News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 554     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

The 22 and 70 operated as a single route a few years ago during construction at Coxwell station. The reasoning for the merge seems a little suspect as you could use that same argument to merge over 50% of all bus routes along the BD…

The 22 and 70 operated as a single route a few years ago during construction at Coxwell station. The reasoning for the merge seems a little suspect as you could use that same argument to merge over 50% of all bus routes along the BD…

I argued against the merger in my submission.

I expressed concern that lengthening both routes (by way of making them one) substantially would make them more susceptible to reliability issues, something both routes already suffer from to some degree.

I also noted that there may be at least some temporary confusion with having Coxwell 22 southbound at one platform, and Coxwell 22 northbound at another whereas the two distinct route names reduce this risk.

To the extent this change produced any benefit in terms of higher ridership, I noted that the bus platforms at Coxwell are unusually narrow and subject to severe congestion at times already.

Finally, I noted that I'm not sure there is a substantial upside, since both routes (directions) would still enter the station and likely have a layover as they do now, is there really that bit a time savings vs getting off one frequent bus route and onto another?

Seems like low potential return, and moderate to medium risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBR
Finally, I noted that I'm not sure there is a substantial upside, since both routes (directions) would still enter the station and likely have a layover as they do now, is there really that bit a time savings vs getting off one frequent bus route and onto another?
Having spent many years transferring between "frequent bus routes" with a linear transfer (95/96), there is certainly a big difference - because the service wasn't reliable at all often meaning long waits despite what was being advertised. In a lower traffic environment with shorter routes, it may not be as big of an issue.

Why do you drive 2x a month?
I drive every time it's more convenient to take a car than to walk/bike/transit. Usually works out to once a week at most. I only have a car because I used to work in the suburbs. Between insurance, maintenance, tire swaps and storage, etc. it costs me at least $50 for every time I take it out, probably more.

I'd sell it and rely on uber/lyft whenever I need a drive, but we have a kid in a car seat. Plus it's convenient for weekend trips.

I drive every time it's more convenient to take a car than to walk/bike/transit. Usually works out to once a week at most. I only have a car because I used to work in the suburbs. Between insurance, maintenance, tire swaps and storage, etc. it costs me at least $50 for every time I take it out, probably more.
I feel the same way at times. Were it not for aged parents in outer surburbia, and other family in rural Quebec, I'd ditch my car happily.

Still the claim that one frequently ends up spending $60 on Uber is just silly. I always use cabs, and that's a VERY long cab ride - and my understanding is that Uber is significantly cheaper.

And in my 20-years in Toronto, which have included many years of taking transit every day, I've only once ever given up on the TTC, and switched to car. (in this case I was, after 45-minutes, still a 15-minute walk from home, so I walked back and got my car).

Sure, there's been the occasional really excessively long trip. But some of the car trips have been just whacky too, taking half-an-hour to go one traffic light.

And yes, for some trips, transit doesn't work. Normally when carrying cargo of some time. In fact, I'm just jumping into the car, to drive to near the Zoo to pick up two cats that were being boarded. That wouldn't work well on transit. It would have been a great carshare trip though.

Still the claim that one frequently ends up spending $60 on Uber is just silly. I always use cabs, and that's a VERY long cab ride - and my understanding is that Uber is significantly cheaper.

Uber and Lyft WERE cheaper. Now they are almost as much (if not more) than an actual cab.

They are not that cheap anymore. Truthfully, the only real benefit to Uber, Lyft, etc is being able to call a car from your phone vs having to call a cab company.

Still the claim that one frequently ends up spending $60 on Uber is just silly.
It's easily $20 - $30 one way from North York into Downtown without any surge pricing.

We typically resort to renting a car if we think we'll be doing more than 3 Ubers in a day. Once we get a car again it will be well worth it for the access and convenience.

Uber and Lyft WERE cheaper. Now they are almost as much (if not more) than an actual cab.

They are not that cheap anymore. Truthfully, the only real benefit to Uber, Lyft, etc is being able to call a car from your phone vs having to call a cab company.

Well, that and the fact that they won't reject you for not going far enough, start driving without turning on the meter, etc. both of which happened to me the last (and it will be *the* last) time I took a taxi in Toronto.

You can call taxis with apps now.

Well, that and the fact that they won't reject you for not going far enough, start driving without turning on the meter, etc. both of which happened to me the last (and it will be *the* last) time I took a taxi in Toronto.

You can call taxis with apps now.
Small comfort and little help when that happens, but you can report the driver to 311 Toronto. I have. I always get the cab number.

But yes, Lyft/Uber is my usual ride these days.

I don't see the point then - I thought cheaper was the whole point. I've only telephoned for a cab a handful of times. Mostly I just walk out the door and wave my hand, or there's a taxi-stand. But normally I'm going home, not leaving.

Though for the odd trip from home, I've had excellent and quick response from Becks. Seems easier than trying to create an account, and click a lot on my phone.

Reactions: max
Beck taxi is all automated on the phone now. I call and then press "1" to confirm "I want to be picked up now" and then "1" again to confirm my address, which I don't even wait for the robot voice to read out. The call takes 15 seconds, tops.
It usually takes less than three minutes for the taxi to arrive, sometimes it's less than 60 seconds. It costs on average about $13 including tip to get to where I work. Worth it on miserable weather days or those where I'm running late and can't roll the dice on the TTC not being terrible.
I looked into Uber and it was offering to make me pay $30 for the same trip, and I would have to wait much longer.
I do use Uber when travelling, especially in an unfamiliar city or anywhere in the US it's extraordinarily useful, but here in Toronto I give it a hard pass.

Last edited:

Back