News   Jul 15, 2024
 60     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

VIA Rail

It may be possible, but it's more likely that they'll order both separately and interchange locomotives in electrified areas (like along the barrie corridor, the kitchener corridor eventually, and the Lakeshore corridor). For even shorter train journeys, they may just keep one of each on the train (ie Union to Niagra). The case for having electric locomotives will greatly increase if that rail deck park is ever built.

Of note is that the RFQ says that VIA wants an option for more trainsets, and I'd assume it would be exercised if HFR moves ahead. More dual modes may be included in this later order, especially if the Feds choose the electrified option for HFR, which mean the whole line will need electrics.

^Unless the RFQ was reissued differently, the one I read alluded to 'later upgrade' from Diesel...whatever that means.

In the event, a hybrid with enough power for mainline running in either mode is not desirable both for performance and cost reasons. It is likely that VIA would order "complete trainsets bi-directional" with a diesel Charger on either end, not least since it can be broken into two shorter trains as VIA now does on some runs to take only one slot on busy lines. Brightline is running their rear diesel deadhead with the shorter trains they're now running.

Another possibility for VIA is diesel one end, driving trailer the other, and this is already used in Austria where the Charger's predecessor was developed. This will allow an electric loco one end come the time, and diesel the other, desirable for many reasons, not the least acquisition of the electric facet only when needed.
[...]
History[edit]
Rather than choosing electric multiple units (EMUs) such as ICE 3 or Shinkansen, ÖBB opted for locomotive-hauled push-pull high-speed trains, which could be hauled by its existing fleet of Taurus high-speed Siemens EuroSprinter electric locomotives.[7][note 3] On 9 February 2006, 9 months after receiving sealed bids, the board of directors of the Austrian Federal Railways awarded Siemens a contract to build 23 sets of 7-coach trains, with the Siemens design viewed to be the best as well as the least expensive.[8][9] In September 2007 Siemens received an additional order for 44 more Railjet trains from the Austrian Federal Railways.[10] The total value of the order was €798 million for 469 passenger carriages.[11]

In September 2011 Siemens agreed the sale of sixteen Railjet trainsets to the Czech Railways (České Dráhy); the sets should have been originally built for an uncompleted order for ÖBB,[12] ČD's trainsets were to be hauled by Škoda's ČD Class 380 electric locomotives.[13] In 2012 Czech Railways cancelled the order.[14] A reduced order of seven viaggio comfort trainsets was agreed in August 2012.[15]

In June 2014 ÖBB took up an option for a remaining nine railjets from Siemens, planned to be used on the Westbahn route between Wien and Salzburg and will also be equipped to operate in Italy.[16]

The first unit was produced on 15 September 2008, and put on display at Graz, then Innotrans in late September and then at Salzburger Verkehrstage on 15 October.[17] The first railjet trains began test runs in late 2008.[17][18]

A Railjet train set consists of seven individual coaches that are permanently coupled with airtight interconnections,[citation needed] but with buffer and hook couplings on the outer ends of the set of coaches suitable for buffer and chain screw coupling[19] Two complete train sets with two locomotives can be run as a pair giving a train of fourteen carriages.[20] The coach furthest from the locomotive acts as a control car. The number of carriages per train can be extended up to ten in a single train unit.[21]

The industrial design company Spirit Design was contracted to provide an exterior and interior design,[22] three colour schemes were presented and the livery to be used was decided by poll conducted by the Austrian tabloid Kronen Zeitung.[23] In 2009 the railjet design was given a Red Dotaward.[24][25]

Traction[edit]
See also: EuroSprinter
The Railjet vehicles are designed to be propelled in push-pull mode by standard electric locomotives, specifically the Siemens ES64U2 and ES64U4 (ÖBB Class 1116 and 1216 Taurus) already owned by the Austrian Federal Railways, but can also be hauled by any other electric or diesel locomotives.[3]

The first twenty three ÖBB Class 1116 locomotives used in Railjet service were given a number of modifications: a third pantograph and the relevant train safety systems for operating outside Austria (Hungary, Switzerland and the Czech Republic) and a silver-colored side skirt below the floor level, giving a more streamlined appearance. A second set of twenty locomotives were equipped only for work in Austria and Germany and did not receive the side panels or extra systems for international working.[23]
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railjet

Here's the list of Siemens locomotives including diesel:
https://www.mobility.siemens.com/mo...l-solutions/locomotives/reference-list-en.pdf

With the latest trade imbroglios with Trump, it seems ever more likely that Siemens might be best to bid with a European made model adapted with FRA approved couplers, or adaptors to them. It might be high time for VIA to join the advanced world in coupler types, especially since the order is for *trainsets* not individual locos and coaches.

