News   Jul 19, 2024
 155     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 873     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 441     1 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

They can? Where are these people getting the subways they want? Nobody is getting the subways they want. Who on the planet would want an LRT over a subway if money were no object? Money is an object and if people get to choose that all their money is spent on a segment of subway to the benefit of their ward there will be 44 chunks of money to be decided on with only maybe 4 of 44 thinking Sheppard West is the most important to their ward, the rest of the Scarborough wards would probably benefit more from a Danforth extension or a long Eglinton subway.

If money were no object I would put the trains on the surface and push the private cars underground.

I want to see the sun!

Are there plans for an S(L)RT extension?

I recall Gordon Cho mentioning a motion for it during the Great Sheppard Debate a few weeks ago. Is an extension towards Malvern on Metrolinx's radar? If so, I think it's brilliant. It allows for rapid transit to reach an area of the city severely underserved by RT. Further, it gives a Scarberians what they demanded from a Sheppard extension, and then some.

That's always been in the plans - contingent on funding, of course. The EA spells it out as such.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's always been in the plans - contingent on funding, of course. The EA spells it out as such.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's also contingent on the Sheppard LRT, as the SRT extension relies on there being a new LRT yard on Sheppard to store additional vehicles.

This is why it briefly disappeared in the Ford-Metrolinx compromise from last year but is back now.

It should be obvious that the farther the way you are from your destination the more transfers you will likely have to make. I visited my sister at midland and mcnicole for dinner the other night and couldn't believe how far it was from downtown. I didn't Google it but I am sure it is equally as far as mississauga city Centre. I'm pretty sure no one expects riders from MCC to only have to take one transfer to get downtown. I'm all for eliminating transfers but let's admit when places are damn far and it's unrealistic. That being said I would go to other surface subway sized spacing on eglinton so I could keep the srt interlining.

Yeah, I think people forget that Scarborough is both physically huge and physically separated from the rest of Toronto. Port Union Road and Lawrence to City Hall is 28 km - or the same distance as City Hall to Clarkson GO station!

I agree with you that the best thing to do would be to keep the Eglinton LRT on the surface, but axe at least half the stops to speed up the service across those vast distances (and save money).

The other thing would be to invest in regional rail. While it isn't perfect, the people out in the faraway reaches of Rouge Hill can travel downtown on the GO train in 33 minutes. How many people who live near York university - hell, even in Parkdale! - can say that?

I recall Gordon Cho mentioning a motion for it during the Great Sheppard Debate a few weeks ago. Is an extension towards Malvern on Metrolinx's radar? If so, I think it's brilliant. It allows for rapid transit to reach an area of the city severely underserved by RT. Further, it gives a Scarberians what they demanded from a Sheppard extension, and then some.
That was going to happen regardless of what happened on sheppard.

To clarify what everybody wrote, the Malvern extension is shelved indefinitely. But the extension of SRT to Sheppard Ave. is now back in the Phase I plan, correct?

To clarify what everybody wrote, the Malvern extension is shelved indefinitely. But the extension of SRT to Sheppard Ave. is now back in the Phase I plan, correct?

i think they agreed to study the malvern extension when they made the lrt vote. but yes the srt to sheppard is back on track.

i think they agreed to study the malvern extension when they made the lrt vote. but yes the srt to sheppard is back on track.

i think they agreed to study the malvern extension when they made the lrt vote.
The study was already completed. They asked for funding. The City Council decision on March 22nd was:

1. City Council confirm that Light Rail Transit (LRT) is the preferred rapid transit mode for Sheppard Avenue East from Don Mills to Morningside, and confirm the Sheppard Avenue East LRT as a priority line within the approved Metrolinx "5 in 10" plan.

2. City Council request the City Manager to develop a communications plan which outlines the significance of transit's role in city building, on Sheppard Avenue East and across the City.

3. City Council request that in addition to the currently committed funding, the federal and provincial governments provide funding for the following projects:

a. the extension of the SRT conversion from Sheppard Avenue East to Malvern Town Centre; and ...

What they agreed to study was:

i. a subway connection from the Yonge-Sheppard Station to the University-Spadina-York University line;
ii. a Downtown Relief Line;
iii. rapid transit service for the Waterfront and Portlands;
iv. an eastward extension of the Sheppard Line to Malvern and the Toronto Zoo;
v. a westward extension of the Bloor-Danforth Line to Sherway Gardens; and
vi. additional North-South routes along major highway, rail or hydro rights of way; and

Last edited:
Which amounted to a formality after Miller's lobbying efforts to extend Sheppard were crushed decisively by the combined forces of the Provincial government, the Federal government, York Region, and York University.

Since when does York University have a say on which subway gets built? Miller and council should have said no to Spadina extension period.

Since when does York University have a say on which subway gets built? Miller and council should have said no to Spadina extension period.
Hard to see a major Toronto institution like York U. not using its influence. Your beef should be with Miller since he couldn't get the province and the feds on his side.

At that time it came to a fight between Sheppard and Spadina subway extensions. Miller and Council weren't going to say no to $1.6 billion from upper levels of government just because their primary choice was shot down.

It's also contingent on the Sheppard LRT, as the SRT extension relies on there being a new LRT yard on Sheppard to store additional vehicles.

This is why it briefly disappeared in the Ford-Metrolinx compromise from last year but is back now.

Actually, it was pulled from the Ford-Metrolinx compromise in order to channel as much funding as possible to undergrounding the Eglinton Line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

East York, North Toronto and York are getting a fully grade separated underground LRT - basically a subway to most people.

I don't want that. I want a subway like Yonge has. Why does Vaughan get the new rocket trains and artistic stations and Eglinton gets streetcars underground. I don't want it. Subways only please. I want my 1/44th portion of the funding spent on subways. Why should Sheppard get a subway when I don't get one. I'm important.

I don't want that. I want a subway like Yonge has. Why does Vaughan get the new rocket trains and artistic stations and Eglinton gets streetcars underground. I don't want it. Subways only please. I want my 1/44th portion of the funding spent on subways. Why should Sheppard get a subway when I don't get one. I'm important.

Metrolinx sends down its decisions on April 25th, and hopefully they will not just offer a bitter pill.

I agree with you on a proper subway on Eglinton, too bad for Harris' austerity plan.

Back