News   Jul 23, 2024
 360     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 431     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.8K     3 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

and since nfitz doubts every thing I say, here’s proof the streetcar fare evasion is nearly 50% at times
I guess about 40% is the new 50%.

If you do an average per rider over the day, that's going to vanish, given the very low ridership at that time. It's certainly not the low-hanging fruit!

And quite frankly, that stat looked odd when I saw it published. I do ride the streetcar at such times. And I see/hear lots of tapping when I pay attention.

What do you observe when you ride the streetcar at those times?

I guess about 40% is the new 50%.

If you do an average per rider over the day, that's going to vanish, given the very low ridership at that time. It's certainly not the low-hanging fruit!

And quite frankly, that stat looked odd when I saw it published. I do ride the streetcar at such times. And I see/hear lots of tapping when I pay attention.

What do you observe when you ride the streetcar at those times?
If we’re nitpicking single digit percentage points…

My experience was about 40 percent of people don’t tap on, but I ride the 509 and there isn’t really any traffic to connect from, so there is a good chance they didn’t pay at all.

If it was somewhere like Chinatown you could assume they had been on the 505 etc and already paid but just not tapped on again.

Looking at the crash gates the evasion rate is close to half again. It seems lack of supervision is the issue. I think even having inspectors one day a week would be a huge deterrent to gambling evasion

IMG_0142.jpeg

If we’re nitpicking single digit percentage points…

My experience was about 40 percent of people don’t tap on, but I ride the 509 and there isn’t really any traffic to connect from, so there is a good chance they didn’t pay at all.

If it was somewhere like Chinatown you could assume they had been on the 505 etc and already paid but just not tapped on again.

Looking at the crash gates the evasion rate is close to half again. It seems lack of supervision is the issue. I think even having inspectors one day a week would be a huge deterrent to gambling evasion

View attachment 582954
Is that a TTC source! Or someone watching?

View attachment 582954
If you look at those entering from the bus bay, then it's 100% fare evasion.

I think that all this tells you, that if you are going to evade fares, it's the crash gates you are likely to do it. The total station fare evasion rate is only 6.3%.

The big issue here isn't unattended entrances - it's that regular staff and operators are going to do nothing about this - rarely perhaps making a sarcastic comment. This isn't true on other systems.

Tossing turns of enforcement onto the system isn't the answer (though more does seem necessary on streetcars). Changing the employee descriptions and responsibilities would do a lot.

Back