News   Apr 25, 2024
 366     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

The city (and the province) has to give the TTC the operating budget it needs to do the upgrades. The TTC in the past 6 years has seen cuts, cuts, and more cuts. Time to reverse that. The TTC can only be more "efficient" if it is properly funded.
And how are we going to convince those elected officials to do that?

Make it politically unpleasant, of course. Copy BLM tactics, continuously disrupt board meetings and stay in the media limelight so that these issues occupy their mindspaces rent-free.

Modern politics is tuned so that the loudest, most disruptive voices are heard. Byford, as much as I like him, is too polite to say "No".

Make it politically unpleasant, of course. Copy BLM tactics, continuously disrupt board meetings and stay in the media limelight so that these issues occupy their mindspaces rent-free.

Modern politics is tuned so that the loudest, most disruptive voices are heard. Byford, as much as I like him, is too polite to say "No".
It is not a civil servant's job to dictate to politicians. All who do have short careers. It is the job of the electorate to make their wishes heard.

Civil servants have access to information that the public often do not have access to, and thus are in a position to tell a more complete account of the situation. Politicians use, warp or ignore this information in shaping their agenda, and often times the public also has an incomplete notion of the situation due to incomplete information percolation and lack of easily understandable data.

It may be true that you don't want Gary Webster situations all the time, but sometimes it's worth letting public know directly what the best path is rather than letting politicians' agendas walk all you. Byford doesn't need to make a scene, but I think it would have helped if he rejected the cuts/freezes in name of service reliability/safety rather than calling it a "tough" situation (remember how the AC failed last summer, the overcrowding due to underservicing, and the ongoing chronic signal issues).

Last edited:
Here is an idea I have regarding creating a tourist line for the TTC's vintage streetcars, kind of similar to San Francisco's Market Street railway, but not. It would be the TTC Brickworks Line, and would run from a new TTC Museum located around Distillery Loop, on a single track beside the GO Richmond Hill Line to a new loop at the Brickworks.

In my mind, this concept addresses a few issues. First, it provides access to the Brickworks in a unique and creative manner. Second, it provides a safe operating environment for the heritage fleet, meaning somewhere to run that is separated from cars. The TTC currently has 1 Peter Witt (a second exists and could be re-acquired), two PCCs, and will hopefully hang on to 2 CLRVs and 2 ALRVs once they are retired. Three, this helps establish a TTC Museum, which could house the cars that will run on the heritage line (only two or three would operate at a time), and there are a handful of TTC relics in storage in Ottawa that could help fill a future TTC Museum. Fourth, I remember Steve Munro saying that there could be issues for the heritage fleet in the medium-term once poles are phased out and pans are used on the entire TTC fleet, and the TTC stops maintaining pole-specific infrastructure.

Stops could include Distillery Loop, Queen, Dundas, Gerrard, and Brickworks (via steps down form the road to a small platform trackside at the roads the line runs under, using a PRESTO faregate to pay). My rationale for a single track (with maybe one or two targeted passing tracks) is to reduce construction costs, to deal with space restrictions, and because a tourist line would not operate at high frequencies anyways (maybe every 15 or 20 mins). In terms of space, there seems to be enough for an additional TTC gauge streetcar track, or where there is not, one of the two GO Richmond Hill tracks could be repurposed. GO doesn't seem to have two-way aspirations for this line anytime soon. If there was a desire to keep service in the winter, or to appease accessibility requirements, a single Flexity could operate on the line.

Yes, the urgency of this isn't even close to the Waterfont LRT or Relief Line, but I think that a TTC Museum + heritage route would be a great tourist attraction for Toronto, and would attract GTHA residents to the area during the summer months. In my view, laying TTC gauge rail on a mostly existing RoW (4.5 km) shouldn't cost an exorbitant amount, and the establishment of a TTC museum could be something that could have a decent business case. There are some details that I haven't fleshed out, like how to connect it to the existing network at Distillery Loop (most likely to be rebuilt for the Waterfront LRT), but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and constructive criticism on this!

kAj7IwZ.png

kFoMA51.png

tOipJs4.png

Bayview isn't exactly the most scenic route. I'm not attracted to see car dealerships like BMW along the way.

In San Francisco, you get to see the city. Here, it would only attract people who really wants to ride a streetcar. It can't be used for commuting either unless you work at Brick Works.

It may be true that you don't want Gary Webster situations all the time,

Webster toed the line for most of his career, right up until he found a replacement and notified the city he would not be renewing his contract; Webster hired Byford before the Ford incidents started occurring with expectations of him taking over.

I expect if Webster intended on renewing his contract, he wouldn't have made much if any noise during Ford's scheming.

