News   May 14, 2024
 53     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 906     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Every time a transit stop is scheduled to be removed, the local councilor generally puts in an objection. One of the downsides of not having councilors at-large.

I don't know if that would make a huge difference.

I think the problem more lies in an argument over one stop at a time without the associated discussion of the travel time benefit to the same riders, when 3,4 or more stops are removed on a route; especially if extraneous traffic lights can be removed as well.

We also simply need to remove any suggestion of a Councillor veto over this. I don't have a problem with a Councillor being 'consulted', but I think overruling a professional decision like this should require a motion at Council, and a majority vote; with the clear implication that this rarely, if ever, belongs before Council.

Last edited:
I don't know if that would make a huge difference.

I think the problem more lies in an argument over one stop at a time without the associated discussion of the travel time benefit to the same riders, when 3,4 or more stops are removed on a route; especially if extraneous traffic lights can be removed as well.

We also simply need to remove any suggestion of a Councillor veto over this. I don't have a problem with a Councillor being 'consulted', but I think overruling a professional decision like this should require a motion at Council, and a majority vote; with the clear implication that this rarely, if ever, belongs before Council.
Honestly every month I drive around I see new lights being added

If there were no traffic lights along the Harbourfront and Spadina lines, maybe they'd actually do some speed...
I took the service on a weekend night, there were 3 vehicles running the 509 and it was FORTY min wait during a 15 min frequency time, because the first would take a break at exhibition and the rest would be stuck behind.

I took the service on a weekend night, there were 3 vehicles running the 509 and it was FORTY min wait during a 15 min frequency time, because the first would take a break at exhibition and the rest would be stuck behind.
Something is off about this. The only time the 509 is scheduled with 15 minute frequency is Sunday mornings. Even late in the evening on Sunday, cars are supposed to come every 10 minutes.

How long was the break? Because the schedules call for 9-10 minutes of terminal time on weekend nights for each car. And at that time of night, there isn't much traffic that should cause substantial delays. That would have to be a huge break to block every other car on the line. You sure there wasn't some kind of emergency (medical or bathroom) at Exhibition that caused the rest of the cars to pile up behind the leader?

Took these images just now from the bridge over Ellesmere Station

20231125_095602.jpg
20231125_095549.jpg

I still think the subway extension was a bad idea, but making lemonade out of lemons, I will say that now there will be so much space for activities for GO. You could basically quad track from Kennedy to Ellesemere
The question would be whether there is enough space between Kennedy and the next pinch point (Highland Creek?) to have a queue-jump track or tracks. My thought is that they might be thinking about daytime train storage

Back