News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 660     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

TTC: Redesigning TTC Signage

Looks good.

Here is something similar I made a few months ago, which includes the Scarborough Subway:

9v0IhE8.gif

I have to change some of the dates around. I'm going to move the ECLRT to 2020. The TTC seems to think that the ECLRT will open in 2022, but ML is saying 2020.

The Relief Line opening date may also be incorrect. Documents published (from the Golden Panel) after I made this map have the RL opening in 2023. Of course ML would have to approve the Panel's recommendations.

If everything goes according to plan, our RT network size will double in the next 9 years. :)

Last edited:
Perhaps the stations can be displayed as circles as it is, and the stops could be represented by dashes, with the whole street name.

Looks good.

Here is something similar I made a few months ago, which includes the Scarborough Subway:

9v0IhE8.gif

I have to change some of the dates around. I'm going to move the ECLRT to 2020. The TTC seems to think that the ECLRT will open in 2022, but ML is saying 2020.

The Relief Line opening date may also be incorrect. Documents published (from the Golden Panel) after I made this map have the RL opening in 2023. Of course ML would have to approve the Panel's recommendations.

If everything goes according to plan, our RT network size will double in the next 9 years. :)

Maps like this falsely equalizes surface LRT with rapid transit. If semi-separated transit should exist on our rapid transit maps too, then I would argue that St Clair and Spadina deserves to be on the map as well.

I would argue that St Clair and Spadina deserves to be on the map as well.

St. Clair and Spadina are different. They have closer stop spacing and lack signal priority. If the TTC were to upgrade those lines to Toronto's LRT standard then I'd put them on the Rapid Transit map.

Maps like this falsely equalizes surface LRT with rapid transit.

How? Does this really matter? Is anyone going to decide not to go somewhere because they'll have to use surface transit that [in the case of ECLRT] is 8 km/h slower than underground RT?

Separating at-grade LRT/RT and grade-separated LRT/RT really does nothing from a customer service POV and needlessly politicizes the RT map.

The speed on the LRTs will be pretty good yeah, especially compared to St Clair, Spadina, or any of the local buses or streetcars.

However, speed is just one factor. Frequency & reliability are just as important. People love subways because they run at 2-3 min frequencies peak, 5-7 min frequencies off peak, and much more reliably than local buses or streetcars. The LRTs should be similar.

The RT map should show transit lines with high level of service and decent speed. That includes LRT.

The speed on the LRTs will be pretty good yeah, especially compared to St Clair, Spadina, or any of the local buses or streetcars.

However, speed is just one factor. Frequency & reliability are just as important. People love subways because they run at 2-3 min frequencies peak, 5-7 min frequencies off peak, and much more reliably than local buses or streetcars. The LRTs should be similar.

The RT map should show transit lines with high level of service and decent speed. That includes LRT.

Bingo. I live near the 510 Spadina and University Subway. I often opt to take the 510 over the University Subway even though it's only half as fast because the streetcar is so perfectly reliable.

For me and many others who use the 510, the line is as RT worthy as any grade separated subway. Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard will be even better.

Bingo. I live near the 510 Spadina and University Subway. I often opt to take the 510 over the University Subway even though it's only half as fast because the streetcar is so perfectly reliable.

For me and many others who use the 510, the line is as RT worthy as any grade separated subway. Eglinton, Finch and Sheppard will be even better.

Yeah, I've had good experiences taking the 510. There seems to be a high level of service where you never have to wait very long. I don't take it regularly however.

I wouldn't mind 510 Spadina or St Clair being on the transit map, especially when they have the new vehicles, but there are likely too many stops to display every stop, and in this case I do agree it should be a thinner line since they are so local (such close stop spacing).

St. Clair and Spadina are different. They have closer stop spacing and lack signal priority. If the TTC were to upgrade those lines to Toronto's LRT standard then I'd put them on the Rapid Transit map.

How? Does this really matter? Is anyone going to decide not to go somewhere because they'll have to use surface transit that [in the case of ECLRT] is 8 km/h slower than underground RT?

Separating at-grade LRT/RT and grade-separated LRT/RT really does nothing from a customer service POV and needlessly politicizes the RT map.

If the LRT lines are to be like those in Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, etc. then I would agree. However their design is going to be closer to a European tramway, providing a medium performance service between standard buses and streetcars and subways. Despite it being rendered extinct within the next couple of years, the 196 York University Rocket has more merit to be up there, as it has its own lane for much of its route and has stops spaced similar to subways.

I'm not saying to leave the lines out, but I see no harm in clarifying the street ROW* portions with a thinner line. Even doing what Boston does with the Green Line could work.

*if we really want to troll Ford Nation, we could even do a skinny line for the subway along Allen Rd. :D

If the LRT lines are to be like those in Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, etc. then I would agree. However their design is going to be closer to a European tramway, providing a medium performance service between standard buses and streetcars and subways. Despite it being rendered extinct within the next couple of years, the 196 York University Rocket has more merit to be up there, as it has its own lane for much of its route and has stops spaced similar to subways.

I'm not saying to leave the lines out, but I see no harm in clarifying the street ROW* portions with a thinner line. Even doing what Boston does with the Green Line could work.

*if we really want to troll Ford Nation, we could even do a skinny line for the subway along Allen Rd. :D

Stop spacing on Eglinton is very similar to the Bloor subway. Anyways stop spacing on subways varies a lot, it can be 450-600m apart south of Bloor on YUS and on much of the Bloor line.

if I'm remembering correctly, south of Bloor the YUS actually has closer stop spacing than the ECLRT. And west of Vic Park the BD has approximately equal stop spacing to ECLRT.

Back