News   Sep 05, 2024
 691     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 668     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 619     0 

U of T: Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building (Foster and Partners)

Yeah, I don't get this whole exposed concrete columns thing that has infected contemporary architecture. It's so hideous but seems to be so acceptable.

My opinion may be in the minority, but I generally like this building. I like how it's aligned with regard to the Tanz Building, as mentioned in the article above. The glass seems to echo the Hydro Building across the street, at least during daylight hours. In addition, I think this building is in a location, immediately adjacent to the Ontario Legislature, where a lower-key building is appropriate. You don't want something overshadowing the Legislature building or appearing to be in competition with it for attention. I find the building to be respectful of its surroundings, fitting in quite nicely. I also like the colors at night; unfortunately I don't find myself in that neighbourhood very often after dark.

I don't like the concrete columns. I don't know if the lack of cladding was a design decision by the architects (if so, a poorly advised one), or if it was a cost-cutting measure.

Overall, this building is one of the better ones recently constructed in the city IMO.

This is a great building. You have to remember... this is part of a university campus, it isn't exactly a $500 million 5-star hotel. Look at it in it's context.

The inside teaching and lab facilities are far nicer than almost every other building at UofT aside from the biotechnology building next door.

"I think this building is in a location, immediately adjacent to the Ontario Legislature, where a lower-key building is appropriate."

Aside from the Legislature, what would a huge ugly box on stilts with polka dot windows be lower key than?

Well, as I've said in the past, it's like a Ben-Day version of Kinoshita's 80s ROM aesthetic...

I love this building... it seems to go very well with the biotech building next door (esp. at night) and the mars building kitty-corner. however, while the bio bulding sparkles, this one has a conservative elegance. it's not trying to stand out, it's just what it is.

The real disaster that needs to be addressed with this building is the laser-printed address taped to the window above the loading dock. Amazing how it takes down the entire building.

That's STILL there??? I remember seeing that the last time I was downtown, and I'm ashamed to say, that was quite a number of months ago.

Interesting detail today - Feb 5, 2008

fosterpanel2.jpg

fosterpanel1.jpg

It would appear that a part of it fell off, somewhat recalling a King and Bay on a windy day scenario that occurred a couple of times in recent memory. Could the panel be lying in the snow, or did someone from the university notice and take it inside? Perhaps a passerby took it. It's unfortunate, because I actually like the building.

Back