News   Aug 27, 2024
 866     2 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Aug 27, 2024
 557     0 

Turks and Caicos Islands to join Canada?

If there is a global government eventually, I think it will be called China.

Don't think so. Too tough to learn the language!

Besides, India will be bigger than China in a few years.

So, what are the exact benefits to Canada?

Does anyone know how much is this going to cost??
I think this maybe a bad idea, ie., hurricane devestates the island which happens from time to time the carribean, there goes a couple of billion.

400km of beachline!! Just think, we could build the worlds largest elevated shoreline highway.

Considering it has only 15 000 residents, it couldn't cost that much. Also, damage from hurricanes could be reduced with higher building standards.

Florida has hurricanes...still, I'd say it was a rather good acquisition for the US!

I think the big hangup is that they would want to have provincial status, and it seems unreasonable to have such a small province. Still, I don't really think it's so bad! Joe Clark promised to make the Yukon a province, and PEI is so much smaller than Ontario anyway that what difference would a province one tenth the size of PEI really make? Actually, a bit bigger than one tenth, I think. India has a state smaller than PEI and another one with 120 million people.

If an association is desired by both parties then I don't see what the problem is. One thing is for certain- there would be a huge influx of tourists and residents to that nation if any kind of political association was made.

I think this maybe a bad idea, ie., hurricane devestates the island which happens from time to time the carribean, there goes a couple of billion.

We give money to cattle farmers, atlantic fishermen, P3 businesses, why not a carribean destination that will probably generate much greater tax dollars.

Re: Unknown

Well my post is not missing, and is well known.

Forget about it now. Britain got to them first:

(CNN) -- Britain says it has suspended the government of the Turks and Caicos Islands and imposed direct rule after allegations of systemic corruption and "serious dishonesty".

British Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant said he instructed the British governor of the island territory to suspend the ministerial government and the House of Assembly for as long as two years.

Bryant said his order also suspends the constitutional right to trial by jury in the Turks and Caicos.

"This is a serious constitutional step which the UK government has not taken lightly, but these measures are essential in order to restore good governance and sound financial management," Bryant said in a statement.

"It remains our intentions that elections should be held by July 2011, if not sooner. It is also important that the people of Turks and Caicos Islands continue to have a voice in the interim and the order puts in place an advisory council and consultative forum to make sure this happens."

The move follows allegations of corruption in the Turks and Caicos, a British Overseas Territory of eight major islands and numerous uninhabited keys, 800 kilometers (500 miles) southeast of Miami, Florida.

The British government set up a commission of inquiry in July 2008 to look into possible corruption or other serious dishonesty in recent years of past and present elected members of the legislature.

The commission's report, delivered May 31, found "information in abundance pointing to a high probability of systemic corruption and/or serious dishonesty" in the Turks and Caicos, the Foreign Office said.

"This, together with clear signs of political amorality and immaturity and of general administrative incompetence, demonstrated a need for urgent suspension in whole or in part of the constitution and for other legislative and administrative reforms," the Foreign Office said.

The report also recommends criminal investigations into former Premier Michael Misick and four of his former Cabinet ministers.

"This is not a 'British takeover,'" said Gordon Wetherell, governor of the Turks and Caicos Islands. "Public services will continue to be run by people of the Turks and Caicos Islands, as indeed they should be. But I hope we can now begin to run them better."

As a British Overseas Territory, Queen Elizabeth is the head of state and the governor is her official representative.

The governor is responsible for defense; external affairs; internal security, including the islands' police force; and the appointment of some public officials, but he is normally required to act on the advice of the Cabinet.

The islands' ministerial system includes the premier and six other ministers who must act according to Cabinet policies.

Britain always had them. They are just instituting "direct rule" as they do with Northern Ireland when things get a little hairy. One could probably make the case that becoming a part of a stable western hemisphere nation like Canada is something to be considered now more than ever.

I know Turks & Caicos has a lot more to gain by Canada allowing them to become our 11th Province but I don't see why no Prime Minister hasn't latched on to this.

In the very least, why are we sending our money to Cuba, Mexico, the Dominican when the Canadian government can be collecting tourist tax dollars in a Caribbean destination run by us?

It would be a wildly popular destination with no passport requirements and the ability to spend Canadian cash. So popular in fact that I think that it would at least break even, if not provide a surplus to the Federal government.

I remember reading somewhere (probably Wiki) that to let somewhere join as the 11th province would require approval from the provinces, which would reopen the constitution debate and the Quebec problem, something that no PM would really want to get into, so at most they can let them in as a territory.

I remember reading somewhere (probably Wiki) that to let somewhere join as the 11th province would require approval from the provinces, which would reopen the constitution debate and the Quebec problem, something that no PM would really want to get into, so at most they can let them in as a territory.

Wikipedia also said that Nova Scotia offered to let them join the province to avoid the constitutional nightmare. Would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Just think--after World War I, Canada tried to get control of all of Britain's North Atlantic territories as protectorates, just like Australia did with the Solomon Islands. It probably wouldn't be too hard to do it now thanks to all of the economic connections to the Caribbean islands.

urbanfan89 said:
If they join Canada, would they be forced to bring their banks up to Canadian standards, essentially shutting down the offshore banking system?

Thanks to the role that offshore banking played in the economic meltdown, it's possible that offshore banking is going to be shut down anyway.

Thanks to the role that offshore banking played in the economic meltdown, it's possible that offshore banking is going to be shut down anyway.

I don't think so. There will always be tiny no-name places where billionaires can stash their cash without worrying about taxes.

Another concern: Are the immigration authorities prepared to deal with the massive flood of Haitian refugees who will find Canada much closer and easier to reach?

Given our relationship with the Carribean countries (for example we pretty much train and manage several military forces in the region, Canadian banks dominate the region, etc.) I think we should formalize it and take on some of these places as part of Canada. At the very least, we'd keep a lot of Canadian tourist dollars inside the country...

Back