News   Jul 26, 2024
 270     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 299     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 327     0 

Ultimate Suburban McMansions

These (Mc)Mansions sound rather familiar and here's why: Toronto, even Montreal c.1880 had many Mansions on the outskirts of their old town--the Annex, Jarvis St, etc. Just as Mansion alley in the Annex--St George--became a highrise zone after the mansions fell out of fashion (first as rooming houses) and into disrepair, so to is Jarvis densifying. These suburban mansions merely are a continuation of an age-old trend.

So in 2060, McMansions will become McRooming Houses for the University of Vaughan, and within 120 years McCondos....

Rant and rave about land use all you want, but Canada has so much open space that these mini-mansions will surely continue to sprout up for centuries to come.

Class uprising. :) You know, one of those things that regularly happens in history.:p

Look, we have a values system difference here. Somehow there will always be folks who aspire to one of these homes. My position is that I hate them with a passion. Of all the stupid indulgences to foist on this planet that also happen to offend the discerning eye and taste, mcmansions are hard to outdo. As far as I am concerned the owners are unconcerned fools. These houses are the equivalent of a finger in my face.

People can do with their money what they please - whether you like it or not. The fact that you wish to tell people how or where to live - even by way of force - suggests that your own morality is worth questioning.

Exactly what are the people who live in these houses denying you that makes you hate them with such a passion? Why do you care so much? Do you know all of these individuals, or have you simply blanked out their humanity and replaced it with your own selfish and subjective illusions of what they represent to you?

And what makes your supposed "discerning eye and taste" a deciding factor in where or how people live? You come off sounding like a pompous snob who feels slighted by the fact that you can't occupy a home that you believe to befit a person of your supposed sophisticated tastes. You come off sounding jealous because your desires for what others have can't be satisfied. What's more, you hide behind a callow argument that somehow these houses are bad for poor old planet earth. If you're so concerned, quit driving around to see where other people live.

My dream home: a McFactory.

Something like this property:
http://www.torontoindustrial.com/RLPfeature640.html
379-387 Limestone Crescent
Toronto, Ontario
Building Area: 45,450 sq. ft.
Office Area: 4,540 sq. ft.
Warehouse Area: 40,905 sq. ft.
Ceiling: 16' clear height
Zoning: M2 Industrial
Shipping: 9 Truck Level doors
Electrical: 600 amps @ 600 volts
Asking Price: $3,295,000.00 ($72.00/sq. ft.)
Taxes: $102,718.88 (2005)

Bonus, it's near a TTC subway station!
close to hwys 407 and 401, Allen Rd, and
Downsview subway station

With the Canadian dollar up, industrial jobs declining, I predict the industrial/commercial real estate sector in the GTA is vastly overbuilt. So, where else can you buy a 45,000 sq ft "home" for $3.3 million?

People can do with their money what they please - whether you like it or not. The fact that you wish to tell people how or where to live - even by way of force - suggests that your own morality is worth questioning.

Exactly what are the people who live in these houses denying you that makes you hate them with such a passion? Why do you care so much? Do you know all of these individuals, or have you simply blanked out their humanity and replaced it with your own selfish and subjective illusions of what they represent to you?

And what makes your supposed "discerning eye and taste" a deciding factor in where or how people live? You come off sounding like a pompous snob who feels slighted by the fact that you can't occupy a home that you believe to befit a person of your supposed sophisticated tastes. You come off sounding jealous because your desires for what others have can't be satisfied. What's more, you hide behind a callow argument that somehow these houses are bad for poor old planet earth. If you're so concerned, quit driving around to see where other people live.

"Somehow these houses are bad for poor old planet earth". Somehow? Yes, somehow, but I can't put my finger on it. Your retort has not resolved our different views; only your bile is rising.

I realize now how you have come to have 3500 posts. You always have the last word. I've checked.

I'm waiting.:)

Somehow? Yes, somehow, but I can't put my finger on it.

Of course you can't.

I realize now how you have come to have 3500 posts. You always have the last word. I've checked.

Is it jealousy or envy that possesses you to raise this?

[QUOTE Is it jealousy or envy that possesses you to raise this?[/QUOTE]

You posted at 3am. So, I am possessed, as you put it, by pity. For you.

Standing by again.

this is not a new trend folks.

The elite had HUGE villas outside ancient cities of Rome...

The problem is though they farmed and raised cattle as well and such so they sort of befitted society, that way...

this is not a new trend folks.

The elite had HUGE villas outside ancient cities of Rome...

The problem is though they farmed and raised cattle as well and such so they sort of befitted society, that way...

lordmandeep - let me get this straight. You are saying then ipso facto that if you have a mcmansion, it's alright to keep chicken coops. Is that right? :D:D

lordmandeep - let me get this straight. You are saying then ipso facto that if you have a mcmansion, it's alright to keep chicken coops. Is that right?

Well, you see back in the days the richest people had huge villas outside of cities. The man of the house use to go the city a few times per month for his business. These villas though were actually like farms as well. They are quite different from todays McMansions.

Oakville has no shortage of McMansions but they do have some monster sized homes like this 48,000 sq foot mansion
mansionme2.jpg

^^^ Home Sweet low-rise office complex. They need to get that roof, and those chimneys, under control!

Back