal attire shouldn't be based on old-fashioned styles and should evolve. Why don't men think of this? Women dress wear has evolved for decades. You think golf shirts are too casual? Women wear dressy T-shirts and tank tops!

Because people didn’t have nearly the disposible income nor free time to go to restaurants like we do today. It was a special event, so you dressed the part.

That is how men dressed in the 50s and 60s. Looks fancy now, but it was normal for them to wear a suit to a restaurant, hotel or to work, school. Restaurants had strict dress codes, some restaurants even had sport coat and tie rentals for those gentlemen who showed up to the establishment tie-less. it was a formal conservative time for mens fashion. Even the Beatles in the early 60s wore matching tailored suits with those drainpipe trousers.

Last edited:
On my recent trips to Shanghai and Seoul, I noted how single ethnic/monocultural those cities seemed. Having never lived in a single culture city (1970s Meadowvale, Mississauga was close), I wonder what life was like in 1960s Toronto before multiculturalism. Sure, we had a mix of Europeans, but I imagine dinner out at Ed's Warehouse on King St. was considered exotic.

On my recent trips to Shanghai and Seoul, I noted how single ethnic/monocultural those cities seemed. Having never lived in a single culture city (1970s Meadowvale, Mississauga was close), I wonder what life was like in 1960s Toronto before multiculturalism. Sure, we had a mix of Europeans, but I imagine dinner out at Ed's Warehouse on King St. was considered exotic.
1960's is when Toronto received the monikers of "Toronto the Good" and "New York run by the Swiss".

Back