News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 812     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Are you really that daft?
I'm merely repeating the same sarcastic question someone else asked me a few pages back.
Another school of thought is to be pickier with what is and isn't saved, and focus on what is deemed "important" and put as many resources as possible into it.
And it sure seems like the Hawkers are consistently the only subway equipment to not be picked.
Except that you are contending that the historical community doesn't want to save the Hawkers. That's simply not true, and never has been.

You seem to be conflating the inability to do something with a hatred of it. It's a false equivalency.
Well, I can't count the number of times over the years whenever anyone brought up the idea of saving them, it would be met with dismissive comments that they're not worthy of it, or how the existing 2 saved cars are "good enough". In any case, if there's an inability to save a Hawker I'm calling shenanigans on the ability to save another subway, and vice versa.
Gee, I wonder if that may have something to do with the fact that the Hawkers are the only generation of subway cars to have been retired since 1999????????
I literally said this exact point before, and how it's too much to be a coincidence that the Hawkers were the only cars to retire during the time period when no one cared, and everyone suddenly started to care right after they were gone and the idea of replacing the next generation of cars came up on the horizon.
Seriously, at what point in those years did you expect the opportunity to say no to Gloucesters or T1s?
I still expect that opportunity to come up within the coming years. If there were no opportunity to save the Gs & Ms, and those weren't saved, and then in the 2010s the opportunity to save a subway car suddenly appeared, I bet dollars to donuts no one would do it anyway, because some people would be spectacularly offended by the idea of saving a Hawker without saving a G & M.

Last edited:
And it sure seems like the Hawkers are consistently the only subway equipment to not be picked.
Gee, I wonder if that may have something to do with the fact that the Hawkers are the only generation of subway cars to have been retired since 1999???????? Seriously, at what point in those years did you expect the opportunity to say no to Gloucesters or T1s?

only in UT do you get foamers vs foamers at such virility lol

honestly though looking at TTCs record of not keeping retired subway cars theres no reason to suggest they will do anything different in 5 years time when they start retiring.
besides at that point line 2 will be full ATC so im not sure if theres fiscal room to even convert a pair of cars to even run on the new signalling system. if anything, give it to HCRR to preserve a pair.

At first glance this seems like it just accounts for salaries. (Not inefficiencies, or the added cost of bringing contracted services in house)

Looking at the collective agreement some interesting provisions are there

Agreement to implement cross-boundary service integration on four routes, with the ability to reallocate service from those routes across the TTC.
The work of pre-service streetcar cleaning, currently performed by TBM ServiceGroup, will be brought back in house and performed by ATU, Local 113employees effective January 2025
The electrical work on escalators, currently performed by the contractor CEEElevator Service LTD., will be brought back in house and performed by ATU,Local 113 employees commencing January 2025
Going to look out in the next little while if streetcars are cleaner and there are less escalator outages

Not related to the bargaining over cleaning, but I have noticed that the cleanliness level in stations has improved dramatically over the last year. They seem to be doing much more regular cleaning (even deep cleaning), garbage removal, litter collection, etc.

It's quite a big increase in spending. Let's see what fare hikes, service cuts and property increase are going to be made to offset this extra cost.

It's quite a big increase in spending. Let's see what fare hikes, service cuts and property increase are going to be made to offset this extra cost.
Keep in mind opening the cross town will add 10s of millions to the operating costs as well

1722283042479.png

Talking to a TTC momager for Kipling Tunnel work that shoddy workmanship regarding the membrane for waterproofing fell apart after 7 years in place of 25+ is the reason for digging the tunnel up. It is supposed to be completed by December and what year. Other than digging the top off from where the work been the last year to the station entrance, nothing else been done since then. Did some shooting this time.

If it this bad for TTC tunnel, what is it like for the rest of the tunnel that was done at the same time, unless TTC had someone doing their own tunnel and EllisDon using someone else.

TTC needs to do something with their PA system as you can very rare understand what been said to the point I herd something about Line 1 and shuttle buses at Yonge Station while walking to get a 2 train.

Was surprised a youngers in the rail fan seat with his mother as the trap wasn't cross the driver area and can't recall when I last saw this.

Talking to a TTC momager for Kipling Tunnel work that shoddy workmanship regarding the membrane for waterproofing fell apart after 7 years in place of 25+ is the reason for digging the tunnel up. It is supposed to be completed by December and what year. Other than digging the top off from where the work been the last year to the station entrance, nothing else been done since then. Did some shooting this time.

If it this bad for TTC tunnel, what is it like for the rest of the tunnel that was done at the same time, unless TTC had someone doing their own tunnel and EllisDon using someone else.

TTC needs to do something with their PA system as you can very rare understand what been said to the point I herd something about Line 1 and shuttle buses at Yonge Station while walking to get a 2 train.

Was surprised a youngers in the rail fan seat with his mother as the trap wasn't cross the driver area and can't recall when I last saw this.
I noticed the chime is broken at some stations I guess they are doing some work on them, it had the metrolynx chime for a bit

I noticed the chime is broken at some stations I guess they are doing some work on them, it had the metrolynx chime for a bit
What chimes are you taking about??

Saw this on the ttc Reddit sub. It's pretty neat for a beta

Yes it is.

Without an app however it is somewhat pointless though.

If I want to know where my next bus is I'll pull up Citymapper not go look at Nextbus online

If this new data isn't integrated with the multitude of other transit apps this will be an epic fail.

Before anyone says that transit systems don't have apps or that there are plenty of other apps it's worth noting that TFL has their own app TFL go. They also have Citymapper among other apps.

Yes it is.

Without an app however it is somewhat pointless though.

If I want to know where my next bus is I'll pull up Citymapper not go look at Nextbus online

If this new data isn't integrated with the multitude of other transit apps this will be an epic fail.

Before anyone says that transit systems don't have apps or that there are plenty of other apps it's worth noting that TFL has their own app TFL go. They also have Citymapper among other apps.
Are any apps pulling live vehicle locations at the moment ?

I use moovit on android and the live locations don't work anymore. They used to so I'm assuming the connection broke at some point.

Back