Here's the latest dump from Trump:
Trump calls Trudeau ‘dishonest and weak,’ instructs U.S. officials not to endorse G7 communique

ROBERT FIFE
QUEBEC CITY, OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
PUBLISHED JUNE 9, 2018UPDATED 34 SECONDS AGO
The Group of Seven summit ended in acrimony Saturday with Donald Trump calling Justin Trudeau “dishonest and weak” and the Prime Minister declaring he won’t be “pushed around” by the U.S. President.

An angry Mr. Trump threatened to hit Canadian and European automobile exports to the U.S. with stiff tariffs after Mr. Trudeau criticized him for his steel and aluminum levies.

Such an action could cripple Canada’s auto industry and set off a full-scale trade war.
[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...ries-treat-us-like-a-piggy-bank-to-be-robbed/

Some posters think this is nothing, and it will all happily disappear and we'll all just get along like happy campers...Fat chance.

We have CETA with zero tariffs. Time to start using it, and avoid the neighbours from hell.

Last edited:
Since VIA want equipment that could later be modified for dual mode operations, Bombardier might also be a good contender. The ALP-45DP is built in Germany, so it wouldn't be affected by any US tariffs. I'm sure Bombardier could also design and build a single level passenger car in Canada. Of course Siemens is also in a good position. The upcoming VIA order might bring a large enough economy of scale to justify building FRA compliant trains outside of the US, if that's what VIA wanted.

Is their a dual mode acs/charger variant? Or is that the alp 45 dp

A third rail dual mode version for NYC is supposedly on the horizon, but a dual mode that uses overhead catenary might be heavier and require more parts. We will just have to wait and see who responded to the RFP, and what designs they have proposed.

A third rail dual mode version for NYC is supposedly on the horizon,
Already extant. It doesn't have the power or the bogies to run at VIA's needs.

The ALP-45DP is built in Germany
Dual modes that have a diesel prime as powerful as the electric are very heavy, a service challenge, twice the cost, roughly twice the weight, and dragging the unused motor when using the other. Not to mention double the axle load and thus multiples more wear factor on passenger high-speed tracks and perhaps increased track needs and costs.

Without electric being available for full loading gauge not foreseeable at this time, why would VIA want to pay for liability now when the possibility can be built in to upgrade to electric hybrid later? The only possible 25kVAC stretch of line is being seized by REM, and the tunnel shrunk in diameter that won't allow loco hauled stock to fit. Only EMUs will fit, if an agreement is made with the Quebec Gov't. Frankly, something stinks about the legality of the move, as I can't find an application to the CTA to abandon the line (Mt Royal) for its present use.

Here's the RFQ:
VIA RAIL LAUNCHES RFQ TO REPLACE ITS QUEBEC-WINDSOR CORRIDOR FLEET
Monday, April 16th 2018

MONTREAL, April 16, 2018 – VIA RailCanada (VIA Rail) has launched phase 1 of its procurement process to select the supplier who will manufacture the rolling stock to replace the current fleet that operates in the Quebec-Windsor Corridor. The fleet renewal is part of VIA Rail’s transformation plan to lead Canadians towards a more sustainable future.

Funding to replace VIA Rail's corridor fleet was provided by the federal government in its 2018 Budget. VIA Rail is looking for interested parties to submit their qualifications for consideration. Phase1, the request for qualifications (RFQ), will allow VIA Rail to create a short list of suppliers to participate in a subsequent request for proposal (RFP) process.

