News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

Decals can cover changes to be made or after they were made. Decals were used on the speed limit and designation signs when they changed from miles to kilometers. I have seen a couple of very old speed limit signs still with the decals covering them.

I had decal numbers made up to stick on my garage door. Inexpensive.

$2.6B for an extension and you're trying to save 0.1% of by using stickers?

If we can't cleanup the little things how do we hope to ever start tackling the big problems?

I got a chance to stop at Bloor Yonge and check out the new signs. I have to say, I think the station looks a lot cleaner and consistent. The signs are very NYC-like but in my opinion I like Toronto's signs a lot better than NYC's. I really hope they keep using symbols beside their text (one of the exit signs on the Northbound platform of line 1 has the universal exit symbol but all the other exit signage around the station do not. Couldn't get a picture, sorry).

There were TTC employees around the station answering questions about the new signs. I asked them when the signage would be implemented in St George and the guy said by March 15.

I know there are many Torontonians thinking this is a waste of money or are simply afraid of change but honestly the system is so hard to navigate with the current signage. I really hope the general feedback for these signs are positive and this goes system wide as soon as possible.

Also, a bonus, the TTC employees were giving away free line badges! By the time I got there they ran out of 1's, 2's, and 4's so I settled for Line 3 (one I have only taken once in my life 11 years ago). They were also giving away badges for the currently nonexistent Line 5, 6, and 7.

Picture of the badge:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
So if/when the SRT is replaced with a BD extension, will "3" be retired to leave a gap in numbering, or will everything move down a number? (or I guess, it can be taken up by the DRL eventually)

While numbering is a good idea, I don't see the harm in keeping the actual names. In New York besides the call letters and numbers, they also have actual names attached (ie: Lexington Ave Express/Local).

E: Exactly - The NYC Subway former IRT routes that use the numbers and their designated colors are:
1-2-3 Seventh Avenue Line (red)
4-5-6 Lexington Avenue Line (green)
7 - Flushing Line (purple)

Thinking more on this subject: It would not surprise me if people begin referring to the TTC Subway lines as the
"#1 Train" or "#2 Train" once the color numbers become established and they begin to appear on the electronic
train destination signs as well and the TTC is again smart keeping their established names alongside the numbers...

LI MIKE

Each line has a colour and is referred to exclusively by its colour. 'Ligne Bleu', 'Ligne Orange', 'Ligne Vert', 'Ligne Jaune'.
I recall seeing enough signage referring to the Green Line as line 1, the Orange line as line 2, the Blue line as Line 5, and the Yellow line as Line 4. For a while, there were even maps with a Line 7 going down Pie-IX. So not exclusively.

Here's an example:

metrona.jpg

E: Exactly - The NYC Subway former IRT routes that use the numbers and their designated colors are:
1-2-3 Seventh Avenue Line (red)
4-5-6 Lexington Avenue Line (green)
7 - Flushing Line (purple)

Thinking more on this subject: It would not surprise me if people begin referring to the TTC Subway lines as the
"#1 Train" or "#2 Train" once the color numbers become established and they begin to appear on the electronic
train destination signs as well and the TTC is again smart keeping their established names alongside the numbers...

LI MIKE

Yeah, I can't explain it, but using "train" instead of "line" sounds better. Thinking of my time in NYC, you have the automated announcements saying stuff like, "Transfer here for the J train and M15 Select Bus," or, "a Manhattan bound Q train is approaching." Even Ottawa's LRT was inspired by this, hence the name the O-Train.

The letters referenced were just ones from the top of my head, so forgive me if they aren't accurate. But you get the idea.

I would love that. I know I'll be doing that but I hope it catches on with everyone else

Perhaps they can even change the colour of the seats, doors, and handle bars to match the colour the line it's serving.

I would love that. I know I'll be doing that but I hope it catches on with everyone else

Will the 1A train run from Finch to Sheppeard West and the 1 train run from Finch to Vaughan.
The 5A might run from Mount Dennis to Laird and 5 run from Mount Dennis to Kennedy.
People hate short turns, so this way they are warned well in advance.

I disagree. Neither Boston or LA differentiates between LRT or subway on their transit maps.

I don't think transit users care whether it's a 3rd rail vehicle or pantograph, they just want to know how to get where they need to go.

Agreed. Any attempt to indicate LRT vs. Subway on the map will serve nothing other than to confuse the average transit user. The system is complicated enough as it is - hence the motivation to simplify the signage.

Last edited:

Back