News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.6K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

Ramako, this does indeed look good!

But did anyone notice when the TTC released this new map that Bayview Station is missing on the Eglinton Line? Is there an express run now from Mount Pleasant to Laird that we didn't hear about?

;)

they aren't showing every station on the lines. there are only 5 stops on the entire Finch LRT.. I'm sure that will change on the final version.

There's also a difference between actual stations and stops in the street. And those stops probably won't be given unique names other than the streets those stops are at, so there could be duplication of the same street names on the map.

Agreed. Any attempt to indicate LRT vs. Subway on the map will serve nothing other than to confuse the average transit user. The system is complicated enough as it is - hence the motivation to simplify the signage.

I think there should be a thinner line for LRT, though, in at-grade sections like how Boston/Cleveland do it. Any underground or above ground sections should be subway thickness IMO.

I think there should be a thinner line for LRT, though, in at-grade sections like how Boston/Cleveland do it. Any underground or above ground sections should be subway thickness IMO.

In a perfect world this would make sense, especially given stop spacing in different sections of the LRT lines, but in Toronto I think that for political reasons all subway and LRT (proper LRT of course, not wishful thinking branding like Spadina) should be indistinguishable on the map. Anything less only reinforces the already-too-prevalent notion that LRT is second-class transit and subway is first-class. Similar to the idea that the names of the new LRT lines should be Eglinton (Crosstown) Line, Sheppard East Line, and Finch West Line - no constant reminder of a different standard than subway.

^Further to this I don't think it is a "cheat" either. Our transit system is already too fragmented to make sense. If you look at the transit ridership numbers and then separate every single mode of transit and create a different map for each you can't make any sense of our system. Take the streetcar system in the central city. It essentially doesn't exist in terms of any comprehensible map or interconnectivity with the "subway or rapid transit" map and yet it moves more people than subway lines in many cities.

A rapid transit map should be a tool to show users the fastest, easiest way to get to your destination in a way that's easy to understand. When the LRTs are done, it will be the easiest and best way to get to the areas they cover. Meaning, if your goal is to get from Yonge & Bloor to Eglinton & Bayview, what matters to you is that the map show you that you can take the Yonge line north to Eglinton, and the Eglinton line east to Bayview station. It doesn't really matter to you that the Eglinton line runs on a different technology, it's still the easiest way to get where you want to go. I mean common, the SRT is clearly not a subway and it's on the map already.

SRT isn't being converted anymore, its now a subway running on another alignment.

Spadina is 2016, Eglinton 2020, Finch and Sheppard 2021, and The scarborough subway (SRT replacement) is 2023.

Agreed. That's the standard that I've been using for all my maps, anyway.

As for showing stations on LRT lines, I like the way Boston does it as well. Full "stations" are named on the main map, while "stops" are simply shown as dots. This is especially true for the Green Line branches.

IMO, all stations should be shown as dots, but only those with an intersecting major bus route should be named on the map (ex: Jane Station on the FWLRT). This will in essence mean that all concession road stops will be named, because nearly all of them have bus routes. Minor, mid-block stops don't need to be named, because for most people all they care about is that there's a mid-block stop somewhere between Jane and Weston. If they want more detail, they can consult the FWLRT map.

Go ahead!

I'd actually like to add the applicable year to each slide and make the gif chronological. Can someone provide me with the estimated dates of completion for each of lines, including conversion of SRT?

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what do you use to produce your gifs? I've never done one before, but for maps where I want to show phasing, it may be a good way to go, so I want to give it a shot, haha.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to produce your gifs? I've never done one before, but for maps where I want to show phasing, it may be a good way to go, so I want to give it a shot, haha.

I used this website: http://www.gifmaker.me/

Here's the gif updated with dates by the way:

12935573694_ec94b32e39_o.gif

Perhaps I'll add the Scarborough extension and the DRL later, but that will take more work.

Back