News   May 14, 2024
 115     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 974     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Urbandreamer tours the indie art galleries....

Final show I photographed in 2011 was perhaps the best and most fitting for UT members. At Convenience Gallery 58 Lansdowne Av by artist Ilze Bebris until 4 Jan 2012. Cool.:)

144conveniencegalleryla.jpg

Well May is here again and that means photography. MayT.O.graphy?

27 April 2012 Contact 2012 launch party at Mocca was great for ppl watching, but the exhibit itself was rather predictable and dull. Best to flee and see what else is on offer around Toronto...

043bv.jpg

Speaking of hotties (and not so hot art) O'Born Contempory's opening the same night got us all hot and steamy:

034g.jpg

While I do collect art, I must say I prefer window shopping on Ossington.

032ad.jpg

035zvy.jpg

Robert Flack at Paul Petro on Queen West:
040ye.jpg

Propeller:
045fso.jpg

Katherine Mulherin--would make a great building facade!
046xt.jpg

048wyo.jpg

Out in Parkdale, I skipped this opening--were any of you here?
054xh.jpg

Saturday, 28 April 2012 went for a 15 mile walk. I was not hunting bears. (I don't know whom the "artist" is here, but it's found on the wall of that rundown alley way between Cumberland and Bloor beside the theatre if you're interested in stalking it.:))

102yg.jpg

One of the best Contact shows I've seen is at the UofT art centre. No photos but later outside an engineering building I spy a pretty cool looking vehicle--very sculptural. Perhaps a modern twist on the Conestoga Wagon? Any students know what it's about?

124dv.jpg

As a twitter addict, I found the name of this Dundas Street West (of Bathurst) gallery rather amusing:
133xq.jpg

Loop rehashes Canadiana themes...the cottage life I guess.
142lr.jpg

145dh.jpg

Not certain if the Department is still in biz, a new show or something else is coming 8th May?
147rb.jpg

Let's keep walking west on Dundas. Car culture meets art culture?

148hq.jpg

149ld.jpg

Don't tell anyone but I believe St Helens is now the hottest street to both live on (anyone seen Arragon Properties' upcoming Richard Witt loft/office project) and see art. For example, behind this garage door is found some of the most pretentious art seen in years (a former autobody, there's now a vintage 1968 Mustang in a state of restoration, with weekly operas based on both the car and events from 1968.

167uy.jpg

Well I happen to like working on vintage cars too...so I enjoyed shooting it.:)
155um.jpg

163jo.jpg

164oi.jpg

Did you know Toronto now has a brand new fairly large private gallery tucked behind an alley off Dublin Street? It's owned by a private equity guy and husband of the Type Books founder. The current show is thus fittingly all about type and books. Here's what it looks like from outside.

171ns.jpg

Behold the entrance to another world....
169eh.jpg

What art did you see lately?

(Btw, just counted all the photos I've posted on this thread: Over 800 photos I've taken and posted documenting Toronto's art scene over the past 4 years. I've likely got another 20,000 I never got around to posting....)

Last edited:
13 May 2012: Walking home along Dundas West let's go window shopping.

What the...Pablo?!

266zy.jpg

I like horses (Bau-Xi) :)
268b.jpg

WhipperSnapper:
270cc.jpg

Day and Night at the Department Dundas St West reveals itself--a stack of PBR vs a shelf of hair products. A nod towards the 'hoods dual identies as a white PBR-drinking hipster 'hood by night and a Portuguese hair salon row by day perhaps?

280p.jpg

Let's keep walking along, step by step, day and night, into the future...P/M Gallery.

283gf.jpg

2068 Dundas West (that new RAW-designed storefront)
290mv.jpg

Contact exhibit at Belljar Cafe:
291m.jpg

292gv.jpg

Last edited:

Back