News   Jul 30, 2024
 839     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 494     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 610     1 

U of T: Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building (Foster and Partners)

From the Star:

Rx for excellence U of T pharmacy students boldly go to class in dramatic new quarters
$75 million structure by British architect Norman Foster
Sleek structure has Star Trek feel, Louise Brown reports
Sep. 14, 2006. 01:00 AM
LOUISE BROWN
EDUCATION REPORTER

Suddenly this fall, pharmacy student Jason Lam feels like he's on Star Trek.

To enter his weekly fall seminar about the drug industry, the fourth-year student must cross a catwalk into a sleek silver classroom that hangs like a spaceship in mid-air over the student lounge.

It's one of two egg-shaped lecture "pods" suspended in the glassy five-storey atrium in the University of Toronto's dramatic new pharmacy digs at the corner of College St. and University Ave. As undergraduates arrived this week for their first classes in the new $75 million building, the airy design by British architect Norman Foster won top marks from many.

"Star Trek — that's what it feels like," said Lam as he stood on the bridgeway into the 60-seat lecture hall, which has a student reading room perched on top of its roof.

"Our old pharmacy building was so small, we hardly spent any time there," he said. "It's nice to have classes and meeting space all in the same building."

Based for years in an old building they had long since outgrown — the largest classroom held 30 but new undergraduate classes now boast 240 — students at Canada's largest pharmacy school were academic nomads, hiking across campus to far-flung lecture halls that could accommodate them, which they say made it tough to feel a sense of community.

"We were known as the backpack students, moving in herds but never knowing students in other years," said third-year student Andrea Narducci, president of the Undergraduate Pharmacy Society.

"Now it's great having everything here in one building — the practice labs, classrooms, library," said Narducci, "and especially everyone together in the student lounge."

But the vaulting design is more than just eye candy, says billionaire patron Leslie Dan, a pharmacy grad whose $13 million donation toward the structure is honoured in its name, the Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building. The Ontario government and U of T also contributed.

"The learning environment is important; you want to feel awed and inspired and this building gives you that," says Dan, the rags-to-riches industrialist who landed in Canada in 1947 as a Hungarian refugee who spoke little English and worked as a lumberjack and tobacco picker before enrolling in the school of pharmacy.

He went on to found Novopharm, one of Canada's largest generic drug makers, and has become a philanthropist whose gift to his old school has allowed it to double enrolment over five years to meet the growing demand for pharmacy services from, among others, aging baby boomers.

But while the building carries the name of one generic drug giant, and another has its contribution recognized through the Apotex Meeting Room, there are also tributes to name-brand sponsors, from the David Bloom/Shoppers Drug Mart Student Lounge to the Rexall/Pharma Plus Lecture Hall.

"I actually think it's great that all these companies came together to make a building for students; that shows a huge sense of community rallying around us," said fourth-year student Jennifer Chen, and classmate Jessica Auyeung agreed.

"I don't think seeing the names of corporate sponsors throughout the new building will influence the way we practise when we're pharmacists," said Auyeung, 26. "We'll make choices based on what we learn, what's good for the patient."

Even pharmacy dean Wayne Hindmarsh is dazzled by the new digs. He went down after dark one recent night just to watch the special lights illuminate the "pods" in different colours every 15 minutes.

A handful of students this week scoffed at the opulent quarters, asking why their tuition jumped 8 per cent this year to about $11,000 when the school has money for fancy lights and hanging classrooms and big-name international architects.

"They even shipped the glass windows from Belgium — couldn't they have kept it Canadian?" asked one second-year student.

The extra-large panes of glass from Belgium are said to have been needed to support the open structures so favoured by Foster, an architect who is also a pilot and whose flights of architectural fancy often reflect his passion for flying. Still, most students this week welcomed the new building, with its "bookless library" — a computer lab where research is all online — and wireless classrooms and lecture halls big enough for all; where the undergraduate program is spread over the first five floors and the upper seven storeys house research and graduate work, including a new doctor of pharmacy program that draws about 30 students each year.

And there is a logistical advantage to having everything under one roof that has not escaped student council president Andrea Narducci.

"When we have our fundraising week in November, we can now have our Prof Auction and Pie Throw right here in the building."

AoD

"The learning environment is important; you want to feel awed and inspired and this building gives you that," says Dan, the rags-to-riches industrialist who landed in Canada in 1947 as a Hungarian refugee who spoke little English and worked as a lumberjack and tobacco picker before enrolling in the school of pharmacy.

He went on to found Novopharm, one of Canada's largest generic drug makers, and has become a philanthropist whose gift to his old school has allowed it to double enrolment over five years to meet the growing demand for pharmacy services from, among others, aging baby boomers."

I just love this profile!!!

Looking at the pics the whole building strikes me as very TARDIS-like. The building doesn't look all that impressive or even big from the outside. But, in these pictures, it is surprisingly spacious. But even in the pics inside the building, the pods don't look very big. But inside the pods, again I'm surprised how big they look. The TARDIS effect times two! Awesome. I wish I still went to U of T. I would check out this building for sure.

I actually think the pods look bigger outside than inside. The classroom inside the pod that I saw during the open house looks rather claustrophobic.

