News   Jul 19, 2024
 404     3 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 336     1 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 416     0 

TTC: Sheppard Subway Expansion (Speculative)

-By 2014, it would be very unlikely that the LRT would reach Kennedy road. Sheppard could have LRT from Morningside to Agincourt and have the rest of the way being subway with the connection to STC.

-The LRT going deeper into Scarborough would feed the Sheppard line with extra riders which will push the line in the TTC standards for subway. "Metrolinx projection were showing Sheppard meeting the target by 2031"

That's the ideal solution, but unlikely to happen. Unless they push Finch LRT ahead of Sheppard LRT, the latter will be largely complete by the 2014 election, except the tunnel between Consummers Rd and Don Mills.

That's the ideal solution, but unlikely to happen. Unless they push Finch LRT ahead of Sheppard LRT, the latter will be largely complete by the 2014 election, except the tunnel between Consummers Rd and Don Mills.

I'm highly skeptical 2014, we'll have to wait and see.

Solid Snake:

The planning horizon for Metrolinx re: Union Station is in the 2030 range, when the existing rail corridor for Union Station is expected to become saturated. To count on Metrolinx to select the DRL (which is one of the two options) on their own timeframe when Yonge line already needs to be relieved right now (which we all know), just so that the any potential revenues tools can be applied to Sheppard first is irresponsible, to say the least. DRL should have happened yesterday - not Sheppard or any other line.

AoD

Last edited:
Solid Snake:

The planning horizon for Metrolinx re: Union Station is in the 2030 range, when the existing rail corridor is expected to become saturated. To count on Metrolinx to select the DRL on their own timeframe when Yonge line already needs to be relieved right now (which we all know), just so that the any potential revenues tools can be applied to Sheppard first is irresponsible, to say the least. DRL should have happened yesterday - not Sheppard or any other line.

AoD

We all agree DRL should go first. As a matter of fact, DRL should have been funded before any LRT lines anyways

That 8.4 Billions would have got us the DRL or most of it. Why pissing off Scarborough with LRT's instead is political non sense and pure incompetence

Easy answer - those lines align with provincial interests. If the province is so intent on DRL, they would have suggested from day one as the line to fund, presence or absence of existing plans be damned. They didn't. It's all about the regions and everywhere getting a piece of the pie (except downtown, of course).

AoD

The people of dntn Toronto should NOT get any subway... cuz most of them voted AGAINST the pro subway mayor.. remember??? So why should they get subway?

If they wanted subway they shouldve voted for the subway mayor... since they didnt, tough luck.

Except that DRL subway will be as much, or perhaps more beneficial for the suburbanites commuting downtown than for the downtown residents.

Rainforest:

But god no, it's all racists living down there so screw them! The irony of that line of thinking...considering who are the ones getting really screwed in the process like you've said.

AoD

Easy answer - those lines align with provincial interests. If the province is so intent on DRL, they would have suggested from day one as the line to fund, presence or absence of existing plans be damned. They didn't. It's all about the regions and everywhere getting a piece of the pie (except downtown, of course).

AoD

Easy answer. A certain David Miller decided that Sheppard Avenue LRT was more important than the DRL. Remember him?

I think you are giving way too much credit to Miller. Explain to me why the province will fund it if it doesn't see it in their interest to do so? (vs. say, Jane or WWLRT?) And you haven't really addressed my point - if the DRL is so important to the province/Metrolinx, then why is it on the backburner? Not one provincial government since the Peterson era expressed any interest in building that line (or on that matter, any mayors since what, Eggleton?), even though the writing is on the wall for all to see that the situation is rapidly heading back to that of the late 80s. And let's move things back to the current administration as well - if you shall recall from his campaign lit, Sheppard and BD extension is pretty much the ONLY subway line to be considered. No DRL, no tunneled Eglinton, nothing. Clearly, the blind spot for DRL runs left, right and centre.

AoD

Last edited:
Except that DRL subway will be as much, or perhaps more beneficial for the suburbanites commuting downtown than for the downtown residents.

It will help somewhat, but the bottleneck is as much elsewhere as dntn. People coming in from Scarboro will tell you getting thru that rattletrap RT and thru that horror of Kennedy station is much of the battle.

Anyway, the downtown latte sippers had their hero Miller in office for many years.. that 'hero' didnt build a single km of subway, DRL or otherwise.

It will help somewhat, but the bottleneck is as much elsewhere as dntn. People coming in from Scarboro will tell you getting thru that rattletrap RT and thru that horror of Kennedy station is much of the battle.

No, the bottleneck is downtown. An inconvenience (e.g. the current three-level transfer at Kennedy, to be much improved by the LRT conversion) is not the same as a bottleneck (e.g. the impending physical impossibility of fitting any more passengers onto the southbound Yonge line at Bloor).

the downtown latte sippers

Tim's sells lattes now. Maybe it's time to come up with a new smear term.

The people of dntn Toronto should NOT get any subway... cuz most of them voted AGAINST the pro subway mayor.. remember??? So why should they get subway?

If they wanted subway they shouldve voted for the subway mayor... since they didnt, tough luck.

I seriously hope you're being sarcastic. And I voted against Rob Ford not because he was pro subway, but because he wanted to build subways in all the wrong places. If Mr. Ford has proposed building the DRL during the election campaign I may have considered voting for him.

They said they would study the Blue line in Montreal and prove that Sheppard can be just as successful.

Since I saw Montreal written here, I thought I would ask a somewhat unrelated question.

I have ridden the subway (Metro) to the last stop at Cote Vertu. If I am remembering correctly, the train empties the northbound passengers, then continues north beyond the station, does a cross-over, and comes backwards to the southbound platform. (I don't think it does a loop and continues always in a forward direction - like the SRT was supposed to do at Kennedy). In Toronto, I think the train does the cross-over before the station (i.e. Finch), pulls into the station and lets northbound passengers off and allows southbound passengers on, and then continues south.

What is the reason for these differences and is one method more efficient that the other? I would guess that Montreals is more efficient. Maybe Toronto never thought they would need such tight headways or they wanted to save money by having tail tracks only for storage and not longer ones for these movements as well.

Does Cote Vertu have an island platform or side platforms? I think the TTC setup is more efficient because it lets trains pull into whichever platform is empty, but maybe it doesn't actually make a huge difference

Montreal Terminal stations

[video=youtube;37lcpsawo6k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37lcpsawo6k&feature=related[/video]

Snowdon is the exception

[video=youtube;4Ck7KFQMry4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ck7KFQMry4&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Back