News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

What does the new Council look like?

I'm surprised Bussin got as many votes as she did. I thought everyone, left and right, hated her after her bizarre performance as councillor. I guess some of the left are just as stupid as some of the right. ;)
Bussin was a very effective councillor; she worked hard, and got things done. Her office was very approachable and helpful. She made some mis-steps on a couple of issues, and been the subject of a huge smear campaign, but I'd hardly classify her performance as bizarre.

Had there not been such a strong leftie running, I doubt she'd have been unseated. Baker was the Conservative developer who had been battling her for a couple of years, and he finished far behind.

Bussin was a very effective councillor; she worked hard, and got things done. Her office was very approachable and helpful. She made some mis-steps on a couple of issues, and been the subject of a huge smear campaign, but I'd hardly classify her performance as bizarre.
Bizarre might not be the right word. Inappropriate is probably a better description.

As far as I'm concerned, she wasn't the victim of a smear campaign, she was the cause of it. Basically she smeared her own reputation with her actions, and rightfully got kicked to the curb.

The Easily convinced:
P.Milczyn
M.Grimes
J.Pasternak*
F.DiGiorgio
M.Berardinetti*
G.Crawford*
R.Moeser

Actually, I wonder how much Berardinetti belongs in that list, even if she's a defacto rightward shift from Heaps...

I'm surprised Bussin got as many votes as she did. I thought everyone, left and right, hated her after her bizarre performance as councillor. I guess some of the left are just as stupid as some of the right. ;)

I'm not surprised--token incumbent advantage, etc. And look: this is Sandra Bussin we're talking about, not Linda Jackson...

Bizarre might not be the right word. Inappropriate is probably a better description.

To do worse than she got, "inappropriate" would have to have involved, say, an Iris Robinson-esque sex scandal. Not the stuff that actually brought her down.

Oh, and re (Fresh Start's fave) Bruce Baker: he'd have been well behind anyway, but he threw his support to 3M in the final days...

I don't think they'll let Ford get rid of social programs. The good news for the Waterfront is that both Adam Vaughan and Pam McConnell were re-elected with significant margins. Landslide victories for both. They're not going to settle for a destruction of the waterfront plans that are the future of their wards. Both of them have a lot of left and centre support to ensure that their constituent's (and citizens at large) interests are protected.

Interesting in terms of UT with Vaughan winning in a landslide--after all, weren't a lot of UTers forecasting his defeat over the crusade-against-Clubland issue?

I should've mentioned Mammoliti, but I don't think he'll be "easily" convinced. He's too self-interested to be easily convinced. He'll be the squeaky wheel that usually ends up voting with Rob, but I'm guessing he's already vying for leadership of the too stupid, too politic, and/or too scared group (here I mean the Cho, Lee, Palacio, Ainslie, types) that will basically decide every major vote for the next four years. IMO, it will come down to Mammo or Thompson (and maybe Carroll). I think Mammo's too big a jerk to be any kind of coalition builder, but he's got way too much ego and awareness of power to not be one of the ones to try.

I'd take Thompson *very* seriously as a likely Ford-caucuser--and, heck, as replacement mayor, should Ford flame out...

The media are wondering if Ford will install the other Ford as deputy mayor.

Personally, I think that would be strategic mistake even if they think alike, because he has no experience.

Oh, and re (Fresh Start's fave) Bruce Baker: he'd have been well behind anyway, but he threw his support to 3M in the final days...
He threw his support so late, I'm not even sure many people knew. During the entire campaign, I only saw a single Baker sign ... I saw far more Begley signs (who finished 3rd).

Personally, I think that would be strategic mistake even if they think alike, because he has no experience.

I'm going to say that given that it was Doug that managed Rob's campaign, and Doug that backtracked on the streetcars in the star article, and Doug is the guy running Deco Labels, that it might well be Doug that is in control and Rob is just a big, goofy guy who has some ideas on his own (the customer service and football is probably Rob) but is largely being directed by Doug.

If Doug is really directing things behind the scenes, it's better for him to lay low and stay a back bencher.