VIA Rail is looking to procure a new fleet that meets the following key criteria:

• 9,100 passenger seats, provided by 32 bi-directional trainsets;
  • Enhanced universal accessibility features, including accessible washroom and multiple accommodations for wheelchairs and other mobility aids and devices on the trains;
  • More fuel-efficient, Tier 4 Diesel engines, with the option to operate on electrified rail infrastructure as it becomes available
  • Ability for trainsets to be bi-directional (push-pull mode)

Quotes

"With a new fleet, VIA Rail will be able to offer a modern travel experience to its customers, at a greatly reduced environmental impact. Passengers will be able to travel more quickly, in safer, better-adapted vehicles to modern life: improved wi-fi; quiet and pet-friendly cars; oversized luggage compartments for skis, bikes and boards. It will also allow VIA Rail to remain the most accessible mode of transport in Canada for people with disabilities, by meeting or in certain areas, exceeding universal accessibility standards. This important milestone of our transformation plan will convince more Canadians that VIA Rail is truly the smarter way to travel in the Quebec City-Windsor corridor.”

Yves Desjardins-Siciliano
President and Chief Executive Officer, VIA Rail Canada

"We thank the Government of Canada for their confidence in VIA Rail. This investment recognizes the increased demand for safer, faster and environmentally-friendlier public transportation options for intercity travel. We are committed to ensuring a fair, open, rigorous and transparent bidding process that will ensure best use for taxpayer money. We intend to provide Canadians on-going progress reports as we move forward with this important investment.”

Françoise Bertrand
Chairperson of the Board of Directors

Quick Facts

• An independent Fairness Monitor will oversee and report on this RFQ and every step in the procurement process.
  • VIA Rail will base its selection of qualified suppliers on the following criteria: Financial Capacity, Supplier Experience, Proposed Solution and Deliverability

Key Dates in Procurement Process

PHASE 1 – REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ)

• RFQ Release: April 16, 2018
  • RFQ Submission Deadline: June 6, 2018 at 2:00 PM EDT
  • RFQ Response Evaluation Completion: June 2018

PHASE 2 – REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP)

• RFP Release to Shortlisted Proponents: June 2018
  • Proposal Submission Deadline: September/October 2018
  • Contract Award: December 2018
https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via...018-via-rail-launches-rfq-to-replace-its-queb

Also:
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/new-fleet/VIA Rail Corridor Fleet Renewal Project - Request for Qualifications (Issuance Version) (English).pdf

The upcoming VIA order might bring a large enough economy of scale to justify building FRA compliant trains outside of the US, if that's what the government wants.
The CETA agreement allows recognition of EC and UIC standards for rail equipment. Whether or not Transport Canada has got the memo or not is another question. It's time they did. Even now VIA equipment can't operate the other side of border due to insufficient signal and control capability (our problem, not the US') so there's nothing to lose by adopting a much more universal standard than what is now mandated by TC. This would have to have happened anyway if Talgo or others were bidding. These are unit-coupled trainsets, and drawbar and other couplings are in use even in the US at this time.

Addendum: It may be premature to open a Trade and Tariff string at this site, but it will have to happen soon.

Meantime, in the Washington Post, and this story has only been up an hour or so:

Trump removes U.S. from G-7 joint statement over escalating feud with Canada’s Trudeau
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...8eb28bc52b1_story.html?utm_term=.d33fff789f8c

It's even better than the NYTimes in terms of thoroughness and detail describing Canada's position, Trudeau featured in print and videos, even more than the Globe or Star at this time.

But note in the hour or so as to how many reader comments are up:
Comments

That's right, 15,200+ comments. June 9 at 10:59 PM, In 2 hours.

Last edited:
I'm sure Bombardier could also design and build a single level passenger car in Canada.
It might be cheaper to adapt one of their European designs and assemble them here. Example:
Passenger Coach I11 - Belgium
OverviewTechnical DataTechnical Drawing
The I11, a modern passenger coach of the SNCB was supplied to Belgian Railways in 1996 and 1997 at a level of 163 vehicles. Its new concept of interior space distribution and seating arrangement based on Bombardier's high-speed train technology and experience created a high level of comfort to passengers, drivers and supervising crew. At a speed of 200 km/h the coaches, identified by the SNCB (Belgian Railways) as I11, have a maximum noise level of only 65 dB(A). Other features making the vehicles attractive to the public are the air-conditioning, the comfortable seats and the indirect lighting system. Technical advantages are the secondary air suspension, the automatically operated interior doors and the passenger information displays inside, above the compartment doors, and on the outside of the coach. An area for wheelchairs as well as a toilet for disabled people is included to meet all of the passengers' needs and requirements.
https://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/projects/project.i11-belgium.html?f-region=asia-pacific

