News   May 09, 2024
 756     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 530     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 893     1 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I don't want that. I want a subway like Yonge has. Why does Vaughan get the new rocket trains and artistic stations and Eglinton gets streetcars underground. I don't want it. Subways only please. I want my 1/44th portion of the funding spent on subways. Why should Sheppard get a subway when I don't get one. I'm important.

The light rail vehicles will be wider and longer than Montréal's Metro train cars. If one actually visits subway, metro, and other underground electric railways around the world, they would see different lengths, widths, platform heights, etc..

Metrolinx sends down its decisions on April 25th, and hopefully they will not just offer a bitter pill.

I agree with you on a proper subway on Eglinton, too bad for Harris' austerity plan.

But are they not just going to go with what council voted on? I doubt they all of a sudden are going to say subways for Eglinton

But are they not just going to go with what council voted on? I doubt they all of a sudden are going to say subways for Eglinton

Metrolinx is only going to be deciding on implementation timing and perhaps who pays cancellation fees related to previous Sheppard contracts. The "what" will be exactly as requested by city council provided it fits the allotted budget; McGuinty among others have been very clear on that

Metrolinx is only going to be deciding on implementation timing and perhaps who pays cancellation fees related to previous Sheppard contracts. The "what" will be exactly as requested by city council provided it fits the allotted budget; McGuinty among others have been very clear on that

And possibly station counts due to any new costs.

Its hard to tell. I know of certain Scarborough residents who would actually say that.

Most of the people who come on here and are serious about stuff like that generally don't stay on here very long, haha. The one woman who came onto the Roncesvalles reconstruction thread and ranted for a couple pages comes to mind. That was pretty funny!

What is the current state of affairs in the attempt to expand the sheppard subway?

Sorry for not hanging around much... been so busy. :/

Is it possible for Ford to block the construction of the sheppard LRT? Subway is clearly superior for part of that distance.

Is it possible for Ford to block the construction of the sheppard LRT? Subway is clearly superior for part of that distance.

From a legal standpoint the mayor has zero power over the transit file except as a member of city council. The mayor typically has huge political power which they can use to get city council to do what they want but Ford's hard-line tactics have stripped him of most of that too.

City Council has ultimate authority over the city (as granted by the province).

Councils main sticking point on this item is that it boiled down to LRT versus bus service. While subway may "clearly be superior", that isn't an option that was actually presented by the mayor or any other parties.

The Mayor's subway option was actually to continue with bus-service for an unknown number of years (minimum 5) and subway could be considered at some future date, maybe. He wasn't able to find funding to perform the engineering design for the subway option to determine how much it might cost to build; so it was almost certainly going to be 2020 before actual construction work started on the line and perhaps long after that.

Ultimately, City Council decided that LRT was going to be better than bus service in mixed traffic and Metrolinx is following that request.

Only the province has the legal ability to halt the project at this point. A snap election and Conservative majority could cause that. NDP is happy with LRT and Liberals just want to get something done at this point.

A Conservative win, to me, would guarantee the bus-option as it seems unlikely for Hudak to find the money to build Sheppard as a subway when he could instead drop HST by 1%.

Last edited:
Well I think Sheppard East LRT will stay precisely that. I think the real question is what are they doing to do with Sheppard from Yonge to the Spadina ext.
It can't be anything but subway because if it's not then they will have to build another LRT garage and maintenance centre for that tiny 5 km stretch to say nothing of how completely disjointed Sheppard would become. Even for Sheppard Stubway haters the reality is that when the Sheppard East LRT and Spadina ext are completed then the Sheppard subway will get MUCH busier.
I never thought a Sheppard subway ext from DM to STC much sense but I have always thought that extending the Stubway to Spadina makes a lot of sense and would not be very expensive.

Well I think Sheppard East LRT will stay precisely that. I think the real question is what are they doing to do with Sheppard from Yonge to the Spadina ext.
It can't be anything but subway because if it's not then they will have to build another LRT garage and maintenance centre for that tiny 5 km stretch to say nothing of how completely disjointed Sheppard would become. Even for Sheppard Stubway haters the reality is that when the Sheppard East LRT and Spadina ext are completed then the Sheppard subway will get MUCH busier.
I never thought a Sheppard subway ext from DM to STC much sense but I have always thought that extending the Stubway to Spadina makes a lot of sense and would not be very expensive.
Perhaps that was the mistake in the first place. The sheppard subway should have started from Spadina and joined up to Yonge. At least then it would have stooped that extension to Vaugjan or at least not given them a one ride trip to downtown.

Here they mention potential federal funding... http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...c-sheppard-120611/20120611?hub=TorontoNewHome

Suppose that Ford gets some of that sweet funding for eastbound expansion. Is there anything to stop that expansion from happening? Hm?

As awful as the guy is, I really think that it's legit to vote for him because of only subways. Let everything else collapse, but when nobody else aggressively promotes subways then there is no alternative really.

I am shocked that there are no mass protests demanding eastbound subway extension for at least a few stops. :(

Back