News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 664     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Urbandreamer tours the indie art galleries....

2 August 2008 Ossington/W Queen W/Parkdale art gallery update

On Ossington Avenue, the bears have been let loose: be very, very afraid!:p

Dean Drever's "The Bear Minimum" at MKG127 (127 Ossington Avenue, until 30 August 2008) www.mkg127.com And it's on sale for only $14,000!

DSC00006.jpg

View on Canadian Art explains it for you here: http://viewoncanadianart.com/2008/0...er-blood-sweat-tears-and-ryan-sluggett-et-al/

Yellow was the theme of the day--a perfect link to Caribana?

Around the corner, on Queen West (heading East), Ontario Crafts Council has a few gems. $140 gets you this urn by Judith Green. And the one I actually want, Sam Uhlick's "Pussy Willow" tray, sold for $110.

Propellor Gallery's backroom/North Gallery has some cool digital renderings/photographs:

Inside here I find:

Show Gallery has nothing to show, as always....

I introduce University of Guelph graduate Mike Pszczonak to Urbantoronto after seeing his paintings depicting abandoned American hotel strips reclaimed by nature. See him and James Gardner's latest paintings at Paul Petro, 962 Queen St West. Several of Mike's paintings:

Cheesy colourful things at (forget it.)

Do you like my new friends at Magic Pony?:p

Fountain Gallery's Maggy Perry gives me a tour of her latest show, starring Jubal Brown's camera phone photos (from $600 yikes!) and Drew Simpson's spooky little sculptures about the destruction of the food chain thanks to the destruction of the bee population, African food crisis and similar themes....

Really like a)the "afro soldiers w/guns" b)the ($110 each) spray cans/"ozone trees" and c)my portait of Maggy Perry with her show.:) (Real [dead] insects glued on cat skulls, btw. How creepy.) Behind the Second Cup, 652 Queen St West (on Palmerston.) www.fountaincontemporary.com

Then I get on the streetcar and go back to capture the Queen West of Ossington art scene. Lens Factory, Fly Gallery, Loop, Katherine Mulherin, and in Parkdale, The Public Butter and Gallery DK

Go check out the yellow 'Vette and the yellow Bear, carved from foam, btw!

16 August 2008: AWOL "Square foot" show & Whipper Snapper show openings

When: Saturday night, 8PM

Where: 100a Ossington (second floor), AWOL "SQUARE FOOT" opening

Why: sexy ppl and paintings, everywhere!

Info: http://www.awolgallery.com/square_foot/ until 7 Sept 2008

The people:

The price:

Luckily, I get to bypass the line up (thanks to Rina)... and enter the madness to see this scene:
DSC00952-1.jpg

An overview of some of the 500 paintings:

DSC00943-1.jpg

Hamilton has an identity at last!

DSC00897-1.jpg

Coffee as a theme: America vs Canada!

Woodies as a theme:

The rest of my favourites, in no particular order:

Everyone could "vote" for their favourite piece; as a joke, me and my friends voted for #118, aka the gallery light, not a real painting! lol.

Thanks to Elma for the invite! Next year, I shall be a participant too.:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, after dinner on College Street, I randomly discover WhipperSnapper's latest "Emerging Artists" opening. Details here: http://www.whippersnapper.ca/site/index.php or 587A College St

The highlights:

My favourites:

DSC00997-1.jpg

DSC01003-1.jpg

DSC01018.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks, go to AWOL, as there are some real gems there. I saw quite a few sold stickers beside the paintings, including a few by my artsy friends.

5 sept 2008 photo update

Hey, I've got tons of photos I've been too lazy to post these past few months....:(

Shall I post the rest? Tell me.

I had to smile when I recognized Mr Mugs on Queen West (indeed, the owner confirmed that's his name! Cool, for those of us kids in the late 70's to early 80's that learned to read with Mr Mugs!) Adorable, eh? (Photo of the day material....:))

DSC01048.jpg

11 September 2008 photo update

I was walking around the lower Ossington area today, so checked out Ester Pugliese's show (opening this Friday night @7PM) at AWOL Gallery.

First, some "art" I never noticed before on the side of Queen West Self Storage (on Rebecca St):

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

AWOL's Ester Pugliese (check her out, she's rather cute.:)) Inspired by sounds apparently. Rather dark and dreary, I think....
DSC00079.jpg

DSC00080-1.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

There always seems to be a "blue" painting in this gallery window. Strange.
DSC00088-1.jpg

24 September 2008 look at K-market and Dundas West art exhibits

Let's start in Kensington Market's Hotshots gallery/coffee shop.

DSC01020.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

DSC01092.jpg

DSC01093.jpg

Across the street but too lazy to go inside ... sorry next time.:)
DSC01097.jpg

A new gallery I think, just down the street: thirsty yet?
DSC01096.jpg

Across from the AGO on Dundas West:
DSC01160.jpg

DSC01161.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

Until Nuit Blanche, cya!

