News   Jul 12, 2024
 842     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 756     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

I still hope that the dumb stubway is converted to LRT which is above ground from downsview to bathurst undergound from bathurst to victoria park and above ground to SCC. The End.

I still hope that the dumb stubway is converted to LRT which is above ground from downsview to bathurst undergound from bathurst to victoria park and above ground to SCC. The End.

The reality is that for $600 million (the cost of converting the subway to LRT), we could add on an extra 2km of subway to the route. Just to put this in perspective, it would have increased the cost of the SELRT by 2/3 without adding a single metre of new track.

Agreed. At this point I'd support a small extension to Vic Park, but that's about it on Sheppard. After the Eglinton/Scarbourough LRT, and the Spadina extension are complete, the next subway projects should be the small extension to Vic Park and the DRL. Any other transit improvements should be done in the form of queue jump lanes, or the occasional bus-only lane to make the surface routes more effective and efficient.

I can agree to that for the time being. Sheppard Ave is only 2 Lanes from Pharmacy onwards, quite simply build a terminal at Victoria Park that has ramps/portals that ascend onto street level around Pharmacy then have new HOV or Bus Only Curb lanes along Sheppard from Pharmacy all the way to Markham Road

What this could also do is reroute/start a Finch "Rocket" of some sort that Travels down Finch then deviates down Pharmacy to the new Sheppard Terminus.

There is no "loss" in widening Sheppard to a 6 lane road because no matter how much transit is offered to the corridor, if the entire street is to be densified, there is surely a need for some increase in road capacity to facilitate it. Just Look at Sheppard Ave from Bayview to Pharmacy Ave (excluding the very short 4-lane section near Bessarion), despite a subway underneath, it still can use the 6-lane corridor. Secondly, if the subway terminates at SCC in the future, that means enhanced bus service from Kennedy to Morningside will be necessary regardless.

After using Tunnel Boring from Don Mills to Victoria Park for the first phase, When all is done, for the future, Victoria Park to SCC can be done by cut-and-cover + elevated over 401.

The Sheppard Subway completion is wildly overdue and I look forward to its completion as soon as possible. I wish that the Ford administration would look at more cost saving measures, including but not limited to elevated construction. There is no reason why some of the extension, particularly the section south of Sheppard, couldn't be run elevated similar to the Canada Line in Richmond.

The Sheppard Subway completion is wildly overdue and I look forward to its completion as soon as possible. I wish that the Ford administration would look at more cost saving measures, including but not limited to elevated construction. There is no reason why some of the extension, particularly the section south of Sheppard, couldn't be run elevated similar to the Canada Line in Richmond.

The Sheppard Subway may be overdue, but the problem is that so are the Eglinton Subway, the Yonge Extension, the SRT replacement and the Downtown Relief Line. They should look into reducing the amount of tunnel-boring, not just on the Sheppard line, but on the Eglinton line as well.

Here's an actual reason why it won't happen.
The Sheppard Line tunnels aren't big enough for LRT, because there's not enough clearance for overhead lines.

Last edited:

In what way is the Sheppard Subway "overdue"? Isn't the projected ridership like 5000 pphpd?

The Sheppard Subway may be overdue, but the problem is that so are the Eglinton Subway, the Yonge Extension, the SRT replacement and the Downtown Relief Line. They should look into reducing the amount of tunnel-boring, not just on the Sheppard line, but on the Eglinton line as well.

Here's an actual reason why it won't happen.
The Sheppard Line tunnels aren't big enough for LRT, because there's not enough clearance for overhead lines.

What type of TBM are they using on Eglinton that cannot be used on Sheppard??

As for subway, the ridership is not there now or 25 years from now.

As for Sheppard being 6 lanes, let get real. Outside of peak time and including peak time, no need for 6 lanes. If so, who is using transit??

Times are a changing and time to think to the future where cars will not play a major roll like they do today. If not, have fun taking a 3 hour trip to work each way daily and that will kill you very fast from the stress of dealing with it.

The TBMs from Eglinton could be used on Sheppard if we want, it's just that they're more expensive to run than the Spadina TBMs because they're bigger (6m diameter vs 5.4m diameter). The problem is that the existing tunnels are 5.2m diameter IIRC, which is not large enough for LRT, according to the TTC and Metrolinx.

As for subway, the ridership is not there now or 25 years from now.

As for Sheppard being 6 lanes, let get real. Outside of peak time and including peak time, no need for 6 lanes. If so, who is using transit??

Times are a changing and time to think to the future where cars will not play a major roll like they do today. If not, have fun taking a 3 hour trip to work each way daily and that will kill you very fast from the stress of dealing with it.

Agreed.

Last edited:
The TBMs they ordered for Spadina have a diameter of 6.12 metres, however the diameter of the Eglinton tunnel is larger. I can't find a reference to the exact diameter that was ordered, but the EA uses a diameter of 6.5 metres for the Eglinton tunnels. This would result in a tunnel that is 13% larger for the LRT than the subway ... and increase tunnelling costs for LRT over subway.

Though building subway on Sheppard any further than Victoria Park is completely asinine. Either it will be a white elephant for decades, or there will be an uproar on the densification increases to various North York and Scarborough neighbourhoods to support it.

Uh, yeah ... that's why Willowdale station was not completed ... because there was no uproar ... right.

Willowdale is in an upscale neighborhood, and they have two bus routes (85-J and 98). They are not eager to get a subway station.

Though building subway on Sheppard any further than Victoria Park is completely asinine. Either it will be a white elephant for decades, or there will be an uproar on the densification increases to various North York and Scarborough neighbourhoods to support it.

It makes sense not to rush that subway all the way to STC in the next 20 years.

But from the connectivity standpoint, Warden might be a better interim terminus than Victoria Park. That will give a direct bus connection to the Finch/Warden cluster, and to the Enterprise area further north in Markham. Plus, the Finch East bus service may be reconfigured to shift part of the ridership to the subway, and reduce the total number of buses needed.

Back