News   Oct 04, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     5 

UT's 3rd Annaul "Pride Weekend Bender!"

Re: UT's 3rd Annaul Pride Weekend Bender!

Coming from the "soccer mom news" station that used to be scared to cover anything south of Eglinton, this is actually pretty surprising and slightly out of character for old CFTO. Probably a recognition on their part that both their audiece and the city at large is becoming increasingly urban and diverse...

CTV Toronto Signs Three Year Sponsorship Deal with Pride Week

CTV Toronto announced today it has signed a three-year deal as the exclusive broadcast sponsor of Pride Week through 2008. As the exclusive broadcast sponsor, CTV will have unprecedented access and profile throughout the dynamic week, one of the premiere cultural events of the summer in Toronto, and will debut its very own CTV Toronto float in the parade on Sunday, June 25.

As part of the sponsorship, CTV has unveiled on-air and on-line campaigns that profile Pride Week and feature a variety of CTV Toronto personalities declaring, " I have pride". From a news perspective, CTV Toronto's #1 news team will also be on hand to cover the major Pride Week events with regular ongoing reports.

Today's announcement represents the latest in a string of sponsorship deals with numerous festivals and major charities this summer and underscores CTV's commitment to playing a key role in Toronto's diverse cultural fabric. CTV Toronto has also signed on as the exclusive television sponsor for the
following Toronto events: the Beaches' Jazz Festival, Taste of Toronto, the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life, Toronto's Outdoor Art Exhibition, the Junction Arts Festival and the Toronto Buskerfest. The network will also
sponsor the Chinese Lantern Festival at Ontario Place and The World Dragon Boat Championship. CTV's Community Cruiser will also be travelling throughout the city this summer distributing more than 50,000 CTV Toronto promotional prizes.

Together, these sponsorship initiatives compliment CTV Toronto's ongoing "Community Connection" campaign. In addition to having a paramount presence throughout Toronto this summer, CTV is currently airing a series of on-air promotions that profile the personal connection many of the network's anchors and reporters have with the city.

------------------------------

And another media sponsor, sort of surprising as well, but as far as the Rogers stations in this city go (CHFI and 680 News being the other two), it's probably the one that makes the most sense...

92.5 JACK FM, Toronto Is Major Radio Supporter of Pride 2006

92.5 JACK FM is proud to be a major "Radio" supporter of the "2006 Pride" celebrations in Toronto.

The radio station will be featured in the annual Pride Parade which takes place on Sunday June 25 and our participation in the parade will include the station's "Special Events" vehicle, mascot and representatives.

92.5 JACK FM will also have a booth on-site on Church Street where JACK representatives will be distributing free "Limited Edition JACK Rainbow Slinkeys" to the first 5,000 people to visit their display. The rainbow image is the international Gay symbol and also signifies support for the Gay Community.

"We're proud to support the Gay Community and show our support of 'Pride 2006' which is such a vibrant and exciting community celebration in our city. We wanted to do something very special for Pride 2006 and by developing the 'Limited Edition JACK Pride Slinkey' we thought it was a great memento of an important community program and celebration", said Steve Kennedy, General Manager and Program Director of 92.5 JACK FM.

In case anyone's interested, here is this year's list of establishments serving until 04:00. There's actually 21 of them this year!

*Buddies in Bad Times/Tallulah's Cabaret (12 Alexander St)

*Vice (501 Church St) <-- the former "Bar 501"

*The Black Eagle (457 Church St)

*Byzantium (499 Church St)

*Crews/Tango (508-510 Church St)

*Fly/Fire On The East Side (6 Gloucester St)

*George's Play (504 Church St)

*Lub (487 Church St)

*Pegasus on Church (489 Church St)

*Statlers (471 Church St)

*Woody's/Sailor (465-467 Church St)

*Zelda's (542 Church St)

*Zipperz (72 Carlton St)

*Touch Lounge (499 King St W)

*Remmington's (379 Yonge St)

*Mask (556 Church St)

*Il Fornello (491 Church St)

*Slack's (562 Church St)