It just struck me today that the Junction reminds me of the early 90's Annex strip. Of course, without the students. But, many young people (yuppies, I'll call them) and youngish couples hang out on the strips' organic eateries etc on the weekends. There's a mix of hippies, artists, yuppies, intellectuals, and a relatively diverse group of shoppers.

Anyhow, I randomly came across Alan Joson's "Conserve/Condemn" photography exibit at Urbanscape Gallery. Turns out he's a 30 year old photographer, uses a Nikon F100, and since he was friendly, here's a plug: www.alanjoson.com On 'til 22 Oct 2008 at the gallery.)

The grand entrance: (designed by a friend of mine.:))

DSC00234.jpg

A few photos I liked:
DSC00228.jpg

A few I didn't like:
DSC00227.jpg

The yummy Greek food served: (All photos by Alan Joson taken on Greek islands, communities etc.)
DSC00233.jpg

A photo of the photographer (far left) and his fans (family?) with the gallery director:
DSC00232.jpg

His info:
DSC00231.jpg

cy@nuit blanche, everywhere!

Katherine Mulherin board of directors: must see show!

Check it out, Queen West near Dovercourt Rd this weekend! (I missed the opening.:(

dsc01493.jpg

Hilarious goo(gle) workstation!

dsc01476.jpg

dsc01484.jpg

At Nyood (bar and restaurant) I see something funny--fried eggs on a turntable! Turns out they're doing a photo shoot for their new brunch promo flyer! (I suggest they use a green record...green eggs and ham....:))

dsc01509.jpg

"Good bye to Romance" @ Mercer Union: I'm in love :)

I finally went in Mercer Union's new space at Bloor and Lansdowne this afternoon, and came away rather impressed! My favourite piece is located in the "artist's cabin" near the washrooms:

dsc02138t.jpg

"Bling Bling" with mushrooms, how trippy!:D

dsc02129chi.jpg

http://www.mercerunion.org/show.asp

It's been a long time since I've posted photos here, but have no fear, urbandreamer still loves going to the galleries! Like today, I stopped by the new P/M gallery--recently relocated to Dundas St West near Brock, with a highly recommended show by Toronto's Meghan McKnight, Jessica Bradley Gallery, Loop, and more!

It looks as if another new gallery is set to open on Dundas west of Ossington:

dsc01454t.jpg

Loop's next show is set to open soon, and looks tempting with a large PLAY DOH RABBIT chilling on a table...:)

dsc01457w.jpg

Show and Tell is definitely contributing towards the "selling out" of the Dundas strip....:p

dsc01460n.jpg

I missed going inside Parkdale's newest gallery today, Snowball Gallery, but here's a photo I took of the latest show from across the street:

dsc01558j.jpg

Last edited:
^Thanks for showing some interest. I've got tons of photos hopefully I'll post them!

Last night in the Junction was very chilly, but it was the launch of Contact's Junction shows. There's many temporary galleries in bars, restaurants, random shops etc including some dedicated art spaces. I was at a party in the area so missed most of the opening parties, but whatever.... Anyhow, the folks at Mjolk had a hot party here's what I saw:

dsc03663.jpg

Stay tuned for more Contact and OCAD student shows I'll post soon--tomorrow?

^Hmm....lazy.

Sunday, 16 May 2010 was a Toronto classic--gorgeous weather, gorgeous women, and gorgeous art...everywhere!

Ossington:

Yellow on Yellow: very Spring!

dsc03865p.jpg

dsc03864y.jpg

A "pop up" gallery, meaning it's here for the month of May only, apparently. Pity, because it's sort of interesting. Think photos of the AGO renovation, photos of construction sites around town, etc. Oh, and some condo furniture.

dsc03862.jpg

Dundas West:

dsc03851i.jpg

The Department:
dsc03416g.jpg

Loop:
dsc03414i.jpg

Le:

dsc03413tj.jpg

dsc03417wb.jpg

West Queen West:

dsc03871f.jpg

The kids these days...? Yeah, some good high school art here:

dsc03872k.jpg

For example, transfer city?

dsc03892m.jpg

Oh so witty:

dsc03896.jpg

More yellow "flowers" at Katherine Mulherin.

dsc03926w.jpg

Paul Petro:

dsc03411ho.jpg

Nice cleavage at Mocca :p --yikes the place was packed today! I was surprised, it felt like a 905 club--a very diverse crowd today, good to see.

dsc03887.jpg

Some oddball guy with a bike and a giant pinhole camera outside the Mocca gates had us gallery goers poking our heads into the camera to look at...not much.

dsc03889p.jpg

I posted this in the BoHo Embassy thread, but here's a cheeky show at Fly Gallery's window space. (Many believe the gallery is inside the storefront.) Made me laugh.

dsc03933a.jpg

A few weeks ago near Dundas and Runnymede, I spotted some cool retro Can-con references etc:

dsc03267fm.jpg

Get yo asses to the galleries to see Contact 2010 and moore!

Last edited:

Back