News   Jul 29, 2024
 652     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 342     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 628     0 

Urban Shocker's Neighbourhood Watch

I love Colin Ainsworth's voice. And the costumes are always gorgeous. I probably should've gone. Next time for sure...

Shockingly, they have a new costume designer. Much less frou frou this time. The dancing boys were charming in their puffy, sheer, pastel tops though.

I took the whole of April off, music-wise, except for a live Met broadcast at the Scotiabank. Needed to go without live entertainment for a while to cleanse my palate ...

I passed on Newzapalooza last Friday. The Toronto Sun band won. Sheila Copps was a judge. Over $7,000 was raised for the Children's Aid Foundation. Went to the Gardiner and had a look at their Central American ceramics instead.

You wouldn't listen to your friend Christopher Hume playing electric guitar for a few minutes if it meant saving a small child from a lifetime of abuse and neglect?

Is that what that ad section that went straight to the blue box was this morning? I guess it couldn't have been cars, I think that's Thursday.

I just got an email reminder from the COC to be there on time - or else! - for Elektra on Thursday.

I'm usually there in good time, to have a little drinkie and order one for intermission.

It'll be warmer this week. Maybe get the tux out of mothballs.

Last night Peter Oundjian conducted the TSO in Holst's The Planets. I have never heard the orchestra sound that good before with him on the podium. Most years I book my season around him, so it was a pleasant surprise. The evening was dedicated to Rostropovich; I wonder who they'll get to replace him at the concert he was to give next season? The cute cellist who did the Schumann was very good and Oundjian kept the orchestra well modulated and in the background while he played - something Bradshaw might learn to do on occasion.

The wraparound design of RTH's public space makes for a bit of exercise, up and down the different levels, before the show and at intermission. But I think the City Room is better for people watching.

The bar seems better at RTH though. Last night I had a lovely full-bodied Shiraz from the land of down under.

"Nathan Gunn Pulls Out of Billy Budd in Pittsburgh"

That's just brilliant.

Judging by all the coughing, there were more people dying of consumption in Ring 4 last night than on stage.

And how un-edgy the early-1990's whips, chains and bondage staging seemed ... like a quaint period piece.

I thought Violetta was a bit screechy, and there wasn't much going on between her and Alfie.

The fancy lounge was hoppin' though.

Back