News   Jul 19, 2024
 938     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.2K     4 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Why wouldn't you just lower the platform if the ceiling was too short to raise the train?

At Kensal Green in London, the platforms were intended for mainline rail services which (to a certain extent) still use the station.

Most of the older stations here date back to the late 1800s or early 1900s when lower floor subways didn't exist

July 19
Had a look at the work at Kipling which I do every few weeks since not much is happen there since day one and there was a partly backfill a section of the north end for the tunnel that was waterproof the last time. The rest is still in the same condition waiting waterproofing or what. TTC has now close the access to the main entrance with marking on the sidewalk as well fence off. You have to use the Kiss and Rider entrance to the subway and buses.

Been on a number of T1's in the past like the one today that had similar issues with the doors at various stations that required the guard to open and close the doors from 1-5 times before we move. Did not happen at every stations.

2 and maybe more T1's sitting in Vincent yard and not the first time.

Someone who hates an contractor that does TTC work and other city project will be happy to know, they will finish all of King St W rebuilt by the end of the month. The only thing that needs to be done is is pouring the topcoat for the eastbound track for the underpass and wait for TTC to install and splice the rail for the westbound and that is it for the trackwork as everything in place. A few sections of the road needs concrete and then the 3 foot section that has been mill on both sides of the new track can be pave. The city need to look a fully repaving the road as some areas are in real rough shape.

Looking at the rail to be place for the westbound track, there too much rail sitting there and where does TTC plan on using those long sections of rail??

I can see a single lane open to traffic in August, but the tracks close so TTC can finished installing the new overhead that they have started, but also Dufferin Intersection that is having the new one built on top of the existing one. Did not look at Shaw Intersection Before TTC can resume service on King St, they will have to do testing of the new overhead as well trackwork and could be open ahead of schedule. The sign said end of September when the road will open. Traffic can go eastbound as far as Jefferson Av past Dufferin St today.

Anyone waiting for an Ossington bus have a long wait as it was bumper to bumper from Strachan to Dufferin both way on East Liberty St with a car moving one spot every so often depending on left turners or drivers cutting in from various driveways.

Queen westbound was a little better that I counted 9 streetcars that I could see at Gladstone and expecting more were behind them. Eastbound was moving a lot better for some reason. Some of the delay for westbound was left tuns at Dufferin

I thought the T1s - barring the seat issue - also aged quite well; remember the ceiling of the H6s having drillholes for AC (or whatever it is) repairs?

Yup! Round pieces of melamine or whatever it is covering the holes.

AoD
I think those holes were created when the center stanchions were removed from the H6 and H5 cars. I can't recall if any of the older Hawkers had them removed as well around that time.

This was a recommendation to the TTC after Russell Hill in 1995. Emergency services had a heck of a time getting stretchers and injured people through the cars.

I think those holes were created when the center stanchions were removed from the H6 and H5 cars. I can't recall if any of the older Hawkers had them removed as well around that time.

This was a recommendation to the TTC after Russell Hill in 1995. Emergency services had a heck of a time getting stretchers and injured people through the cars.
I am not aware of any H6s ever having their center stanchions removed. Not even all of the H5s were done - to my knowledge, it was limited to a handful of cars, including 5755, 5784-87, 5799, and the T1 prototype 5796. If you go onto Flickr and type in "Hawker-Siddeley H5 interior", you will see photos of many cars from the last few years of service still with the center stanchions.

And here is 5707, the last surviving car, taken in 2022:)

1721476402303.jpeg

I like these interiors a lot better than the sterile, waiting room grey of the T1s. It's a shame the TTC didn't wake up and start caring about their history until long after these were nixed.

I am not aware of any H6s ever having their center stanchions removed. Not even all of the H5s were done - to my knowledge, it was limited to a handful of cars, including 5755, 5784-87, 5799, and the T1 prototype 5796. If you go onto Flickr and type in "Hawker-Siddeley H5 interior", you will see photos of many cars from the last few years of service still with the center stanchions.

View attachment 581925

I like these interiors a lot better than the sterile, waiting room grey of the T1s. It's a shame the TTC didn't wake up and start caring about their history until long after these were nixed.

And you can definitely see what I am referring to in that photo.

