News   Jul 15, 2024
 84     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

VIA Rail

I've heard rumours of CN using this line for more through freight service connecting to their yards in the GTA, including double-stack trains. Hopefully this means track improvments.

Without some very, very substantial improvements to the fixed plant, this is exceedingly unlikely. There are virtually no online sidings on the line capable of handling a freight train of any substantial length to schedule meets.

VIA has also expressed interest in buying the London East to Kitchener segment from CN, however I haven't heard of any progress on this.

Indeed, as far as I can gather this is still on their radar although there has been no public pronouncements about it for quite some time. I wonder if there is a need to wait until CN takes back possession of the line before they are able to announce anything more concrete.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Didn't the Sarnia train at one point go via Woodstock, at least for one of the trips?

The slowest part of that trip is now between Kitchener and London, with the last schedule I looked at suggesting it can take 2 hours to travel the relatively short distance.

Is there not also a slow order on the Paris bridge? Or have they fixed it?

For those interested, VIA Rail is currently holding its Annual Meeting and also accepts questions through a form:
https://studiocast.ca/client/viarail/event/3951/en/
upload_2018-5-29_15-39-15.png

The webcast will also be available later on Youtube...

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-29_15-39-15.png
    upload_2018-5-29_15-39-15.png
    42.6 KB · Views: 414
I would also assume that directional running agreements will revert to home territory and VIA will follow CN in the affected areas.

Which will be doubly painful, since CN has ripped out many of the sidings in DRZ's. Its own traffic will be choked on its own rails.

- Paul

Which will be doubly painful, since CN has ripped out many of the sidings in DRZ's. Its own traffic will be choked on its own rails.

- Paul

Indeed. CN has sent out a memo stating that for the duration of the strike that many southbound trains are to be broken into two trains for the run through the DRZ between Perry Sound and Sudbury.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Indeed. CN has sent out a memo stating that for the duration of the strike that many southbound trains are to be broken into two trains for the run through the DRZ between Perry Sound and Sudbury.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It will be ironic if running shorter trains, which gives more opportunity to use all available sidings, actually works better for CN. It will cost more in labour, but it will demonstrate how the rampant cost cutting of the last decade has actually harmed railway operational flexibility - which is what is hurting VIA so much on the transcontinental routes.

- Paul

Can some explain to me the Sudbury to White River service and why it still exists? Not saying it shouldn't, but with all the cancellations to VIA services that have been made over generations, why did this one persevere?

Can some explain to me the Sudbury to White River service and why it still exists? Not saying it shouldn't, but with all the cancellations to VIA services that have been made over generations, why did this one persevere?

Because there are towns (settlements) along the route that are only reachable by rail. It might be cheaper in the long run to just build a road though, or maybe even offer to relocate residents willing to move.

As far as I am aware it is part of VIA's 'mandated' service to provide service to isolated communities, similar to the northern Quebec routes They might have to do the same thing if VIA switched to CP although I don't know the demographics along the CN line that well). I'm not exactly sure any government would be willing to forcibly or effectively relocate anyone like they did in Newfoundland. That was extremely controversial and sometimes involved the removal of other government services (health care, schools, etc.).

Last edited:

Back