From Architectural Record:

The Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Claude R. Engle, Lighting Consultant
For the Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building, Claude Engle bathes floating pills in an array of trippy colors

By Tim McKeough

At the Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building at the University of Toronto, Foster + Partners has turned contextual design on its head. Situated on a grassy lot at the intersection of College Street and University Avenue, the academic tower is located adjacent to the school’s historic Tanz Building. “We looked at the program and decided that instead of aligning the top of our building with the Tanz Building, it would be more interesting to play an inverted game and create a void,†says Nigel Dancey, senior partner at Foster + Partners. As a result, much of the building’s bulk is raised on concrete stilts, leaving room below for a transparent glass cube precisely the five-story height of its neighbor. Within the large, open void, the architects decided to suspend two massive classroom pods that they hoped would look as though they were floating on air. Working in collaboration with Chevy Chase, Maryland–based lighting firm Claude Engle, it didn’t take long for all involved to realize they could make the lozenges the building’s signature feature by illuminating them at night with a show of shifting hues.

“We had this idea of theatricality, which explains the colored lights,†Dancey says. “Claude Engle III [the firm’s founder] and his son Claude Engle IV had both been very involved in theater design and knew about using gels and mixing colored lights to create some interesting effects.†The resulting display is managed by a preset computer-controlled-dimming system that changes the colors every 15 minutes throughout the night.

The team, led by Claude IV, originally thought about lighting the pods with concealed luminaires around the perimeter of each bulbous behemoth, but realized it couldn’t work. As the younger Engle explains, that would have required attaching luminaires to Foster’s glassy skin, which “would make the mullion become this fat thing†and muddle the architects’ intentions. Instead, Engle’s firm decided to use 128 actual 375-watt and 300-watt quartz halogen lamps in fixtures commonly used in theatrical lighting, attaching the plug-in lights to black theater pipes with standard C-clamps.

Thanks to the theater technique, “you can move these lights up and down for a totally flexible system,†says local lighting consultant Kenneth Loach. Moreover, “The lights themselves become part of the experience,†Claude III notes, adding that the team selected colors that were more sophisticated than those favored by local dramaturges: “It’s the difference between something that looks like a champagne fountain and something as elegant as an educational building ought to be,†he says.

The lighting designers mixed primaries, outfitting luminaires with Apollo dichroic filters held in place by frames. At dusk, the pods perform a metaphorical sunset, exchanging fiery reds and deep blues. They then proceed to a sequence of blues, yellows, and greens in a deliberately tight palette; colors introduced on the underside of one pod are later introduced in its mate. The theater lights are outfitted with borosilicate glass lenses with four beam spreads ranging from very narrow to wide flood, and are supplemented by 1,000-watt quartz theatrical flood fixtures.

The building takes an equally inventive approach to daylight. An atrium slices vertically through the core of the 12-story structure, pulling sunlight deep inside. To balance concerns about solar heat gain with the desire for natural light, Foster’s team covered the glazing on the south elevation of the glass cube with a large-dot frit pattern. The density of the frit pattern gradually decreases along the eastern elevation before opening up to mostly clear glass on the northern facade, where offices look out over Queen’s Park, the home of Ontario’s legislature.

In the offices and hallways lining the perimeter of the upper volume, “The fairly high window system allowed us to put in wall-wash lighting that is concealed and less expensive,†Claude senior says. Off-the-shelf fluorescent T8 luminaires were inserted in architectural coves, which delineate the building edge at night. “You can see how the floor plates start and stop,†his son adds. To reinforce the geometry of the interior architecture, the lighting consultants also integrated LEDs into the handrails of bridges and hallways that connect the labs, offices, and pods.

“This is an example of a very economic solution that’s quite spectacular,†says Claude III. “The building helps the lighting, and the lighting helps the building,†a success he attributes to collaborating with the architects on myriad projects. €œWe’ve done so many things together that we almost know how to finish each other’s sentences.â€

AoD

Too bad it can't be night time all the time at the pharmacy building...the pods are cool when lit up but the exterior is hideous.

I actually really like the look of the exterior. It's imposing, modern, and cool all at once.

I have to say that I agree with Canuck, I like the exterior. I can see why some people might find it unappealing, but I like the whole Borg Cube on stilts look to the building.

I wish the stilts were clad in something shiny. That detail would go a long way in polishing the look of the place.

I'd seen it at a distance several times but got my first look at it up close the other day. I took a stroll around the lobby as well. The floating chambers are interesting and eyecatching at night. I also like the walkways and full atrium.

I have to say for a Foster building I was very disappointed with the exterior. You really can't make a building any more of a box shape than this. Not that I have any particular aversion to boxed shaped buildings persay but it's such a predictable form for Toronto. Another reason I'm dispointed is that it is situated on a prime location for viewing near the head of Toronto's only 'grand' avenue. When I first heard about Foster being chosen to design for this site I was excited about the possibility of something a little more eycatching. Not necessarily London's City Hall but certainly something more thoughtful and charismatic.

The real disaster that needs to be addressed with this building is the laser-printed address taped to the window above the loading dock. Amazing how it takes down the entire building.

"I wish the stilts were clad in something shiny."

As always - but at least it's consistent with all the rest of the grim, craptastic unfinished concrete pillars 'round town, which now come close to collectively defining our locally ubiquitous and seemingly resolute bare-pimply-ass'd novelty look.

Haunting, quavering disembodied voice of AreBe from beyond the cyber-grave:

"The cheeeeeeap oooooout!... The cheeeeeeap oooooout!... The cheeeeeeap oooooout!..."

Thanks for the laugh Pep'rJack!

There is the odd clad pillar in this burg though: I think WaterClub (that's the name of the Kolter Queens Quay project right?) is appropriated decked out. More of that please!

Back