*foil hat*

The happy as pigs in poop:
R.Ford
V.Crisanti
D.Ford
L.Luby
D.Holyday
F.Nunziata
D.Shiner
J.Parker
D.Minnan-Wong
M.Del Grande
N.Kelly

The Easily convinced:
P.Milczyn
M.Grimes
J.Pasternak*
F.DiGiorgio
M.Berardinetti*
G.Crawford*
R.Moeser

Few more in easily convinced.
C.Lee
R.Cho
A.Perruzza (he went on record!)
C.Palazio
J.Fillion
K.Stintz
Split:
A. Baialo
J.Colle
M.Augimari

Against - all supported by the NDP ( Some are rookies, so will see their co-operation level if they want anything done for their ward):
M.Layton - Rooki
M.Fragedakis - Rookie
G.Perks
K. Tam-Wong
A.Vaughan
P.McConell
J.Mihevic
P.Flectcher
S.Douchette - Rookie

The rest will probably flip/flop, but considering the 'mandate' Ford got, I can't see some of them really going against Ford. Especially once they see the final results of their ward.

Last edited:

My understanding is that D.Ford will be a backbencher... I hear rumours that Mike Del Grande or Doug Holiday will be Deputy Mayor

Just a bit of a reminder that of the 22 councilors who voted against Miller the most often, they voted in favour of Miller's position 37% of the time. There is certainly nothing to suggest that councilors will side with a mayor on everything just because someone thinks they fall under some broad "right-wing" category. If anything, I think the stats below show just how well Miller was able to moderate and gain consensus, which is what Ford will need to do, especially since he has a stronger opposition (in terms of quality, definitely. We will see about quantity.) this time around.

Curious to learn more about how Toronto council breaks down, I've put together of a list of how closely aligned with Miller each councillor is. I picked 20 major votes from the last session, and looked at how often each councillor voted the same way as Miller and his team. Here are the numbers, from most-anti-Miller to most pro-Miller:

• Case Ootes - 5.3% - (1 out of 19)
  • Rob Ford - 11.1% - (2 out of 18)
  • David Shiner - 13.3% - (2 out of 15)
  • John Parker - 21.1% - (4 out of 19)
  • Denzil Minnan-Wong - 22.2% - (4 out of 18)
  • Doug Holyday - 25.0% - (5 out of 20)
  • Michael Del Grande - 26.3% - (5 out of 19)
  • Cliff Jenkins - 26.3% - (5 out of 19)
  • Mike Feldman - 26.7% - (4 out of 15)
  • Frances Nunziata - 30.0% - (6 out of 20)
  • Karen Stintz - 31.3% - (5 out of 16)
  • Michael Walker - 33.3% - (6 out of 18)
  • Brian Ashton - 35.0% - (7 out of 20)
  • Chin Lee - 35.3% - (6 out of 17)
  • Peter Milczyn - 42.1% - (8 out of 19)
  • Michael Thompson - 43.8% - (7 out of 16)
  • Ron Moeser - 55.0% - (11 out of 20)
  • Gloria Lindsay Luby - 57.9% - (11 out of 19)
  • Cesar Palacio - 60.0% - (9 out of 15)
  • Paul Ainslie - 63.2% - (12 out of 19)
  • Norm Kelly - 70.0% - (14 out of 20)
  • Anthony Perruzza - 72.2% - (13 out of 18)
  • Bill Saundercook - 72.2% - (13 out of 18)
  • Suzan Hall - 75.0% - (15 out of 20)
  • Mark Grimes - 77.8% - (14 out of 18)
  • Frank Di Giorgio - 78.9% - (15 out of 19)
  • Maria Augimeri - 82.4% - (14 out of 17)
  • John Filion - 82.4% - (14 out of 17)
  • Giorgio Mammoliti - 85.7% - (12 out of 14)
  • Paula Fletcher - 94.1% - (16 out of 17)
  • Sandra Bussin - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Raymond Cho - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Howard Moscoe - 94.4% - (17 out of 18)
  • Shelley Carroll - 100.0% - (19 out of 19)
  • Janet Davis - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Glenn De Baeremaeker - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Adam Giambrone - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Adrian Heaps - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Pam McConnell - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Joe Mihevc - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Joe Pantalone - 100.0% - (18 out of 18)
  • Gord Perks - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)
  • Kyle Rae - 100.0% - (16 out of 16)
  • Adam Vaughan - 100.0% - (20 out of 20)

I put the members of the Executive Committee in italics. They are a special case as they are obligated to vote together with Miller on all major issues.

If you're interested in what the 20 votes were, here is what I used:

• 2009 Operating budget
  • 2010 Arts Funding increase
  • 2010 Operating budget
  • Banning Corportate/Union contributions
  • EMS essential designation
  • Taking down the Gardiner removal
  • Closing the Highland Creek incinerator
  • Jarvis Bike lanes
  • Land transfer tax
  • Buying new streetcars
  • Council pay freeze