AoD

Reactions: T3G

Yet plenty of brand new modern trains around the world still have center poles, like this one in Warsaw (and right infront of the doorways no less). In fact, it was the older 81-717s that lacked center poles before the newer trains came in with them. But the Hawkers are to blame here, got it.
5707 better outlive us all:)
I like these interiors a lot better than the sterile, waiting room grey of the T1s.
Spot on, that design change always felt so backwards and such a downgrade.
It's a shame the TTC didn't wake up and start caring about their history until long after these were nixed.
I think we all know exactly why that is, in fact they always cared about their history EXCEPT while those were being nixed, whether it was around 2000 or the 2010s🤬 So now there's no point of them ever waking up at all because there's no more history left to speak of, and never will be again.

Last edited:
Europe subway cars not only had a centre pole, but 4 short gab bar on the in the middle section that really cut down aisle space
8255014899_04733b6cd4_b.jpg

Some systems had next to no seats from the door to the driver compartment as it was for standing and accessibility riders with nothing to hold onto
8255008475_c4dd0781cb_b.jpg

So now there's no point of them ever waking up at all because there's no more history left to speak of, and never will be again.
The TTC was not discontinued when those cars were retired. As long as time moves on, and the TTC keeps running, history will keep being created. Not saving anything else is spiteful and does the generations that follow us a disservice.

The TTC was not discontinued when those cars were retired. As long as time moves on, and the TTC keeps running, history will keep being created. Not saving anything else is spiteful and does the generations that follow us a disservice.
I couldn't care less if it's spiteful, it's the only fair thing to do now, there is NOTHING more spiteful and more of a disservice than turning around and saving everything else that came afterwards, none of which is in ANY way more special and worthy of saving than those cars that weren't saved. It's almost like the TTC might as well have been discontinued.

You know, you keep saying this (as well as "long live the T1s"), and then you have the nerve to tell me I'm writing "fictions" when I say that you and the ttc are trying to have everything else saved except those cars. I challenge you to look me in the eye and tell me again that this is all "fiction" and a "baseless conspiracy" and that there was never a personal vendetta against the Hawkers despite there being plenty enough evidence to the contrary.

Last edited:
Dude, you are literally responding to a post in which I wrote that it's a shame the cars didn't get saved. I can't even reminisce without you jumping me with your baseless conspiracy theories.

There is no conspiracy against the Hawkers. For much of the last 30 years, the TTC hasn't given a shit about their history. That's all there is to it. The Hawkers are hardly the only equipment that didn't get saved. Any assertions that single our the Hawkers (or accuse me of being against their preservation) are fictions and are getting really tiresome to read.

Last edited:
It was just another subway car…. Till it wasn’t now. There’s nothing unique with them when they retired. We would love to ride the G-1s and have a blast in the past (not in the scorching summer of course). The cost of keeping them alive is unaffordable.

Dude, you are literally responding to a post in which I wrote that it's a shame the cars didn't get saved.
Well, advocating that they save everything else (least of all the very things that replaced them and sent them to scrap) is not gonna right that wrong, is it? Quite the opposite actually. Any future generations for whom it would be a "disservice" to not save anything that came later would just have to deal with it the same way those who want to see the Hawkers saved are forced to deal with it.
For much of the last 30 years, the TTC hasn't given a shit about their history.
And of course, the Hawkers were the only subway cars to retire during that time period when they didn't give a shit. What a remarkable coincidence.:mad:
The Hawkers are hardly the only equipment that didn't get saved.
They WERE the only SUBWAY equipment that didn't get saved though, any other equipment would be buses and that's a different conversation, not to mention that they're almost certainly survived by identical buses across the continent, since a D40 / Orion V / LFS / etc is what it is no matter what transit agency operates it. Not the case with the Hawkers, which are unique everywhere except maybe Ankara (and the fate of those is still largely unknown).
There’s nothing unique with them when they retired.
Sounds like something the general public would say who can't tell different trains apart. They most certainly were unique in ways no other cars were that came before or after them.
The cost of keeping them alive is unaffordable.
You're right, so why the hell are they wasting money keeping a whole 9 SRT cars and countless trams then?
It was just another subway car…. Till it wasn’t now.
Boy I sure hope to one day say the same about the current fleet.

Last edited:

Back