The upcoming VIA order might bring a large enough economy of scale to justify building FRA compliant trains outside of the US, if that's what VIA wanted.
I suspect the opposite: Canada producing rail equipment to export to the world that meets UIC specs. It's generations past time that Transport Canada adapted to CETA and future trade deals Canada is likely to sign, TPP or a variation of now more likely than ever.

To correct any misconceptions claimed by another poster, I have never espoused "banning" US based companies or the US branches of international companies from bidding. What I have stated and stand behind is that Canada matches 'tit-for-tat' or more that tariffs be added on US sourced orders. It's not the companies per-se having a 'rider' on their bid, it's the country of origin, or the content added in that country, that being the US in this case. Multi-nationals can get around that by supplying from nations with who we have a trade deal that states "zero tariffs". Siemens is well placed to doing that. BBD only produces in the US to satisfy "America only" clauses, so supplying a variation of the ALP45 with a larger diesel prime mover upgradable later to full hybrid would be a candidate. I suspect BBD have something far more suitable in their European catalog that will constitute zero tariff under CETA. They must submit a *trainset* though, or a consortium using differing manufacturers components. The ALP45 is a pretty heavy package. Something more svelte would be more likely submitted. It must be an extant design and already proven in service, the ALP45 might have trouble satisfying all the technical requirements of the RFQ/P.

The Traxx series might be contenders, albeit VIA is complication their own process by stating (gist) "upgradeable later" as that conflicts with "proven in service". This might be a process of seeing what's proposed by various bidders and re-writing the RFQ to fit.

I can't see any need at this time to complicate the process for the sake of 'theoretical need for electric' later. At that time, order electric only and run them in tandem with diesel locos the other end of the consist, if needed at all.

Again, if Transport Canada comes up to speed, with modern couplers and control systems, locos can be added or dropped off consists in minutes.

Last edited:
Dual modes that have a diesel prime as powerful as the electric are very heavy, a service challenge, twice the cost, roughly twice the weight, and dragging the unused motor when using the other. Not to mention double the axle load and thus multiples more wear factor on passenger high-speed tracks and perhaps increased track needs and costs.

Without electric being available for full loading gauge not foreseeable at this time, why would VIA want to pay for liability now when the possibility can be built in to upgrade to electric hybrid later? The only possible 25kVAC stretch of line is being seized by REM, and the tunnel shrunk in diameter that won't allow loco hauled stock to fit. Only EMUs will fit, if an agreement is made with the Quebec Gov't. Frankly, something stinks about the legality of the move, as I can't find an application to the CTA to abandon the line (Mt Royal) for its present use.

Dual modes are pricier and heavier (although I don't think they're twice as heavy). I have heard that ALP-45DPs require more maintenance and fuel than regular diesels. Given that (as you mentioned) significant electrification along the corridor is likely years away, it might make more sense to buy new diesels. If more tracks are electrified in the future (justifying a purchase of electric locomotives), I'm sure VIA could put diesels to use elsewhere.

Dual modes are pricier and heavier (although I don't think they're twice as heavy). I have heard that ALP-45DPs require more maintenance and fuel than regular diesels. Given that (as you mentioned) significant electrification along the corridor is likely years away, it might make more sense to buy new diesels. If more tracks are electrified in the future (justifying a purchase of electric locomotives), I'm sure VIA could put diesels to use elsewhere.
I'll see if I can dig out a more detailed comparison of hybrid weight and cost comparisons, they have been posted in this string prior, but the effective denominator is that one hybrid = the cost of two separate locos, one electric, the other diesel, and track forces increase geometrically rather than arithmetically at effectively twice the weight. This also results in complexities for bogie handling too. Hybrids are not the sum of two purpose built diesel or electric locos. For higher speed passenger, they are a compromise of both, jack of both roles, master of none. It works for freight or local passenger when needed to run off-grid for short distances. Just digging for the Class that the UK Southern Region has used for generations, and very reliable by UK standards (lol, which is not that great), I realize there's a modern replacement we haven't heard much about in NorthAm. That may be about to change: (note: This is an outgrowth of the Class 66 EMD assembled in London, Ontario...a point I'll discuss further in a later post and Nafta problems)(EMD also have ties to Siemens)
The Class 88 is a type of mixed traffic electro-diesel locomotive manufactured by Stadler Rail for Direct Rail Services in the United Kingdom. The design is part of the Stadler Euro Dual family.

