News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 734     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

The food was dreadful, too. They got nothing right. I never did figure out where they came from either. Not our galaxy I hope - that would be a disgrace.

Maybe they were captivated by Square One and wanted help with shopping?

What do aliens dress in? It's never been too clear.

i42: Meet at 7-ish on Saturday by the Henry Moore in the opera house?

My friend Ron may be there too, if he can get a rush seat. He'll move heaven and earth to see a few naked men singing, will that boy.

TonyV's seeing Tosca tonight.

The reviews haven't been too good, so far.

Eh! Tony! Let us know!

I enjoyed it! I thought that the production was gorgeous. It is true that Eszter Sümegi did not come up to full throttle until about halfway through. I wanted more out of her voice, but when she finally presented it, wow. The Star was unkind to her acting, and I think that was unjustified. That's usually an easy critic, too; I was surprised to read him trashing something.

Of the two male leads, the bad guy, Scarpia, was excellent (Alan Opie) while Cavaradosi (Mikhail Agafanov) was good through most of it, but blew the prison scene. Actually, his singing was unsteady in that. Again the Star critic was pretty harsh; Scarpia was actually good.

I think the conductor (Buckley) has vicegrips on the score of this thing; something to behold.

Best of all was a gi-normous chorus and orchestra passage that ends the first act, a feast of sound that I won't forget for a while.

I love Puccini.

... and I love uberhunky hottie cellist Gautier Capucon - who, with almost equally comely older brother and violinist Renaud, made beautiful music ( the Brahms Double Concerto ) last night at Roy Thomson Hall.

And, when we thought it couldn't get any better, Dutoit gave us a fantastique Symphonie fantastique in the second half.

Catch them if you can, boys and girls - tonight and Saturday.

The Globe review refers to Gautier Capucon's "magnificent Goffriler instrument" - and the two middle-aged matrons sitting beside me on Wednesday night were practically hyperventilating at the sight of the damned thing.

I thought From the House of the Dead was very effectively staged, and strongly sung as an ensemble piece. The orchestra was, as always, superb. The central section, with mime, was a delight.

It did seem slightly schizophrenic however - a more traditional storyline about a ( presumably ) wrongfully-imprisoned man who teaches a poor boy prisoner to read and write and is set free at the end, running parallel with a series of candid vignettes told by prisoners, some of whom were real bad. The fact that such bad-uns were simply allowed to tell their stories, without being punished as they probably would have been in Romantic-era opera, is still a bit of a shocker.

The little birdie was cute. I was kinda hoping for some errant swoopin' and poopin' at the end, but our feathered friend was frightfully well behaved.

Jan 17: TSO / Oundjian all Mozart
Jan 29: COC - Tosca
Feb 2 : TSO / Dutoit & Capucon brothers
Feb 5 : COC - Janacek - House of the Dead
Feb 7 : TSO / J-P Saraste, Mahler 9th (and I do miss Jukka-Pekka, never did think I would)

Here's a brief recap.

Jan 17th - I would rather not talk about that one.

Jan 29th - TOSCA, well, I already talked about it.

Feb 2nd became Jan 31st -- due to family concerns a ticket exchange was necessary. Thursday's performance was one great concert but I didn't get the view of the bros that I would have had with the original Saturday ticket, dammit, but I did ogle them during intermission while they autographed for fans and hugged cute women. Excellent Berlioz, too, by the way. Seemed to me as the concert wrapped up that Dutoit and the TSO showed mutual enjoyment of each other.

Feb 5 - I will see the Janacek thing, and most assuredly I am looking forward to the Feb 7th TSO performance of Mahler 9th! Ah, yes, Mahler.

I enjoyed it! I thought that the production was gorgeous. It is true that Eszter Sümegi did not come up to full throttle until about halfway through. I wanted more out of her voice, but when she finally presented it, wow. The Star was unkind to her acting, and I think that was unjustified. That's usually an easy critic, too; I was surprised to read him trashing something.

Of the two male leads, the bad guy, Scarpia, was excellent (Alan Opie) while Cavaradosi (Mikhail Agafanov) was good through most of it, but blew the prison scene. Actually, his singing was unsteady in that. Again the Star critic was pretty harsh; Scarpia was actually good.

I think the conductor (Buckley) has vicegrips on the score of this thing; something to behold.

Best of all was a gi-normous chorus and orchestra passage that ends the first act, a feast of sound that I won't forget for a while.

I love Puccini.

Saw it yesterday. My experience of it was essentially the same, other than Agafanov delivered beautifully throughout, and received the lion's share of Bravos at the end. Opie (the evil Scarpia) answered some good-natured booing very smartly on stage during the applause, calling in his henchmen to deal with the audience, so he gets bonus points.

Overall, far more memorable than the 2003 production.

Fairly good press for House of the Dead, especially in today's Post. Another reviewer wants to go back and see it again, suspecting he didn't get it the first time.

A write-up about my man Yannick in today's Globe, in advance of his upcoming Toronto appearances. Now that he's a real big shot internationally I suppose I won't get to see him conduct quite as often hereabouts. Sigh.

Hi US. Off to hear the TSO's Mahler tonight. I am so looking forward to that.

Having said that, I ought to say that I am in a state of bereavement, (a truly nasty loss) and I have a light case of that cold that is going around, but I dont hack and wheeze like some other concert attendees. Suggesting that this is not the ideal day to meet, me with sadness and all. It's your option. I plan to arrive early and browse the record shop in the Mahler section.

I am unable to post during the day.

My condolences.

Yes, let's meet another time. My fuscia hair and rhinestone-encrusted spectacles can only go so far in making the world a more bearable place.

p.s. I'm probably only going to five TSO concerts in 08/09, and will let you know the dates once I've booked.

- Shocker

Thanks, US --

Yes, the glasses may scare me; ne'ertheless I shall still be browsing Mahlers before the concert.

I am really in the mood for an evening downtown. Leaving now.

Back