News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 640     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 304     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

I'd like to see the Parliament St. streetcar return, but go further and enter the subway grounds as part of a rethink of the Castlefrank station.

Also,
Having the Parliament Line been placed back into service has been raised more times than enough over the last 20 years with Waterfront Toronto Transit Plan and keep been told outside the scope area by the City. This also includes a few other lines.

Again, with the through track at Bay Portal, this opens the door to various options as to what can happen for the network even when the line gets built to Dufferin St.

I've read that there are no plans to connect the Cherry St. loop to the Portlands. This seems to be an obvious route, with the streetcars going under the Cherry St. bridge, across Lakeshore and into the coming Portlands community. Plus it's a direct route to the Leslie St. barns. So, what's up?

Update on the remaining Adelaide trackwork from the City:

Source: https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...ucture-projects/adelaide-street-construction/

I also saw them putting up new feeders along Adelaide east of Charlotte a few weeks ago. Hopefully they plan to make the track live for diversions shortly after this is done and we don't have to wait for the much delayed work on York.
It is a yes and no issue for having the 501-streetcar returning to the sub normal routing.

Easy to have the 501 going east, but 501 going west will be an issue once the York St trackwork hit Queen St. Depending on how the southbound switch is installed at Queen, the 501 will not be able to use Richmond to get to Queen until the trackwork is completed along with the overhead. You could run the 501 westbound on Dundas like in the past from Church to McCaul and back to Queen while TTC dealing with the Queen/York intersection.

Doing so will free up buses, currently replacing the streetcars.

I've read that there are no plans to connect the Cherry St. loop to the Portlands. This seems to be an obvious route, with the streetcars going under the Cherry St. bridge, across Lakeshore and into the coming Portlands community. Plus it's a direct route to the Leslie St. barns. So, what's up?
Yes, there is a plan to do so, and it has been on the books since 2008 in various forms.

The current loop will be replaced by a through track under the rail corridor that will be East of the current RR tower or close to it with a wide sidewalk on the east side of the tunnel.

It will then angle across the Lake Shore to connect to the QQE extension and the New Cherry St ROW. Will be able to go south or west at that connection.

It will be clearer once the 60% design work is done this year for the QQE extension to the Portland.

As for going to the Leslie Barns, that will happen around 2040-60 along with the connection to Broadview.

You are a UT regular so I am surprised you have never looked at the (very long) thread that discusses this in detail. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/waterfront-transit-reset-phase-1-study.25504/page-122

It is a yes and no issue for having the 501-streetcar returning to the sub normal routing.

Easy to have the 501 going east, but 501 going west will be an issue once the York St trackwork hit Queen St. Depending on how the southbound switch is installed at Queen, the 501 will not be able to use Richmond to get to Queen until the trackwork is completed along with the overhead. You could run the 501 westbound on Dundas like in the past from Church to McCaul and back to Queen while TTC dealing with the Queen/York intersection.

Doing so will free up buses, currently replacing the streetcars.
I didn't mean for the 501 diversion, though if there was a willingness to perform the westbound diversion along King it would be possible. I doubt it since they could have already done the whole diversion along King from Spadina to Church but have not.

I'll concede that there wouldn't be very many situations they could use it, but they seem to have justified it enough to spend money tacking on the Spadina to York tracks, so it must have some utility. Mostly I'd just like there to be something delivered in a state where it's available for service and isn't just another of the many projects that seem to be nearly done but not quite on the chance some other department screw up lets us push an expense into the next quarter.

My wife’s grandmother told me that the 501 used to climb past Neville Park and turn instead at Blantyre. As one who spent much of high school climbing or cycling up that hill, that would have been a nice feature to have kept.

My wife’s grandmother told me that the 501 used to climb past Neville Park and turn instead at Blantyre. As one who spent much of high school climbing or cycling up that hill, that would have been a nice feature to have kept.
I do not think this is 100% true, see https://transittoronto.ca/streetcar/4101.shtml

KINGSTON ROAD AND QUEEN IN CONFLICT​

In 1896, the TRC sought to extend streetcar service along Queen to the southern part of the Munro estate, which had been remade into the new Munro Park, which the TRC leased. They also wanted to cross the Neville Park ravine to reach Victoria Park. Already, the TRC owned the Kingston Road suburban service, which operated down Blantyre Avenue to neighbouring Victoria Park. This shouldn’t have caused difficulties, but it did, as the Kingston Road suburban service also held the franchise for Queen Street east of Maclean Avenue. The Village of East Toronto, which had a number of grievances with the Toronto Railway Company (mostly due to fares), decided to make trouble. On July 20, 1897, when the TRC started moving supplies onto Queen Street east of Maclean Avenue, the village organized a ‘posse’ which tossed the rails and ties into a nearby ravine. Cooler heads prevailed, however, and one year later improved service was operating during the summer to a loop in Munro Park.

The TRC wasn’t satisfied with Munro Park, however, and in 1906, General Manager R. Fleming entered into an arrangement with Dominion Parks Company to obtain property between Maclean and Leuty Avenues. Here was set up the Scarboro Beach Park, an ‘electric’ park served exclusively by streetcar. This became a very popular attraction, and it was one of the few properties the TRC retained after the Toronto Transportation Commission took over in 1921. The park lasted until 1925, and has since been filled in with housing. Likewise, Munro Park and Victoria Park were shut down in 1906-07, and subdivided for housing.

As Toronto entered the 1910s, service on Queen Street was split in two. Downtown cars operated to Woodbine, and the single track along Queen Street to Munro Park was handled by stub service. The City eventually stepped in and built a set of double tracks to a wye at Neville Park, allowing through service and night service to begin on December 24, 1914, with every second car turning back at Scarboro Beach.

The wye at Neville Park, incidentally, is the reason there remained an isolated section of streetcar track running down Neville Park Boulevard until the beginning of the 21st century. After the construction of the loop, the tailtrack from the wye remained, to regulate service. The connection with the Queen trackage was taken away in May 1989, but the track remained visible for years afterward.

Having the Parliament Line been placed back into service has been raised more times than enough over the last 20 years with Waterfront Toronto Transit Plan and keep been told outside the scope area by the City. This also includes a few other lines.
Which other lines??

Sort of. According to this, it looks like the Blantyre track from Queen to Kingston Road only was used from 1893 to 1897, the the last section of the Queen (now 501) route from MacLean to Neville only opened in 1898.

Similarly the Kingston Road spur to up Walter and Kimberly to Toronto East (Gerrard and Main) closed in 1913, when the streetcar on Gerrard (now 506) was extended there.

1712185839010.png

Sort of. According to this, it looks like the Blantyre track from Queen to Kingston Road only was used from 1893 to 1897, the the last section of the Queen (now 501) route from MacLean to Neville only opened in 1898.

Similarly the Kingston Road spur to up Walter and Kimberly to Toronto East (Gerrard and Main) closed in 1913, when the streetcar on Gerrard (now 506) was extended there.
Where is that map from? That looks very useful.

View attachment 553426
The tracks along Blantyre Ave (the Blantyre Branch) were built by the Toronto & Scarboro Electric Railway which used them during summer. In fact the tracks along Blantyre weren't even on the street but instead on an elevated right-of-way. The tracks were torn up and reused to extend the main interurban line deeper into Scarborough. The tracks along Kimberly (known as the Walter Branch) were also owned by the T&SER but that service ended due to low ridership. Passengers in the then Village of East Toronto preferred the Gerrard Streetcar (operated by the Toronto Civic Railway) as it provided a more direct service into downtown Toronto.

242022.jpg

This is a picture of the old elevated right-of-way along Blantyre.

Back