News   Jul 17, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 874     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Here's a translation from Federal Government to English.

Federal government to announce and cancel the Canada Public Transit Fund

From: No Housing, Deferred Infrastructure, and Sprawl Canada

Background

Since 2015, the Government of Canada has invested over $30 billion in more than 2,000 projects across the country, supporting a variety of construction sites, from new underground construction in Canada’s biggest cities such as the Millenium [sic] Broadway Subway Extension project in Vancouver, to construction lines in major cities such as the Finch West construction line project in Toronto, and to new transit solutions in rural communities. Funding was delivered through a variety of paperwork creating programs, continuing the Canadian policy tradition.

The Government of Canada’s commitment to strengthening paperwork, paint, and construction sites across the country is stronger than ever. Today’s announcement provides detailed information on how the new Canada Public Transit Fund will be cancelled by the inevitable Poilievre government.

The new, cancellable Canada Public Transit Fund

The new Canada Public Transit Fund (CPTF) will transform the delivery of federal funding for transit by allowing Poilievre to cancel all transit funding with one program cancellation, showing our commitment to what Paige Saunders called our "lurching, majoritarian governments."

With the launch of the new CPTF, all orders of government, and transit authorities will work together to cancel transit funding, thus ensuring higher costs for transit in the future. This approach will better respond to the needs of pickup trucks of large sizes across Canada by providing stable and predictable federal funding for projects, which is to say, not at all.

Harming Canadians

The CPTF program disables access to modern and efficient public transit infrastructure.
The upcoming cancellation of the new Canada Public Transit Fund aims to:
  • dash hopes that we can enhance capacity to meet demand for better transit services, especially in growing regions
  • dash hopes that we can reduce car dependency by increasing the use of public transit and active transportation
  • dash hopes that we can contribute to climate change mitigation and increased resilience; and
  • dash hopes that we can support economic growth and improving transportation options for equity-deserving groups

Details on the cancellation of the new Canada Public Transit Fund

The CPTF cancels longer-term transit needs and leverages the fighting between partners to cancel federal funding. With no new and cancelled existing programs, funds will not be delivered.

With the upcoming election of Pierre Poilievre, it's inevitable that we'll be voted out of office. Thus, we can promise everything from daycare to increased military spending, and know that we won't deliver. (/bleh) Thus, presenting the CPTF, which will begin spending money in two years.

Wait, isn't spending money everywhere our specialty?

Minister for No Housing, Deferred Infrastructure, and Sprawl Canada
- The Somewhat Honourable Sean Fraser

Honest Thoughts
What's even the point? Maybe PP'll be Doug Ford, but I'm not holding my breath, and I can see a cancellation of the CPTF before it ever provides any funding. Right now we're headed towards dashed hopes and lost opportunities. /sigh
transit by allowing Poilievre to cancel all transit funding with one program cancellation

Yes but then at least he has to take the heat for doing this

transit by allowing Poilievre to cancel all transit funding with one program cancellation

Yes but then at least he has to take the heat for doing this

Indeed. And a some of that heat will come from allies like Ford and Smith; both have non-trivial underfunded transit ambitions at the study stage (Sheppard subway, and an Edmonton/Calgary route). If not publicly, then they'll be pissed in private meetings.

The program name could be changed and some of the terms expanded to allow things like bridge replacement in small towns rather than just public transit in larger centers, but the funds will largely stay intact.

Last edited:
This was the announcement;

So they are just talking about it now. This is an announcement for future announcements. "No $$$ yet - Vote us Liberals back in, and we promise we'll make some future announcements!"

So they are just talking about it now. This is an announcement for future announcements. "No $$$ yet - Vote us Liberals back in, and we promise we'll make some future announcements!"

They have said they are opening applications for the funds immediately.

But there's no (public) timeline on when any agreements flowing money/project approvals will be made. (or none that I've seen thus far)

But there's no (public) timeline on when any agreements flowing money/project approvals will be made. (or none that I've seen thus far)
The Mayor of Toronto, Premier Ford and the outgoing TTC have been begging for months.

The decision not to refurbish the T1s several years ago is looking increasingly foolish with every passing day.

I love it when public officials engage in brinkmanship.

I believe 2026 is the earliest that any funding will start flowing out the door. The Feds can approve on whatever timeline they want, but the money wont flow for at least 2 years. Par is the course with this government delaying cash flows for basically everything.

Back