News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 636     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Would love to see the seething and rage from these guys if the order doesn't end up going through.
Blog TO does have useful info but it is always best to check it! They do now have a button for "Corrections". I have sent in a couple - with evidence - but nothing is actually corrected!

The BlogTO article also mentions that the new trains are likely to be an order of BBD/now Alstom TRs, as opposed to another model.

"While not explicitly mentioned in Monday's announcement, it is almost certain that the new trains will be a new order of the Toronto Rocket trains already serving Line 1. Earlier this year, the TTC halted a process seeking proponents to submit bids for the next generation of subway trains."

I don't see this in the text of the Ontario press release re: The New Deal, but maybe I missed something.

Personally, I hope line 2 gets a better upgrade than the TR.

The BlogTO article also mentions that the new trains are likely to be an order of BBD/now Alstom TRs, as opposed to another model.

"While not explicitly mentioned in Monday's announcement, it is almost certain that the new trains will be a new order of the Toronto Rocket trains already serving Line 1. Earlier this year, the TTC halted a process seeking proponents to submit bids for the next generation of subway trains."

I don't see this in the text of the Ontario press release re: The New Deal, but maybe I missed something.

The BlogTO article is incorrect. :rolleyes:

The new trains will be maintained at Greenwood, which can only do repairs on units in 2-car increments.

Unless there is funding to completely overhaul Greenwood first; the new trains will have to be breakable into 'pairs'.

So these will not be identical. '

I believe the intent is to allow for a full-train length gangways, however, not withstanding the modified design.

Would love to see the seething and rage from these guys if the order doesn't end up going through.
Right back at you if it does 😉

Has the original order of 80 trains been reduced to 70 for the sake of reducing total cost to make funding easier, or are additional trains still on the table as option orders? The original plan included not only a  base order of 80 trains, but also an option order of an additional 32. Ofc, it'll be a good start to at least fund the bare minimum (55 + 15 for extension(s))

• Haha
Reactions: T3G
The BlogTO article is incorrect. :rolleyes:

The new trains will be maintained at Greenwood, which can only do repairs on units in 2-car increments.

Unless there is funding to completely overhaul Greenwood first; the new trains will have to be breakable into 'pairs'.

So these will not be identical. '

I believe the intent is to allow for a full-train length gangways, however, not withstanding the modified design.
Haha not surprised that BlogTO is incorrect on that. I have a feeling they think all new subway trains are called "Toronto Rockets".

The Toronto Rocket subway cars have been in service since July 21, 2011. I would expect that "upgrades" since 2011 would be included in the new "version".

Upgrades... smaller electronics, more efficient motors, better batteries, better wayfinding, etc.

Version... same product if we go with the same manufacturing factory (Bombardier is now part of Alstom), but with a decade and more of fixes.

cd2d23df-cd5c-4152-96ae-d8077d48b9f6_text.gif

Back