News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

No sure if TTC has done an Whoops or someone for got to do checking of the tunnel box when it was exposed during the construction of the Kipling Hub or someone botched the work that goes to the north parking lot at Kipling.

All 3 sides of the box was exposed during the construction with some work on it before being waterproof and cover up. Close to the past 3 months or so, the top has been removed for the part of the tunnel with next to no work on it. Crews been working on it this past few weeks to the point parts have seen concrete removed to get at the rebar as well a lots of orange marking on it where work has to be done. The tunnel is now block off compared to been open.

Work was started on the driveway the same time as the tunnel before moving to the bus platform with no work until a few weeks ago. The west end platform in the process of been jackhammer to get to the rebar and then rebuilt.

No photos for the platform.

Oct 28 and have some shots from today still to be work on
53299525990_e329e9af3d_b.jpg

53299303478_fdac90a0b7_b.jpg

53298187402_49fae76695_b.jpg

TTC was supposed to install it's new wayfinding measures at Dundas, it has mostly not done so https://x.com/RM_Transit/status/1719115568954171706?s=20

I'll concur that I don't expect the above to make a material difference.

But I'm a bit unclear on what 'enhanced wayfinding' would make a difference here?

This is a fairly small station It has only 2 platforms, each visible from the other and from the opposite mezzanine. It has only one stair/escalator (vertical circulation point) in each mezzanine; there's only one under platform tunnel; and I think the existing signage is reasonably clear.

The suggestion, I thought, was that they could marginally improve flow, by reducing conflicting movements at the gates, by making some/all entry or exit only, in which case they come with a clear red 'x' for 'uh uh' and and green arrow for 'uh huh'.

If that helps any, great, but I don't know about calling it 'enhanced' way finding. It also strikes me a poor substitute for addressing the real issue which is that station passenger volumes exceed design capacity, particularly in the mezzanines, but also in the vertical circulation off the SB platform. (lack of down escalator)

Enlarging the mezzanine on the NB side could be done by repatriating space from the Green P garage, and/or a strata expropriation/purchase from 10 Dundas E.

The SB Mezzanine is somewhat more problematic as its constrained by the bank on the N/W corner, and taking space from TEC would be involve some $$$

The new northerly exits off the platform will probably help some; I think there may be a case to be made for additional direct exits to street off the South ends of the platforms as well.

It’s a “TTC painted “ owned by NFI. It’s even worst when people driving by would think the bus is drunk or TTC employees took it for a getaway.

This could go in several threads but I'll put it here.

1699303443868.png

I'll concur that I don't expect the above to make a material difference.

But I'm a bit unclear on what 'enhanced wayfinding' would make a difference here?

This is a fairly small station It has only 2 platforms, each visible from the other and from the opposite mezzanine. It has only one stair/escalator (vertical circulation point) in each mezzanine; there's only one under platform tunnel; and I think the existing signage is reasonably clear.

The suggestion, I thought, was that they could marginally improve flow, by reducing conflicting movements at the gates, by making some/all entry or exit only, in which case they come with a clear red 'x' for 'uh uh' and and green arrow for 'uh huh'.

If that helps any, great, but I don't know about calling it 'enhanced' way finding. It also strikes me a poor substitute for addressing the real issue which is that station passenger volumes exceed design capacity, particularly in the mezzanines, but also in the vertical circulation off the SB platform. (lack of down escalator)

Enlarging the mezzanine on the NB side could be done by repatriating space from the Green P garage, and/or a strata expropriation/purchase from 10 Dundas E.

The SB Mezzanine is somewhat more problematic as its constrained by the bank on the N/W corner, and taking space from TEC would be involve some $$$

The new northerly exits off the platform will probably help some; I think there may be a case to be made for additional direct exits to street off the South ends of the platforms as well.

I mean it's just a case of not using the gates in a reasonable way that definitely worsens flow. Obviously expansion is generally also needed.

Using the gates the way they are intended shouldn't require a pilot (and we are still not doing it right)

I mean it's just a case of not using the gates in a reasonable way that definitely worsens flow. Obviously expansion is generally also needed.

Using the gates the way they are intended shouldn't require a pilot (and we are still not doing it right)
If there's enough gates, it would make sense to use them as one-way.

But on a platform like Dundas, there's a rush of people coming out when a train arrives. At that point there's no rush to enter, as the next train will be in a bit. And then a period of time when everyone is entering.

Reducing entry and exit capacity by make some one-way would only serve to back up passengers at the entrance and platforms even more.

Perhaps a clear next train in X minutes at the entrance, would stop many from trying to enter for a minute or two. Or making all gates exit only once the doors to the train have opened.

Perhaps a clear next train in X minutes at the entrance, would stop many from trying to enter for a minute or two. Or making all gates exit only once the doors to the train have opened.
At Dundas, you can see the train with its doors open if you're standing right outside the gates. If you couldn't go through the gates to rush the doors, there'd be a riot.

Should have "Next Train" screens overhead ALL fare gates at ALL stations. Should show the next THREE trains arriving. Of course, if there is a train already at Dundas Station, and the next one is 10 minutes away, everyone will rush.

Should have "Next Bus or Streetcar" screens at ALL exit gates at ALL stations. Should show the next TWO buses or streetcars arriving. Unfortunately, because the TTC needs the revenue, there will be advertisements crowded out the information we actually want.

(Except there are no funds available.)

Last edited:
The worst aspect of Dundas station is that there's no way to get from one platform to the other without exiting & re-entering the fare-paid area, if I recall correctly (haven't been to that station in a while, but when I have, it always seemed to be the case). The same design flaw exists in many NYC stations too.

The worst aspect of Dundas station is that there's no way to get from one platform to the other without exiting & re-entering the fare-paid area, if I recall correctly (haven't been to that station in a while, but when I have, it always seemed to be the case). The same design flaw exists in many NYC stations too.
Plans for a Dundas Station north entrance at Gould Street fell through. It could have had crossover access to both sides.

Back