The Easily convinced:
P.Milczyn
M.Grimes
J.Pasternak*
F.DiGiorgio
M.Berardinetti*
G.Crawford*
R.Moeser

Starred are new councilors that are new and there based on what I've heard a very very little bit about.

IMO the top 11 are going to be pushing forward with a Ford agenda as long as they're included in the process. Many do have enough of a mind of their own it won't be a simple Rob Ford show. Still, they'll be happy with many of the things he wants to accomplish.

The next seven are ones I'm fairly certain will be in the camp or close to it, especially as long as the political tides appear to be behind him.

If he plays his cards well and hits a couple solid doubles early in the term, he may get used to having majority support for any number of things. I hope he stays his intransigent self, but he campaigned so well I have to assume he'll know how to campaign among the 44 as well.

You're forgetting Mammolitti. As we've seen, he'll sell his soul to the devil and was already pre-emptively kissing Ford's ass during the campaign.

Still, that's not a majority of council. 19 VS 26.

What's your take on the flip side? Councillors that won't side with Ford by any measure and those that would be hard pressed to support some of his most tight fisted ideas?

Where is Mammoliti? I would put Mammoliti in the easily convinced group. His differences with Ford were entirely do to personality not ideology.

Also, not so sure about Lindsay-Luby. She and Ford don't get along, and she edged out a more right-wing candidate, John Campbell. She's a bit of a mystery.

I should've mentioned Mammoliti, but I don't think he'll be "easily" convinced. He's too self-interested to be easily convinced. He'll be the squeaky wheel that usually ends up voting with Rob, but I'm guessing he's already vying for leadership of the too stupid, too politic, and/or too scared group (here I mean the Cho, Lee, Palacio, Ainslie, types) that will basically decide every major vote for the next four years. IMO, it will come down to Mammo or Thompson (and maybe Carroll). I think Mammo's too big a jerk to be any kind of coalition builder, but he's got way too much ego and awareness of power to not be one of the ones to try.

As for Luby, I stick by it. Lots of councillors included don't get along with Ford all that well from what I could see, but the righties are going to be so eager to stick a vote or two up the NDP's ass a couple times, as long as Ford doesn't try to berate them into submission, they'll be on for his agenda.

I think you're going to see Adam Vaughn become the philosopher king of this council and perhaps even the outright favourite for 2014 if he wanted to run for mayor (in a two-person race, he'll run circles around Ford. Ford knows he can't compete with substance as he showed in this election). This is going to give him a lot of sway amongst his fellow councilors (particularly those looking ahead 4 years) and I'd imagine any compromises are going to go through him. So as much as Ford as mayor might pull some "lefties" to the "right" we're going to see some of the hard right stances moderated. This is exactly how council should work anyways.

jn_12. Great point. Vaughan is the likely 2014 candidate (unless he wants to play it safe and be a councillor for life). Nobody's gonna wanna upset him because everybody knows that he might be Mayor some day. The stage is set for a Two-Headed council with Ford VS Vaughan leading each side.

I'm looking forward to Vaughan running in 2014. It will get me through the next four years.

I'm not sure he'll run though. Who wants to run against a second term incumbent and risk losing their guaranteed job on council? He didn't run in this election with a wide open field, why would he chance it against a popular candidate like Ford?

I think he felt it was too soon to run this time around and probably also didn't want to run with Pantalone running, not wanting to split the vote.

I agree. A lot of my NDP friends voted for her. I knew Bussin was a left so I was surprised. McMahon will vote with the progressives, I believe.

I agree. A lot of my NDP friends voted for her. I knew Bussin was a left so I was surprised. McMahon will vote with the progressives, I believe.
She said the fully supports Transit City, and will fight to keep existing streetcars. Even I'm not that far left!

I'm not sure he'll run though. Who wants to run against a second term incumbent and risk losing their guaranteed job on council? He didn't run in this election with a wide open field, why would he chance it against a popular candidate like Ford?

Ford is popular today, but he'll have to run in 2014 based on his record and actual ideas beyond getting rid of the gravy train. Obviously we have 3 years before we or any candidate can even contemplate this so there's no point really speculating. I just think Vaughn is going to be a leader in this council and he'll put himself in a position to succeed going forward.

Sandra Bussin dug her own grave. She deserved what she got.

"3M" is a bit of a question mark. I've heard that she's this environmentalist that started farmers' markets etc. which may appeal to the granola crowd but she also backed by the likes of John Tory and Warren Kinsella. Her platform was very vague.

I'm surprised Bussin got as many votes as she did. I thought everyone, left and right, hated her after her bizarre performance as councillor. I guess some of the left are just as stupid as some of the right. ;)

Vaughan could win but if Ford still has widespread support among his base, it is going to be a dead heat.

Vaughan is a good guy, but he is as elitist and urban as you can get.

Back