News   Jul 12, 2024
 830     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 747     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 317     0 

Unique Houses in Toronto

150 Cassandra Blvd (1964)

This is a rare, Japanese inspired house. The owner, Roy Abraham (92, retired engineer), built this house in 1964, using bricks from the old Plains Road School (attended by John Diefenbaker - demolished in 1964). I recently wrote the owner a letter re a heritage nomination for his house -- which he supports -- hopefully heritage services will agree that it should be preserved. The house reminds me of Civic Garden Centre Pavilvion (Moriyama and Teshima Architects - also built in 1964) at Edwards Gardens. http://www.tobuilt.ca/php/tobuildings_more.php?search_fd3=6574 Originally this house had a flat roof, but due to leaking, a second level was added about 25 years ago.

Here are some of the photos I took of it, last Tuesday (pardon my sloppiness; I didn't have much daylight to work with):

2w2kjkp.jpg

2wdnc0h.jpg

During the warmer months, there are massive goldfish in this pond
5zppbd.jpg

imjihz.jpg

vzgfp2.jpg

2chmf6f.jpg

10zolde.jpg

2vs5l3d.jpg

hry2v7.jpg

snnrs1.jpg

2mpg3mp.jpg

21lss4x.jpg

2u6fotu.jpg

dgtb29.jpg

2pq19ic.jpg

dxy328.jpg

2up4x1z.jpg

30lklso.jpg

5165qv.jpg

1htutj.jpg

34zgc8x.jpg

dw8ghk.jpg

Here's an interesting news article re a break in to the same home, last summer: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/07/30/north_york_burglar_who_stole_nothing_thanked_with_a_sign.html

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, ONK. The house is a triumph. It stands so boldly with its sharp, angular facade on one side, and in harmony with nature on the other side. The way the pool is like a seamless extension of the architecture is brilliant. Modern houses are usually boxes. It's really refreshing to see someone break away from the box and do the architecture so well nonetheless.

Quote - "One of the least successful modern houses that I've come across, downright bizarre, is this one in Governor's Bridge. What the heck?"

Does anyone know what street this house is located on? I'm trying to look for it in google street view.

Thanks!

Back