News   May 09, 2024
 807     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 543     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Andy Byford said he wasn't on a contract during his time there. 6:15

Andy was offered a contract.

He refused.

He said he wanted to be like any other TTC employee, held to account. (this also gave him flexibility to leave on relatively short notice)

How can it possibly take 2 years to replace an escalator?
1698701489101.png

Starting as early as October 31, 2023 – mid 2025*
What we are doing and why:
As part of TTC’s Escalator Modernization project, the existing escalator located on the northbound platform going up to the concourse level must be completely replaced with a new escalator. The modernization work includes major improvements to the wall finishes, ceiling and lights.
What to expect:
 Protective hoarding will be in place to ensure public safety by separating the work zone from the public during demolition of the existing escalator and installation of a new one.
 Work will take place behind the protective hoarding.
 The other escalators from platform level to concourse level will remain in service.
 Customers who require the assistance of an escalator/elevator on Line 1 may travel to Queen station.

View attachment 516648

Starting as early as October 31, 2023 – mid 2025*
What we are doing and why:
As part of TTC’s Escalator Modernization project, the existing escalator located on the northbound platform going up to the concourse level must be completely replaced with a new escalator. The modernization work includes major improvements to the wall finishes, ceiling and lights.
What to expect:
 Protective hoarding will be in place to ensure public safety by separating the work zone from the public during demolition of the existing escalator and installation of a new one.
 Work will take place behind the protective hoarding.
 The other escalators from platform level to concourse level will remain in service.
 Customers who require the assistance of an escalator/elevator on Line 1 may travel to Queen station.

This seems more intensive than an escalator rebuild. They are also redoing lights and wall finishes.

It is excessive but perhaps they are padding the timeline just incase?

Good question!

I would argue, even with the proposed add-ons (new lights wall and ceiling finishes) that even a year is generous.

However, I will allow the King Station Concourse expansion project may be about to begin; and I'm not sure if there's any overlap here. If they are enlarging the station box or public-facing portion thereof, that may (or may not) explain it.

If people thought Bloor/Yonge was bad, King Station is going to be borderline hazardous to use during the morning/afternoon rush with an entry/exit point out of commission.

Not wrong; but I have to laugh, because of the idea that anyone thinks Bloor-Yonge is 'bad' yet. Just wait.

It probably doesn't. The entire King Station Easier Access program is expected to complete in mid 2025.

I'm pretty sure this escalator work is part of that tender package.

EDIT: As a bonus, there is a potential Capacity Enhancement package for King (engineering recently started: Feb 2023) with construction from 2025 through 2029.

Last edited:
So..

A homeless person passed out in car 5248 tonight. He puked all over himself and the train car.

I reported it to the guard who attended. Next thing I know service was suspended between Ossington and St George.

My guess is he was in medical distress because we've been here over 10 minutes while they deal with it

I guess you can say I was the cause of tonights service suspension at Christie.

So..

A homeless person passed out in car 5248 tonight. He puked all over himself and the train car.

I reported it to the guard who attended. Next thing I know service was suspended between Ossington and St George.

My guess is he was in medical distress because we've been here over 10 minutes while they deal with it

I guess you can say I was the cause of tonights service suspension at Christie.
Lot of people would have ignored it because they don’t want to risk a delay. Good on you for actually doing something.

Trains were also bypassing Spadina right about the same time.

I think that was because of the Guard on my train.

When we reached Spadina, he saw something. He got out to take a look, ran back, shut the doors and then immediately after service was bypassing.

Lot of people would have ignored it because they don’t want to risk a delay. Good on you for actually doing something.

I want to explicitly second this comment.

Good on you @Richard White

Its a caring gesture to realize that someone else's welfare demands more urgent attention than your convenience.

Oct 28
Finally made it to Broadview Loop with more up on my site

Using TTC was a wasted of time using transit as I was walking faster to places than wait for a streetcar. After hitting Gerrard Street, the app was sayin 15+ minutes for an 501 that I waked it to Queen. Counted 7 501 buses going north south of Dundas. While photographing on Queen for a well, the first 2 southbound 501 were turning onto Queen, String of 501 buses eastbound on Queen as well eastbound streetcar.

Waiting for A king westbound car later on, I end up walking the 8 blocks to another site. Going home, gave up waiting for an 501 that I end up walking to Dundas to get over to Spadina as I needed something from there first. Had to let 2 510 to pass me as they were crush load as well an accessibility rider. The Drivers looked at the area and said you better wait for the next car. There was barley any room for them to get on the same car with me. Standard 10 minute wait for Spadina Station to off load.
53299303188_a9f3483126_b.jpg

53299426194_dd12807357_b.jpg

53299303103_4c54acf18e_b.jpg

53299051666_cf05ddd78b_b.jpg
53299051501_7bc68ce2b4_b.jpg

53298186862_cec620caf6_b.jpg

53299302753_78c356f550_b.jpg

I was surprised to see last week's TTC meeting about Leary on the front page of today's Star, when I went to the doorstep.

Looks like the other shoe hasn't dropped yet. I wonder how many will come out of the woodwork now that the Star is digging into Leary. Will the Star get action? :)

Back