News   Jul 12, 2024
 891     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 802     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 333     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

But from the connectivity standpoint, Warden might be a better interim terminus than Victoria Park.
Fair enough, if the travel demand is still between 5,000 and 10,000 and marginally supports it. Not much further than that, and ridership drops even further.

It's definitely true that people in "upscale" neighbourhoods sometimes don't realize the value of rapid transit until their opportunity to have access to it is lost. But fortunately in Toronto, such attitudes and their consequences seem to be the exception to the rule, since most affluent neighbourhoods in the city are close to a subway station.

It makes sense not to rush that subway all the way to STC in the next 20 years.

But from the connectivity standpoint, Warden might be a better interim terminus than Victoria Park. That will give a direct bus connection to the Finch/Warden cluster, and to the Enterprise area further north in Markham. Plus, the Finch East bus service may be reconfigured to shift part of the ridership to the subway, and reduce the total number of buses needed.

+1 Makes perfect sense really. They can also reconfigure the VIVA Green Line to operate from a new Warden station right up to the new Markham Downtown. If Metrolinx is serious about regional integration, they can make VIVA Green a route that TTC Riders can use as their express service so that the Warden/Finch cluster is well served. But i have little faith and it would probably just be duplication of service...*sigh*

Also, why build another major subway terminus & terminal at Victoria Park if Don Mills is just nearby, might as well push the subway to Warden then build another major terminal there. There's also plenty of land along Sheppard up to Warden that is already open/abandoned and can be redeveloped with no problem at all.

Last edited:
+1 Makes perfect sense really. They can also reconfigure the VIVA Green Line to operate from a new Warden station right up to the new Markham Downtown. If Metrolinx is serious about regional integration, they can make VIVA Green a route that TTC Riders can use as their express service so that the Warden/Finch cluster is well served. But i have little faith and it would probably just be duplication of service...*sigh*

I think there's hope for this. Remember that Viva Orange currently duplicates route 196 exactly and accepts TTC proof of payment within Toronto. The only difference with Viva Green would be that rather than serving to reduce overcrowding, Viva would be serving to increase variety of service.

From City Hall reporter John Lorinc's latest column at Spacing:

That discomfort will only grow when council gets a look at the implications of next year’s humongous budget cuts, especially on core services like the TTC and recreation programs. And it may catch fire when council (and the public) realizes what some of the mayor’s key advisors are beginning to acknowledge privately: that they were sold a bill of goods with his privately-funded Sheppard subway scheme.

Emphasis added.

Never going to happen.

What's that got to do with the uproar? Don't you remember the articles in the Star in the 1980s and 1990s documenting opposition to the subway?

Let me get this straight...there were articles a quarter century ago about people opposing the subway. That means that no new development will be allowed to happen along the Sheppard corridor, despite the fact that tens of thousands of units are already being built. Okay...

Let me get this straight...there were articles a quarter century ago about people opposing the subway. That means that no new development will be allowed to happen along the Sheppard corridor, despite the fact that tens of thousands of units are already being built. Okay...
Nothing like that at all. However you said that there was no uproar in site relating to the current subway on Sheppard Avenue ... ignoring the uproar that did exist a quarter-century ago when the planning started on that segment. That's all.

Nothing like that at all. However you said that there was no uproar in site relating to the current subway on Sheppard Avenue ... ignoring the uproar that did exist a quarter-century ago when the planning started on that segment. That's all.

What I think is most likely to happen is there will be pockets where the intensification will be supported, and pockets where it will be opposed. There are many different neighbourhoods and socio-economic cliques along Sheppard, and I think each will approach intensification in a different way. Some may give the developers free reign, some may request significant changes to their proposals, and some may say "over my dead body".

There was opposition to the subway, mostly due to people not wanting their neighbourhoods infiltrated with highrises, and it is my understanding as well that the lack of a Willowdale station is significantly due to that opposition. The creation of Doris Ave, Beecroft Rd, and the push to keep high-rises south of Sheppard and away from Willowdale is all a part of trying to stop intensification from getting into the stable neighbourhood that area residents want protected.

From City Hall reporter John Lorinc's latest column at Spacing:

That discomfort will only grow when council gets a look at the implications of next year’s humongous budget cuts, especially on core services like the TTC and recreation programs. And it may catch fire when council (and the public) realizes what some of the mayor’s key advisors are beginning to acknowledge privately: that they were sold a bill of goods with his privately-funded Sheppard subway scheme.

Emphasis added.

Never going to happen.

Looks like Gordon Chong has let the cat out of the bag.

The Sheppard subway will be paid for with road tolls and congestion charges.

Back