News   Jul 03, 2024
 444     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 1.4K     0 

VIA Rail

^The saving grace of the new Ottawa depot has been that, until Ottawa began to sprawl, it is geographically very central, meaning that a last-mile taxi ride was pretty cheap and fast for both downtown travellers and for a good part of the inner burbs. And, while Ottawa is transit intensive, until fairly recently it was autocentric enough, and the Depot is very well situated, for people to be conveniently picked up and dropped off by car. I suspect the old depot would have been a lot less attractive for many as it would have meant schlepping that last mile into the downtown, where driving can be a bit more tedious.
I have used transit to reach the depot, and it worked fine, probably even better now that the LRT is running.... but if one is staying in a downtown hotel, the expense for a taxi to the train is not much to tack onto your bill.... and Ottawa's taxi's are a lot nicer than most places.

- Paul

As great as it would be to directly connect to downtown Ottawa, I think that the Confederation line does a good enough job of that (including with a tunnel) that I don't see there being value in tunneling HFR. In most cities, tunneling through downtown is used to enable through-running of existing rail lines, this would be tunneling to create a spur and add to travel times.
What needs to be done is a proper connection between the VIA station and the Tremblay LRT stop. I had to roll my suitcase through a slushy path during a snowstorm last November. It didn't seem well thought out at all.

What needs to be done is a proper connection between the VIA station and the Tremblay LRT stop. I had to roll my suitcase through a slushy path during a snowstorm last November. It didn't seem well thought out at all.

That is really the failing of Ottawa's station. Just imagine in Toronto or Montreal doing that.

That is really the failing of Ottawa's station. Just imagine in Toronto or Montreal doing that.

It's even worse now. Barriers for a taxi stand have been installed such that they completely block the sidewalk between the metro/lrt station and the via terminal. I had to walk along the roadway to make it to the Tremblay station when I returned from Montreal last week. The lack of any station integration is my single biggest disappointment with the lrt.

Last edited:
It's even worse now. Barriers for a taxi stand have been installed such that they completely block the sidewalk between the metro/lrt station and the via terminal. I had to walk along the roadway to make it to the Tremblay station when I returned from Montreal last week. The lack of any station integration is my single biggest disappointment with the lrt.
Well, what kind of Transit Agency would name its LRT station at the only intercity rail station in its core service area after the street on which the station is located rather than the station itself (as if “Train” wasn’t questionable enough as a name of the BRT station it replaced)?

I was outrightly shocked when looking at their maps they handed out on the opening day for their LRT and discovering that the importance they place on this (Ottawa) Union Station is the same as a random gym. I’m really bewildered that people here (and in other forums) suspect Metrolinx of an uncooperative (or even hostile) attitude towards VIA, when OC Transpo doesn’t think that the rail station is any of the top destinations worth highlighting to visitors and first-time users...

Well, what kind of Transit Agency would name its LRT station at the only intercity rail station in its core service area after the street on which the station is located rather than the station itself (as if “Train” wasn’t questionable enough as a name of the BRT station it replaced)?

I was outrightly shocked when looking at their maps they handed out on the opening day for their LRT and discovering that the importance they place on this (Ottawa) Union Station is the same as a random gym. I’m really bewildered that people here (and in other forums) suspect Metrolinx of an uncooperative (or even hostile) attitude towards VIA, when OC Transpo doesn’t think that the rail station is any of the top destinations worth highlighting to visitors and first-time users...
Via rail is still marked on the map, and when riding on the Confed Line, the announcer quite literally says "Tremblay - Via Rail". Its not that big of a deal. As a side note, from what I know the reason why there is no direct connection to the LRT is because Ottawa Station is considered a historical building, and a direct connection would have to go through a ton of red tape.

Via rail is still marked on the map, and when riding on the Confed Line, the announcer quite literally says "Tremblay - Via Rail". Its not that big of a deal.
Yes, exactly, a tourist booked on a train to Montreal or Toronto is expected to scan the entire map for a tiny dot labelled “VIA Rail”, which is a tiny fraction of the size of of the dot used for “Lycée Claudel”, a private school - thus a destination where 99.9% of the people who need to go there are going there on a daily basis and which is still deemed worthy of having a BRT station named after it (just like the LRT station “uOttawa”):
C1700810-069C-4FC9-B093-EE4D75EECCD9.jpeg

By the way, I was accompanied by two transit experts (one of them was Anton Dubrau, a former designer and programmer for the “Transit” App and author of the excellent “Cat-Bus” blog I have quoted here numerous times and which clearly makes him one of the most knowledgeable people about Transit Maps, as this post highlights) and neither was able to find the rail station in less than a minute (!). So, sorry, this is a big deal because if even a seasoned transit expert (who has written entire articles about your transit system) can’t find your city’s intercity rail station with 1.2 million passengers annually (i.e. more than 3,000 per day) on your transit map, you can safely consider it a complete failure, as it fails pathetically at the one thing it is designed for: allowing the average, occasional or first-time user to identify how to get to any of your city’s major destinations...!

Last edited:
It is indeed ridiculous that they dumped "Train" which was obvious enough for Tremblay. I don't know if that's as much the issue as how they mark it on maps. In other countries, stations can be named different things. But you can find them on the map. Even in a different language.

There is something even worse than the train station. The bus depot. Good luck to any tourist looking for that.

As a side note, from what I know the reason why there is no direct connection to the LRT is because Ottawa Station is considered a historical building, and a direct connection would have to go through a ton of red tape.

I think they could have done a covered and heated walkway without much resistance. Or even a tunnel to the inside. The historical designation as I understand it is based on the the inside of the station.

