News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 373     0 

U of T: Rotman Expansion/Ctr for Jurisdictional Advantage and Prosperity (KPMB)

717px-97_St._George_Street.JPG

97 St. George is surrounded by fences now, and they took down the trees around it.

I like KPMB and I think they are quite good at their choices in materials, and detail executions, but really, their projects are getting repetitive. One box on top of another, beside another, sitting adjacent to another, or perpendicular to one another, or stacked and flipped - no matter how much you fluff up the story of the building you are building, it is just a f-ing box already. Not that the brief did not call for such in this case, but a little variety wouldn't kill anyone would it? Maybe a curvilinear approach to the box?

p5

Agreed, their projects are getting repetitive. This one is okay, but it seems a little overbearing in some cases. From other angles it looks pretty good.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love Graduate House.

"I don't know about anyone else, but I love Graduate House."

I have never met anyone who lived there who would agree!

This structure looks decent, sort of more of the same for U of T. I'm fine with this. I don't think something architecturally flamboyant would be suitable for this location. Besides, while our discussions overwhelmingly revolve around the aesthetics of buildings this is afterall Urban Toronto, and the institution and it's work should be of far more interest to us than the building it is housed in.

Except that I couldn't care less about economics/management/business or the training of future economists, 'managers,' and businesspeople. I love architecture and that's why I keep on comin' back ere.'

I like the renders and video (and music). The sunken courtyard is a nice touch, but I wonder how much it will be used. Also, it appears from the render that there will be an underground passageway underneath St. George alongside this new sunken courtyard. I wish they brought the outer edge of the sunken courtyard all the way out to the sidewalk so that pedestrians could easily look down into it. Stairs down to it and a waterfall feature there would be nice imo.

The massing does look overbearing from some angles, but fits right in across the street from Robarts.

Some of those interior renders (Martin Prosperity Institute) look more like a lounge where you get a cocktail and meet high price call girls than grind out research.

With all that glass, offices will get very warm in the afternoon, and it will be hard to view computer monitors without good blinds.

OK. Fair enough ProjectEnd. I personally however enjoy the full spectrum of the architecture and development arenas. In an Urban forum it is a little bit funny to reduce a thread about this centre, dedicated to the very subject of urban issues, to comments about the aesthetic details of it's design. It is also interesting how people greatly over emphasize the roll the designers hired play in the outcome and vision of the project.

How the finished design of something meets the functional requirements of those who use it defines its success, so design - as a problem-solving process - is central to a happy outcome, not a peripheral issue or an added frill to be admired from the sidewalk.

Equally, one hopes that "caring about the economics / management / business or the training of future economists, 'managers,' and businesspeople" was central to the thinking that went into the design of this building.

As for aesthetics, when that magic ingredient is there we're all the better for it. I don't think design and function should be seen as competing values.

I snapped some pics from the walkway behind the Rotman Centre. All were taken on 21 April 2010.

4547214990_f28b55d754.jpg

4547202674_6a7c80f7b5.jpg

4547211870_120419f2da.jpg

Back