*Fiddler's Green (27 Wellesley St E)

*Big Mamma's Boy (55 Parliament St)

*Alibi (529 Yonge St)

Now print and deposit into wallet! :smokin

Kelvin Browne's piece didn't seem too unreasonable to me. He's allowed to feel how he feels, and probably represents a lot of people who would cringe wearing a rainbow.
--
As cheeseball as these "official media etc" announcements can be, i think the soccer-momness of CTV means....something. could be just will and grace no-actual-kissing tolerance, or maybe some kind of more meaningful canadian acceptance. stephen harper is on the losing side of history once he looses the soccer moms.

I used to wear my pink triangle pin when gay lib was all about expressing our anger at rights denied, going on protest marches, having sit-ins in the middle of Yonge and Bloor with mounted policemen in the background, and lobbying to get the same basic human rights enshrined in law that straights had. All this was from the late 1970's to the early 1980s. And Pride was just a few thousand close friends having a nice afternoon in Grange Park. When it got all hot and sweaty with gazillions of people and their grandparents marching, and politicians patting lesbians on the head or kissing drag queens, and corporate floats, I kinda lost interest ... But we're in a rainbow flag era now, not a pink triangle one, things are less hard edged, the battles have been won, and the meaning of the thing has evolved. And it'll continue to evolve, for many more years too, of course.

Ah, the pink triangle days. I too remember those, though I would have been but a tyke compared to babel's experienced ways, even then. My first pride was in Toronto in 1985, I recall clearly crying from joy in the street in front of the 519 because it was so overwhelming to be in such a supportive, diverse environment. In 1985 it was still easy to mock gay people in print, and to deny us equal rights, and I certainly felt under attack and marginalized.

...going on protest marches, having sit-ins in the middle of Yonge and Bloor with mounted policemen in the background, and lobbying to get the same basic human rights enshrined in law that straights had. All this was from the late 1970's to the early 1980s.

I was a wide-eyed, innocent young teen when I participated in all those events, great memories. They had meaning and purpose back then.

Now I'm old and jaded :rollin

I kind of wonder whether Aaron Spelling'd be to 2006 what Judy Garland was to 1969, i.e. the celeb passing most likely to spark Pride Day hysteria. I can almost see somebody hocking quickie Aaron Spelling RIP paraphernalia on Church this weekend. And of course, where else are you most likely to see guys who look like Tori Spelling and girls who look like Aaron Spelling...

spelling_aaron.jpg
home_headshot.jpg

I guess Olivia Chow's designated Ward 20 NDP successor Helen Kennedy merits consideration on that count.

Thanks to the gang for keeping an eye on my stuff as I pranced up and down Church St. Can't wait to see the photos...

Oh, I stopped and talked to some of my London friends who made it up for Pride during that time; small world.

Ah Pride as I watch two guys going at it in the Market Square courtyard and the Dominion shoppers walk buy. Pretty funny. The Dominion folks seemingly have no idea what's going on nor do the two guys know I'm watching from above. Life in the big city and a gay video in real life in front of me.

^That's why we're kicking ass in Afganistan. Freedom.

Off topic, but I wanted to point out the horrible misuse of quotation marks in this press release:

92.5 JACK FM is proud to be a major "Radio" supporter of the "2006 Pride" celebrations in Toronto.

And from Broadcaster Magazine no less. Shudder.

You are so right Shmoopie.

I should also say that this weekend was quite the "party"! What with all the "kissing" and "hugging" and "drinking" and "dancing" and "other stuff we can never talk about again", it was all a huge "laugh"! Thanks to all who shared (and hosted) my path this weekend!

xoxo

Seems like the quotation marks were meant as a proxy for highlighting/boldface. (But yeah, I know. It looks awful--though given the station in question, "radio" in quotes seems apropos...)

What a great Pride turnout. Nice to meet guys who haven't been to our gay forum gatherings before.

I brought my baritone friend, quite a few guys brought their cameras - the results of which I expect we'll see soon - and gboykovekin brought his banana!

Back