[...]
Background[edit]

In January 2012, Direct Rail Services announced that it had ordered a total of 15 new diesel locomotives from Vossloh España (now Stadler Rail). These locomotives, which entered service in the UK as Class 68, were part of Vossloh's Eurolight family, redesigned to fit the smaller UK loading gauge.[1]

In September 2013, DRS announced that it was procuring a further ten locomotives. Unlike the Class 68s, these new units would be electro-diesel locomotives, capable of operating either via OHLE, or by using an onboard diesel engine. However, the new locomotives would feature the same bodyshell, cab, brakes, bogies, traction equipment and control software as the Class 68.[2] The new locomotives were announced as being Class 88.[3]

The first locomotive, no. 88 002, was delivered to the UK via the Port of Southampton and was transferred by road to Carlisle in January 2017.[4] They entered service in July 2017.[5]

Specification[edit]
The Class 88 is part of the Stadler Euro Dual family. This is a range of dual mode locomotives that are fitted both with a pantograph, to collect electricity from overhead wires, and a Caterpillar diesel engine. The UK version is able to run either on electrified lines using the pantograph, which is the UK's standard OHLE current at 25kV AC, or away from electrified lines with the Caterpillar C27 950 hp (710 kW) engine. Dual mode locomotives have been mooted for freight use in the UK, using the "Last Mile" principle, where a primarily electric locomotive is fitted with a small diesel engine to allow locomotives to run without a load to unelectrified freight sidings.[6] However, the Class 88 is a fully dual mode locomotive, with the diesel engine powerful enough to haul a train on its own, although with only 20% of the power in electric mode.[7] The Class 88s is the first dual mode locomotives in the UK to use the 25kV AC electrification, as the only other electro-diesel locomotives to have entered service on the British network were the Class 73 and Class 74, which operated in the Southern Region using third rail electrification.[8]

Operation[edit]

Cab interior
Direct Rail Services has procured the Class 88 to serve as a mixed-traffic locomotive, capable of operating both passenger and freight services.[7]Primarily they are used to enable DRS to haul freight using electric locomotives without the need to hire in electric traction from other operators.[8]However, as with the Class 68, they will also be capable of operating passenger trains. [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_88

These would have a loading gauge (distinct from track gauge, which is international standard) more akin to the LRC locos. Whether there's a variant specifically for passenger with taller gearing to up the top speed is a good question, and whether that could be tailored to meet VIA's requirements. From memory, this family of locos and assembled trainsets get high marks where the earlier 'trucks' (66s) are excellent for reliability and tractive effort, but run like...well..'trucks' in the cabs, to the point that the drivers union had a grievance on them. I feel naive now, as I should have been more aware of this model, and why EMD assigned the development and build to Vossloh.

Here's the years I missed on this:
Stadler completes purchase of Vossloh Rail Vehicles - Railway Gazette

Very interesting...Stadler are already making inroads into the US rail market, including setting up shop...

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_Euro_Dual

I'm sure VIA could put diesels to use elsewhere.
I totally agree, by the time electrification becomes reality, and even if, then any modern diesels can be cascaded to the non-electrified lines which would then require an order of coach consist compatible electrics and/or diesel/electric hybrids. I'd opt for dedicated types (diesel or electric) as hybrids are problematic in so many ways other than the diesel being an auxiliary emergency low-speed back-up.

