News   Jul 30, 2024
 353     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

U of T: Leslie L. Dan Pharmacy Building (Foster and Partners)

Thanks for the pictures everyone!

Those "pods" might take a little getting used to. I immediately thought of the dirigible Hindenburg, floating overhead. A bad analogy I know; it burned with loss of life.

The building looks good.

I see that you've went over to the Foster exhibit at AL&D and poured over the plans for the building!

Actually no... one of the visitors saw it taped to a wall in the basement. Must have been left there by the construction crew.

I also thought the interior was more impressive than the exterior... especially that stunning view from the 12th floor corner office... wow. Like many new buildings, bare concrete everywhere though... it's getting tiresome.

Would have been cool if the pods were little gardens with overgrowing vines but that wouldn't have fit in with anything else.

Not the less it's a very interesting building. I like the open-concept approach but it seems like a glass house to me, and puts everyone in an office/room on display. Any news on what the curtain/blind colour will be?

Great shots!

I've got to go take a look...all these images of lecture halls, etc. are making wish I was back in university.

And some more pics from the open house...

DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0667.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

DSCN0669.jpg

DSCN0670.jpg

DSCN0671.jpg

DSCN0672.jpg

DSCN0673.jpg

DSCN0674.jpg

DSCN0675.jpg

DSCN0676.jpg

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0679.jpg

DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

I guess it seems like the building is made up entirely of atria and lounges because that's where the public was allowed to wander the most, resulting in all the pics of them. It's really nice on the inside...doesn't quite make up for the outside, though.

"The U of T has quite a bunch of exciting buildings now - this will be a very stimulating place to be a student."

Unfortunately, the majority of students will rarely use the new buildings since they'll still be in the horrible 60s buildings most of the time. I'm so sick of all my classes being in the physics building (McLennan) since I'm not even in a science program. And a lot of the newer buildings frankly aren't that comfortable to hang around and spend time in.

I have now shot the pods lit up at night (they look pretty damn cool in fact) and put them up on my flickr page.

If you visit www.flickr.com/photos/castelmar/233483946/ then you'll be mid-set: click on the coloured thumbnail to go through the new pictures, or click on the nearly black and white one to revisit the interior shots.

interchange:

Thanks for the amazing shots - whatever aesthetic shortcomings the building suffers from during daytime has been throughly redeemed at night.

AoD

Yeah - the pods look great. While the colours change, they do it pretty slowly. I saw one change in the nearly half hour I was photographing before the lights went out at 11pm, so maybe they change every 15 minutes or so. I'm looking forward to seeing some other colour combinations, and I'd like to do some interior shots at night as well. We'll see if I get time soon...

Nice photos... but it seems like the atrium is a waste of space at night with the lights but nobody inside. Maybe it's a nice location for a nightclub? :)

Nice pair of brightly coloured balls.

A third rotating mirror balls may help in achieving wylie's suggestion.

Wylie, the shots were taken between 10:30 and 11pm on the Sunday night of Labour Day Weekend, so if not much was going on at the time, well, it only seems reasonable!

Bizorky, I do hope to get back into the lobby for some night shots when there is activity, later is the fall, so I can do it earlier! If there is a disco night going on at the time, so be it! (The students could hold a make-your-own-e dance night in the lobby and the labs. I'm sure it would be a huge hit...)

Back