News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

but in 10 years you need to buy additional trains as well, requiring a custom order for 4 car articulated trains instead of 6 car articulated trains. For $5 million you expand the platforms and run 6 car trains of which the order can be placed with the B-D T1 replacement order.

probably less than maintaining an additional 4 car train. An additional 4 car train probably isn't even realistic, where would you store it? Wilson? that's probably a 40 minute deadhead away, not really possible.

but in 10 years you need to buy additional trains as well, requiring a custom order for 4 car articulated trains instead of 6 car articulated trains. For $5 million you expand the platforms and run 6 car trains of which the order can be placed with the B-D T1 replacement order.

Toronto Rocket cars are shipped individually and trains are assembled on site with as many or as few middle cars as TTC likes. 4-car articulated trains would not be a special order, just a special configuration.

In addition to the platforms at Don Mills and Sheppard stations, the tail tracks west of Yonge (all 3 of 'em) are quite long and can hold up to four 6-car trains.

If Sheppard needed more than 6 trainsets, there is space at Davisville for a number of 4-car trains.

Last edited:
I spotted an ALRV at Spadina Station tonight at 10:14. These things very rarely run on the 510. In 10 years I've never seen one on the route. The only other photo I've seen online of an ALRV on the 510 Spadina when the TTC was experimenting with ALRVs on the route while the Queen Streetcar was under construction (hosted on Transit Toronto's website; posted below). I wonder why the TTC was running ALRVs tonight :cool:

streetcar-4108-06.jpg

GQajssY.jpg

(First image from Transit Toronto; second from myself)

Last edited:
Cool. I wish Queen & Osgoode and/or King & St Andrew had an underground streetcar connection like that.

Or at least a surface platform connection like which the Bloor streetcar used at the Yonge subway.
streetcar-4115-07.jpg

This rush hour two-car streetcar train is about the same length as one of the new low-floor streetcars coming into revenue service later this year.

Last edited:
I spotted an ALRV at Spadina Station tonight at 10:14. These things very rarely run on the 510. In 10 years I've never seen one on the route. The only other photo I've seen online of an ALRV on the 510 Spadina when the TTC was experimenting with ALRVs on the route while the Queen Streetcar was under construction (hosted on Transit Toronto's website; posted below). I wonder why the TTC was running ALRVs tonight :cool:

Not so much on Spadina (although it did happen as well), but for a couple of summers about 10 years ago they would put the As on Harbourfront for special events like The Indy and The Ex.

They've gone away from doing this as they discovered that they had to have a staffer on the platform to ensure that people waiting wouldn't get smacked by the tailswing as the cars left the loop. As well, they found that removing a disabled car was a nightmare for a bunch of different reasons.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Tail swing on the new streetcars is a lot less noticable correct? It always struck me as odd for how much tail swing is on the current streetcars, it essentially blocks the other lane when making a turn.

What a nice day yesterday was to waltz out into the middle of nowhere!

Coming along nicely.

Tail swing on the new streetcars is a lot less noticable correct? It always struck me as odd for how much tail swing is on the current streetcars, it essentially blocks the other lane when making a turn.

It's not the amount. It's the fact that the driver of an A can't see the tail end of the car in the station. There were a couple of close calls, and that's what led to the TTC stationing someone on the platform. The new cars will have cameras that let them see back there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Did people have fun ridding TTC on Sunday?

Islington Station was close to 15 minutes late opening and not the first time that has happen.

Ran into 2 20 minute gap going east while taking photos. Ran into a 30 minute gap at Simcoe with 7 cars following the first one. the First 3 were crush load with 2nd car short turning at Church, 3rd car at Parliament with my 4th car turning at Parliament also which was fine since I was getting off there in the first place. Cars going west were in better shape with cars turning at Dufferin.

Went to Catch a 501E at River St after doing photographing and waited 30 minutes for one after just missing 2 going east as a pair. Caught the same car going west that I was on going east with about a minute wait. 10 minute wait for a 29 at Dundas.

the 505 were on detour by Church & Bay due new switches machines being install by Victoria.

Was told Coxwell buses were running in pairs, considering there is only 4 on the route in the first place with 20 minute headway. Nice long wait.

Back