News   May 07, 2024
 296     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 303     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 304     0 

TTC: Pape Station Renovation

Are those new tiles matte finish? That would be a bad decision if true. With large matte tiles they may as well have gone with drywall and paint.

What does the surface finish have to do at all with the structural integrity of the wall? It is very easy to make drywall have a gloss finish with paint - but it wouldn't be nearly as good for an institutional purpose like this.

For the record, it seems to be more of an eggshell/semi-gloss.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What does the surface finish have to do at all with the structural integrity of the wall? It is very easy to make drywall have a gloss finish with paint - but it wouldn't be nearly as good for an institutional purpose like this.

For the record, it seems to be more of an eggshell/semi-gloss.

I wasn't talking about structural integrity. Let me restate that... painted concrete.

I wasn't talking about structural integrity. Let me restate that... painted concrete.

Okay, painting concrete - sure, it can be done. And just like everything else, it can be painted in a variety of finishes, from gloss to matte.

I still don't understand why you think that using the tiles was a waste, however. The material used has almost no bearing on the finish.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The material used has almost no bearing on the finish.

Really? One wonders why leaving things unfinished and slapping on paint isn't more popular.

My point is that the use of large tiles mounted flush gives the wall no texture unlike one foot tiles with visible grouting, and the lack of a gloss finish makes it look even worse. Of course, if as you say the material used has no bearing on the finish, maybe they are going to fix the whole look when they get around to the aesthetics (faux grout and gloss paint perhaps) because the finish looks like crap right now. A uniform untextured white wall with no gloss and a boring matte blue stripe with dark blocks of inset art all at the same height. Light doesn't play on the wall, the surroundings don't reflect on the wall, the wall is a void.

Really? One wonders why leaving things unfinished and slapping on paint isn't more popular.

My point is that the use of large tiles mounted flush gives the wall no texture unlike one foot tiles with visible grouting, and the lack of a gloss finish makes it look even worse.
The wall looks nothing, and feels nothing, like a painted concrete wall.

Is that really what you think when your standing in the station?

The station shutdown is scheduled for June 15 - 26.

The Toronto Transit Commission is continuing the modernization of the Pape subway station. In an effort to complete the work in a timely manner, Pape Station will be closed to TTC customers from Saturday, June 15 to Wednesday, June 26, re-opening at the start of service on June 27.

During the closure, subway trains will not stop at Pape Station. Buses that normally serve the station will divert to nearby stations as follows:
•72 Pape: buses will operate to Broadview Station via Danforth Ave. Buses will then travel north on Broadview Ave., east on Mortimer Ave., then south on Pape Ave and back to route.
•81 Thornciffe Park: buses will operate to and from Donlands Station, via Pape Ave. and Danforth Ave.
•25 Don Mills: buses will operate to and from Donlands Station, via Donlands Ave.

Customers who normally start their subway trip at Pape Station can board an 81 Thorncliffe Park bus across the street from the Pape Station entrance and ride to Donlands Station, or board a 72 Pape bus at the northwest corner of Danforth Avenue and Pape Ave., and ride to Broadview Station. Customers who normally end their trip at Pape Station can exit the train at Broadview Station and take a 72 Pape bus to Pape Ave., or exit at Donlands Station and take an 81 Thorncliffe Park bus to Pape Ave.

They really should have highlighted that for the vast majority of people without mobility issues, Donlands and Chester are a five minute walk - makes much more sense than waiting for a bus that may or may not show up.

http://ttc.ca/News/2013/May/0521_Pape_Station.jsp

I hope the closure goes off without a hitch and the TTC is able to get things more-or-less wrapped up. Construction seems to take forever at the stations (and I don't blame anyone, they have a limited time window and need to set-up/tear-down everything every single night), but if this works it would be a great model for getting things done a bit more efficiently. I think most people would tradeoff a short-term inconvenience like this in exchange for months of endless work

for examples of painted concrete walls, walk into your nearest high school.

as unimpressed as I am by this station, it's better than painted concrete walls

Oh sure, but when Montreal does it...

DSC_2862-M.jpg

DSC_2862-M.jpg

I'd take that over the bare concrete on the Sheppard walls.

As far as the ho hum reaction to the renovations thus far, I like what I see through the train window of my morning commute. The platform walls stand out with the clean and sharp tiles, while still respecting the design and order of the original B-D station designs.

Last edited:
I'd take that over the bare concrete on the Sheppard walls.

As far as the ho hum reaction to the renovations thus far, I like what I see through the train window of my morning commute. The platform walls stand out with the clean and sharp tiles, while still respecting the design and order of the original B-D station designs.

Putting paint on concrete walls might be considered to be graffiti by some members of city council.

Last edited:

DSC_2862-M.jpg

The painted concrete is a cheap detail, but one that accents and harmonizes with the rest of the station's impressive design. It wouldn't look as good on the Sheppard line stations because there it wouldn't be supported by the same quality of architecture evident at this station.

The walls at Verdun are textured concrete in a sloping motif with distinctive lighting. There are large volumes like the 2 storey platform hall with its massive concrete arches. Natural light reaches platform level, and there are open bridges across the platform. The entrance is a distinctive Modernist pavilion. It's another good example among the many in the Montreal Metro of what a modern subway station should look like.

They have almost 50% of the westbound platform ceiling paint blue when I was there on July 23rd. The old handrails have been replace with wood that has tape on it. Only the westbound platform have the old railing on the stair.
9346607493_e322078abb_b.jpg

9346614861_de11d13884_b.jpg

9349358142_22b07487c9_b.jpg

9349395212_2bd2f94e1f_b.jpg

9349362320_f2e90c261b_b.jpg

9349388128_d0a4336351_b.jpg

Back