Yes, exactly, a tourist booked on a train to Montreal or Toronto is expected to scan the entire map for a tiny dot labelled “VIA Rail”, which is a tiny fraction of the size of of the dot used for “Lycée Claudel”, a private school - thus a destination where 99.9% of the people who need to go there are going there on a daily basis and which is still deemed worthy of having a BRT station named after it (just like the LRT station “uOttawa”):
View attachment 275371
By the way, I was accompanied by two transit experts (one of them was Anton Dubrau, a former designer and programmer for the “Transit” App and author of the excellent “Cat-Bus” blog I have quoted here numerous times and which clearly makes him one of the most knowledgeable people about Transit Maps, as this post highlights) and neither was able to find the rail station in less than a minute (!). So, sorry, this is a big deal because if even a seasoned transit expert (who has written entire articles about your transit system) can’t find your city’s intercity rail station with 1.2 million passengers annually (i.e. more than 3,000 per day) on your transit map, you can safely consider it a complete failure, as it fails pathetically at the one thing it is designed for: allowing the average, occasional or first-time user to identify how to get to any of your city’s major destinations...!
1602341322213.png

Actually I was referring to this map, but ye if you use that map I guess its kind of bad.
It is indeed ridiculous that they dumped "Train" which was obvious enough for Tremblay. I don't know if that's as much the issue as how they mark it on maps. In other countries, stations can be named different things. But you can find them on the map. Even in a different language.

There is something even worse than the train station. The bus depot. Good luck to any tourist looking for that.
Tbh I feel like the reason they dumped train was because it' be weird if you're riding on a train, and you arrive at "Train Station".

Meanwhile the Waterloo LRT already has a stop named for a train station which hasn't even started construction yet:
640px-Central_Station_Innovation_Centre_Station_%2832566229557%29.jpg

I wonder if the problem in Ottawa is that the Ottawa VIA station doesn't have a particular name like Toronto's "Union", Vancouver's "Pacific Central", Kitchener or Guelph's "Central", Montréal's "Centrale", Hamilton "Centre" etc. It does admittedly sound a bit weird to have an LRT station called "Train" station, or "Station" station. Perhaps they're trying to get "Tremblay Station" to catch on as the name for Ottawa's railway station - after all nobody complains that our "Union" subway station lacks an explicit mention of mainline railway trains. But if that's the case, VIA would need to be on board to call it Ottawa Tremblay station, just as they call it Toronto Union station..

If the name "Tremblay" doesn't catch on I think "Ottawa Station" could be an option for the name of the LRT station.

Last edited:
Meanwhile the Waterloo LRT already has a stop named for a train station which hasn't even started construction yet:

I wonder if the problem in Ottawa is that the Ottawa VIA station doesn't have a particular name like Toronto's "Union", Vancouver's "Pacific Central", Kitchener or Guelph's "Central", Montréal's "Centrale", Hamilton "Centre" etc. It does admittedly sound a bit weird to have an LRT station called "Train" station, or "Station" station. Perhaps they're trying to get "Tremblay Station" to catch on as the name for Ottawa's railway station - after all nobody complains that our "Union" subway station lacks an explicit mention of mainline railway trains. But if that's the case, VIA would need to be on board to call it Ottawa Tremblay station, just as they call it Toronto Union station..

If the name "Tremblay" doesn't catch on I think "Ottawa Station" could be an option for the name of the LRT station.

The station isn't on Belfast Road, but Belfast Station already sounds better to me. The immediate surrounding area isn't very interesting geographically, but if we were a bit closer to the Rideau River we could call it something like River or Riverview Station...
I wish there was more room for originality in North American rail station names...
However, if VIA HFR gets done this decade, I propose renaming the VIA and Otrain stations after whichever politician (or civil servant) pulls it off.
As the area around Ottawa VIA station develops (as I hope it does, despite being bounded by roads and rails), maybe it'll grow some kind of identity. Becoming a better intermodal hub would help, no doubt.
As the Catherine Street terminal winds down (officially named Ottawa Central Station! I forgot about that), I really hope intercity bus services move to the VIA station. I was scouting around and I saw this building which doesn't seem too bustling, and which would have a ~2 minute walk to the Tremblay Otrain stop.
1602361890819.png

Actually I was referring to this map, but ye if you use that map I guess its kind of bad.

When I'm visiting a new city, I tend to use "Metro" maps like the one you posted initially as the full route map is overwhelming. Only once I get more comfortable with the city do I look at the full route map to see if a bus will get me closer to where I want to go. I do agree that Ottawa's full route map has some serious issues though. For one it isn't a map but a diagram as it isn't to scale (they have compressed some distances to try and fit more detail on a single map. This can make it difficult to judge how far you will need to walk to get to your destination from a given stop..

Tbh I feel like the reason they dumped train was because it' be weird if you're riding on a train, and you arrive at "Train Station".

That makes a lot of sense. One idea would to rename the O-Train station to "Tremblay - VIA Rail."

The problem isn't unique to Ottawa. The Skytrain station for Pacific Central Station in Vancouver is called "Main Street–Science World." Their system maps are available in multiple levels of detail. Here is a clip of the most detailed "Downtown Vancouver" map:

Downtown Vancouver PCS.png

Zoom out one notch to the "Vancouver" map, and it doesn't even show the station (nor does the "Complete Metro Vancouver Transit System Map").

Downtown Vancouver PCS.png

Now granted VIA only has occasional service, but Amtrak does have a couple trains a day..

I think that is partially the goal actually. I went to Ottawa for first year of uni last year, and a lot of us started calling the intercity train station Tremblay because of the Otrain Station.

Last edited:

Back