Last edited:
Further to above:
Late edit: And this is where it gets incredibly incestuous: (this is the Stadler four-axle Euro 3000,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_Euro#cite_note-6 and the six-axle Euro 4000. that the above link supersedes):
[...]
In the mid-2000s development of a new series finally seemed economically viable; becoming part of Alstom's Prima locomotive programme. Development of the programme was started under Alstom supervision, but as the Alstom Valencia plant was bought by Vossloh this series got the Vossloh name: Vossloh Euro.[6]

The family can be traced back to the Electro-Motive Diesel engined, Valencia built JT 42BW, JT 42CW and JT 42HW-HSfamily which were built in various configurations (including 4 and 6 axle variants) for both Israel Railways and English, Welsh and Scottish Railway (as the Class 67); these locomotives used the same GM-EMD engines and traction motors and had similar body shells to the products later built at the Valencia plant under Vossloh's ownership.[citation needed]

In 2004 the Valencia plant left Alstom ownership and was bought by Vossloh; because of this change of ownership there are many similarities between the Vossloh Euro locomotives, the Alsthom/GM-EMD JT42 locomotives.[citation needed] [...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadler_Euro

Are the above mentioned locus capable of push pull operation as specified in the tender? I think via is looking for something like the charger. Hopefully they will be more variety to choose from since the charge isn't the most prettiest of locos for passenger rail

Are the above mentioned locus capable of push pull operation as specified in the tender? I think via is looking for something like the charger. Hopefully they will be more variety to choose from since the charge isn't the most prettiest of locos for passenger rail
Yes. Bear in mind that GO trains are 'push-pull'.

So long as it has an industry-standard 27-pin MU system, any locomotive can be used in push-pull operation.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

^And things are moving faster on this than emotion alone would have indicated. Clearly, from at least one poll, the vast majority of Cdns are backing the PM on his stance as are all parties in the Commons.
Where to turn when your biggest trading partner gets 'nasty': Canada trying to accelerate Pacific deal, encourage trade in Europe
There's never been a better time to diversify, one expert says
Marie-Danielle Smith
June 12, 2018
5:55 PM EDT

OTTAWA — With the terms of the Canada-U.S. trading relationship uncertain, the Canadian government plans to table legislation Thursday to ratify a trans-Pacific trade agreement and is expects it will soon have additional trade commissioners on the ground in Asia and Europe to encourage exports to new tariff-free markets, according to a senior official.

The U.S.’s imposition of tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum, an investigation into tariffs on autos and the seemingly endless renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement have added impetus to Canada’s efforts to trade with other partners. While the U.S. remains by far Canada’s biggest trading partner, the volatility of that relationship under U.S. President Donald Trump and its direct effect on the livelihoods of Canadians has been put into sharp relief over the past few weeks.
[...]
http://nationalpost.com/news/politi...lerate-pacific-deal-encourage-trade-in-europe

Article is not subscription. It is highly recommended. Oddly or not, the NatPost is even more steeped on this issue than the Globe, albeit any reputable press in Canada is backing this.

As is the Financial Times and even the WSJ, the both of the latter behind paywalls save for the beginning of featured articles. For the FT, Google, and access the story from the Google link that shows from your search which will then take you behind the paywall. (Edit: Depending on how your cookies are managed, you might have to try 'incognito' mode of browser, or close any other open FT pane on your browser)

It's no longer a case of 'tit-for-tat'...it's a case of 'hey, we have to look after number 1' and we'll do that with trade allies. Is it going to cost us extra? It will no matter what we do, so it's high time to get started on this.

Personally, I think VIA should put a hold on the RFP/Q until *the full scope* of tariff free options are made clear. In a way, this may be one of the best things to ever happen to Cdn rail. Sometimes getting thrown in the deep end is how you learn to swim.

Will this all "blow over"? These are surly American politicians (and I feel badly for the good American people caught in this too) and these folks pack guns. They're the NRA writ large. The thing they're prone to respect is others protecting themselves. So be it. We have to ready our defences to deter any further attacks, and meantime consult with trade allies. Canada is far from alone on this...

If we don't make a principled stand, we're toast.

Last edited:
Compared to the F40, GP40, F59 for three off the top of my head, it's a beauty queen. Of course J-trains will probably demand that we will get the snub nosed version instead of the even better looking Brightline nose

Back