One problem that remains to be fixed is the requirement that streetcars have to stop at each and every track single-point track switch. Service can be improved if they didn't. In Europe, they use double-point switches (like we have on the subway). However, because on "cuts, cuts, cuts" on the TTC budget, there is no money available. I put the blame on the suburban Councillors who do not use public transit and see no need to improve streetcar service.
It has nothing to do with the type of switch it's because there is currently nothing for the driver to confirm that the switch is favorable for them except by sight, other than by stopping to check it before proceeding. The current switches date back to when the CLRVs and ALRVs went into service and were designed for them, the new fleet has been designed to work with newer switches as weCurrentlyntly plans seem to be when they next satrt replaincing the switches.

I doubt the TTC will want to put a streetcar line down through a valley that still floods on occasion.

Good idea, but it's more likely that even Go will want out of that valley.

I doubt the TTC will want to put a streetcar line down through a valley that still floods on occasion.

Good idea, but it's more likely that even Go will want out of that valley.
This wouldn't even be a TTC thing. It's not a commuting line and a major money loser operation. It has to be a business that can recoup money.

I'll add a few more thoughts regarding mixed traffic streetcar expansion (which I'm in favour of):

1) It doesn't make sense to me for the 506 to terminate at High Park. Take it up the couple of blocks to Keele station and I think you'd unlock a lot of potential ridership.

2) Coxwell already has track in spots. Finish it up with new track linking Coxwell station to the beaches. It's a no brainer for an eastern downtown route.

3) Like Coxwell, Ossington already has significant trackage along its length. Filling in the gaps would be easy and you'd have another busy route connecting line 2 to the bustling Queen West area. Again, it's so obvious that I'm flabbergasted it wasn't already done ages ago.

4) Restore the previously existing track north of Bloor on Dundas through the Junction. Take it as far as Jane to meet up with the future Jane LRT, or even to Scarlett to link up with a future extension of the St. Clair route, which has been proposed to go as far as Kipling station along Dundas.

5) Restore the previously existing track along Dupont. This street will densify significantly in the coming years. Run the new track from Bay all the way to Dundas, where it would merge with the restored Junction track I mentioned in point 4.

End the war on the streetcar!

The 312 ST. CLAIR-JUNCTION night bus runs from DUNDAS WEST STATION to ST. CLAIR STATION, replacing the 512 ST. CLAIR streetcar and 40 JUNCTION bus in the early morning hours. I think it naturally follows the route where a streetcar should run in the regular hours.

312map.gif

It would also provide a shorter route for the 512 streetcars to get to and from the Roncesvalles barns.

But first, they need to change the mobility hub plans to include a third set of tracks at Dundas West Station. Current plans are for two set of tracks, should they change Edna Avenue from one way to a two way street.
dundas-west-bloor-mobility-hub-jpg.84753

Last edited:
This wouldn't even be a TTC thing. It's not a commuting line and a major money loser operation. It has to be a business that can recoup money.

That depends on the ticket price though. Noone expects a turist line to charge a regular TTC fare. If they charge $15 for an adult ticket, and $5 for child / student / senior, they might actually make money.

I'll add a few more thoughts regarding mixed traffic streetcar expansion (which I'm in favour of):

1) It doesn't make sense to me for the 506 to terminate at High Park. Take it up the couple of blocks to Keele station and I think you'd unlock a lot of potential ridership.

2) Coxwell already has track in spots. Finish it up with new track linking Coxwell station to the beaches. It's a no brainer for an eastern downtown route.

3) Like Coxwell, Ossington already has significant trackage along its length. Filling in the gaps would be easy and you'd have another busy route connecting line 2 to the bustling Queen West area. Again, it's so obvious that I'm flabbergasted it wasn't already done ages ago.

4) Restore the previously existing track north of Bloor on Dundas through the Junction. Take it as far as Jane to meet up with the future Jane LRT, or even to Scarlett to link up with a future extension of the St. Clair route, which has been proposed to go as far as Kipling station along Dundas.

5) Restore the previously existing track along Dupont. This street will densify significantly in the coming years. Run the new track from Bay all the way to Dundas, where it would merge with the restored Junction track I mentioned in point 4.

End the war on the streetcar!

Coxwell and Dundas West / Junction probably make sense. Coxwell will be a short route, but popular especially on the summer weekends. The Dundas extension can help mitigate the space shortage at the Dundas West terminus, as some of the service will go through instead of looping there.

IMO, there is no room for a streetcar terminus at Keele station, or at the north end of Ossington.

Dupont is probably doable, but the ridership volume is questionable as it will compete with the frequent-stop Bloor subway running less than 1 km away. For many trips it will be much faster to take a short N-S bus ride and get on the subway, rather than travel on the streetcar.

Back