News   Jul 26, 2024
 190     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 956     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 756     0 

Ultimate Suburban McMansions

Not yer regular Corinthian columns either, but Roman Corinthian Stone Columns ... for the true connoisseur of the truly swave.

Given a choice (and the funds for property taxes) would any of you live in a house like these?

Possibly, though the school district, area/location, and amount of land i'd have around the house would also be a factor.

I guess i'm in a minority here in that I don't exactly feel comfortable telling other people what kinds of homes they may purchase with their own money... that's the crazy Libertarian in me.

:)

What is offensive about homes like this is that the selfish desires of a very few undermine the hard efforts of thousands more. Why should a small minority of people feel that they can freely degrade a world shared by everyone, and use up a massively disproportionate amount of our dwindling resources, simply so they can impress some friends or neighbours who frankly probably don't give a crap anyway?

I really think what's worse is how easily people jump to negative conclusions about people living with more obvious luxuries than themselves. Do you know they're freely degrading our world? Do you know they're using up massively disproportionate amounts of dwindling resources (stucco? beige paint? plywood? Brian Gluckstein's time?) Or do you just assume the negative because it doesn't resemble your life?

The houses are ugly, yes. But to accuse them of anything more than bad taste (especially when you're only standing on the sidewalk) is a bit much.

I really think what's worse is how easily people jump to negative conclusions about people living with more obvious luxuries than themselves. Do you know their freely degrading our world? Do you know they're using up massively disproportionate amounts of dwindling resources (stucco? beige paint? plywood? Brian Gluckstein's time?) Or do you just assume the negative because it doesn't resemble your life?

The houses are ugly, yes. But to accuse them of anything more than bad taste (especially when you're only standing on the sidewalk) is a bit much.

that's a fair point, there is often a 'rush to judgment' when it comes to the aesthetically impaired. but i think that, in many ways, you can generalize from the choices that people make--in how they choose to live, and the lifestyle choices they make. does anyone seriously believe that someone driving a Hummer is likely to be oriented towards issues of the environment? that they are concerned about 'peak oil' or global warming? does it make them bad people? no. ignorant? maybe. socially irresponsible? uhm, i tend toward the affirmative.

as for these design build gargantua, you're right, the actual materials are not on an 'endangered building supplies' list. however its obvious that the bigger the square footage of a home, the bigger its environmental footprint. More fossil fuel is needed to cool and heat them. Additional energy is wasted by the longer heating/cooling ducts and hot-water pipes in a big house.

its easy to judge these people. you're right. personally, i am not opposed to judging them.

Nobody ever is opposed to judging other people - until that judgment comes around to you.

I agree with TKTKTK; there is a big rush to judgement happening here with respect to people. And like detroitbootybass, I would not presume to tell people where and how they ought to live.

that's a fair point, there is often a 'rush to judgment' when it comes to the aesthetically impaired. but i think that, in many ways, you can generalize from the choices that people make--in how they choose to live, and the lifestyle choices they make. does anyone seriously believe that someone driving a Hummer is likely to be oriented towards issues of the environment? that they are concerned about 'peak oil' or global warming? does it make them bad people? no. ignorant? maybe. socially irresponsible? uhm, i tend toward the affirmative.

Maybe they only drive it on weekends, or special occasions, taking public transit the rest of the time. Maybe they refuse to fly, to offset their carbon emissions. Maybe they're tremendously generous donators to ecological causes. Maybe every other facet of their lives is green, except for their love of Hummers. However skeptical we all are, it doesn't matter. Making such broad, negative assumptions about people based on so little is tragic.

as for these design build gargantua, you're right, the actual materials are not on an 'endangered building supplies' list. however its obvious that the bigger the square footage of a home, the bigger its environmental footprint. More fossil fuel is needed to cool and heat them. Additional energy is wasted by the longer heating/cooling ducts and hot-water pipes in a big house.

How much bigger? What's the figure? I'm really curious. How much energy is that top house using right now? How much is your house using?

Maybe they only drive it on weekends, or special occasions, taking public transit the rest of the time. Maybe they refuse to fly, to offset their carbon emissions. Maybe they're tremendously generous donators to ecological causes. Maybe every other facet of their lives is green, except for their love of Hummers. However skeptical we all are, it doesn't matter. Making such broad, negative assumptions about people based on so little is tragic.

How much bigger? What's the figure? I'm really curious. How much energy is that top house using right now? How much is your house using?

whatever.

are you on this board solely to be an ass?

Just how many sq. feet per person is acceptable?
Are those who buy the 3000 sq. ft. penthouses, with a Prosche that gets the same mileage as a Hummer, in the underground, immune from such criticism? Or is the opposition based solely on stereotypes and taste?

Oh, sorry dude. Am I harshing your sweetness and light?

wow, i didn't know you were into sound poetry.

no, the thing is you tend to traffic in these really banal and poorly argued defenses of the "common man" and his even commoner taste.

your second favoured device is to spice up your ruminations with rather reactionary interrogations and aggressive personal attacks on others who contest your woolly thinking:

"How much bigger? What's the figure? I'm really curious. How much energy is that top house using right now? How much is your house using?"

"Do you know they're freely degrading our world? Do you know they're using up massively disproportionate amounts of dwindling resources (stucco? beige paint? plywood? Brian Gluckstein's time?) Or do you just assume the negative because it doesn't resemble your life?"

main-chip.jpg

wow, i didn't know you were into sound poetry.

no, the thing is you tend to traffic in these really banal and poorly argued defenses of the "common man" and his even commoner taste.

your second favoured device is to spice up your ruminations with rather reactionary interrogations and aggressive personal attacks on others who contest your woolly thinking:

"How much bigger? What's the figure? I'm really curious. How much energy is that top house using right now? How much is your house using?"

"Do you know they're freely degrading our world? Do you know they're using up massively disproportionate amounts of dwindling resources (stucco? beige paint? plywood? Brian Gluckstein's time?) Or do you just assume the negative because it doesn't resemble your life?"

main-chip.jpg

No dude, I just really love making graphs! :cool:

I can't give a maximum acceptable square footage number, and I don't believe in such strict regulation anyway. The responsibility is to build communities that can accommodate and encourage the use of quality public transportation, and build buildings that minimize energy consumption with, for instance, geothermal heating and solar panels. More needs to be done.

But to accuse them of anything more than bad taste

There's something worse you can be accused of? (ok...maybe child molester).

"entry-level high end"...I like that one. (although a little too dependent on who's idea of what high-end is).

Using that train of thought, would another direction be to go to Leons for mid-level low end, and "don't pay a cent" ?

Back