News   Aug 12, 2024
 156     1 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 866     0 

Ultra Ovation (MCC, Tridel/Dorsay, 32s)

It's because Tridel doesn't care about humanizing the street.
Also the building was approved before recommendations for making the City Centre more like a downtown.

I think we need to realise street level retail doesn't need to be in the podium of every single condo ... realistically this is not feasible fro Ultra Ovation seeing it has frontage only on Burhamthorpe Road (which is an arterial road with 6 lanes + turning lanes) and there is no on street parking ... ground retail would have made sense if this site fronted on Webb Drive or Duke of York Blvd when short term on street parking made sense (just like Solstice)

I think we need to realise street level retail doesn't need to be in the podium of every single condo ... realistically this is not feasible fro Ultra Ovation seeing it has frontage only on Burhamthorpe Road (which is an arterial road with 6 lanes + turning lanes) and there is no on street parking ... ground retail would have made sense if this site fronted on Webb Drive or Duke of York Blvd when short term on street parking made sense (just like Solstice)

So there's no incentive to animating streets of this size? I think lots could have been done to help mitigate the effect of a 6-lane road despite its porky size and high rate of movement (and yet some people think this kind of arterial is the solution to the Gardiner's problems).

There are plans to reduce the width of the street to 4 lanes with LRT in this section. There will be on street parking also with bike lanes on the passenger side and will come back to the driver side at intersections.

You do not need retail in the base of all building as it delute the amount of business a street or area can support in the first place. Well space and going from side to side will help to support these business. At the same time, it can be commerical.

All these building are to far back from the street edge and leaves a lot of wasted space. You could put another building in front of these on one side of the street that are only 3-6 story tall to deal with this waste of space.

All the bases need to be 100% the length of the block with the odd green space.

Looking at the setbacks of all the buildings along this stretch, I have always assumed there to be a large right-of-way along the south side...possibly for future LRT?

There are plans to reduce the width of the street to 4 lanes with LRT in this section. There will be on street parking also with bike lanes on the passenger side and will come back to the driver side at intersections.

You do not need retail in the base of all building as it delute the amount of business a street or area can support in the first place. Well space and going from side to side will help to support these business. At the same time, it can be commerical.

All these building are to far back from the street edge and leaves a lot of wasted space. You could put another building in front of these on one side of the street that are only 3-6 story tall to deal with this waste of space.

All the bases need to be 100% the length of the block with the odd green space.

There are more ways to animate a street than to fill it with mindless, lifeless retail. The LRT and on-street parking should help though.

The point I was trying to make is that none of the Tridel buildings have retail of any sort.
Ovation 1 & 2, Grand Ovation, and Ultra Ovation.
Where as Citygate 1 & 2, and Solstice do.

Ultra Ovation Construction Photos

Here's the link to the Cool Iris image wall featuring photos taken last week on a walk through. Regional Sales Manager, Winson Chan, managed to get into quite a few of the shots.

Here are four of my favourite shots:

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5973.JPG

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5965.JPG

Last edited:
thx for the photos, tridelwebmaster, looking good...

great 'insider' photos (literally) ... thanks TWM, the kitchens give me a good idea to look forward to @ Solaris :D

Crane is coming down this morning...

The flat decks trailers and crane equipment been sitting in the NE corner of Sq One his week and figure it had to be for this baby since it was ready to come down.

On my shooting list for today anyway.

Back