News   Mar 28, 2024
 192     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 607     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 369     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

That is simply not true. The City was ALWAYS going to do the water main replacement all the way from Victoria to Spadina and the contract was all awarded, which is why the work, which started ant the west side (Spadina) and ends at Victoria is almost finished. They are currently working at Bay and Yonge. See https://www.toronto.ca/community-pe...ucture-projects/adelaide-street-construction/

They wouldn’t be awarding a contract for the work next week if that were the case:

3C968EB5-F6A8-48AD-9E9B-425460251EF5.jpeg

TTC celebrates accessibility at Lansdowne Station

Feb. 24, 2023

On Mon., Feb. 27, TTC Chair Jon Burnside, Davenport Councillor Alejandra Bravo, Anita Dressler, Chair of the TTC’s Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit, and CEO Rick Leary will officially celebrate the completion of accessibility upgrades at Lansdowne Station, the latest accessible TTC subway station.

Date: Mon., Feb. 27, 2023
Time: 1 p.m.

Lansdowne Station on Line 2 Bloor-Danforth is the TTC’s 56th station to provide easier access to the subway system. The accessible station is served by three new elevators that connect street level to the concourse level to the subway platform level. Other improvements made to the station include:

• All electrical and mechanical changes and modifications to the station to accommodate the three elevators.
• Upgraded station entrance with new accessible, automatic sliding doors;
• A new station canopy;
• A barrier-free path from the main entrance to all levels of the station; and
• Updated signage.

“The completion of the accessibility upgrades at Lansdowne Station demonstrates our continued commitment to making the TTC accessible and equitable,” said Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvie. “As the TTC’s 56th accessible station and 23rd station with elevators on Line 2, it underscores our city’s ongoing and unwavering commitment to serve residents of all abilities.”

“The TTC takes great pride in the hard work that’s being undertaken to building and realizing a system without barriers by 2025,” said TTC Chair Jon Burnside. “By making Lansdowne Station accessible, the TTC is continuing the transformation towards a barrier-free transit system.”

“Our first goal at the TTC is to always provide great service to our customers – that means accessible service,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “Thank you to the Advisory Committee on Accessible Transit, and our partners who are working to ensure residents of all abilities can use public transit with dignity and ease.”

The TTC thanks customers and area residents for their patience during construction as the organization works to improve transit in Toronto. The TTC also commends staff who worked to find and implement innovative solutions to the complicated task of installing elevators while maintaining service at this west-end subway station.

Easier Access construction is currently underway at 14 stations: Donlands, College, Summerhill, Rosedale, Castle Frank, Glencairn, Greenwood, Lawrence, Christie, High Park, Spadina, Museum, Warden (EA component) and King.

Accessibility improvements such as these support the TTC’s Family of Services model, which gives Wheel-Trans customers the option to use accessible conventional transit services, such as buses, trains and low-floor streetcars. Family of Services is a part of the Wheel-Trans 10-Year Strategy that aims to reimagine and transform the accessible public transit services that are delivered to customers with disabilities.

They wouldn’t be awarding a contract for the work next week if that were the case:

View attachment 458441

Your initial post said (or I read it to say?) that the City were taking on the WATER contract - that was what I was responding to as the City has almost finished the water part of this process. Glad that they are now trying to catch-up on the trackwork and that Metrolinx will continue to pay for it but having no detour for the 501 for a year or more is really VERY poor.

Last edited:
I saw the news today that the 501 queen is going to be closed for almost another two years, I remember mentioning a few weeks ago that It’s been down for seven years out of a decade now it’s going to be down for close to an entire decade from enormous stretches!

People are worried about cutting evening subway service being the start of a transit death spiral, we’ve already had almost a decade of no streetcar service for hundreds of thousands of people.

When was the last time they closed a subway line for 10 years?

I saw the news today that the 501 queen is going to be closed for almost another two years, I remember mentioning a few weeks ago that It’s been down for seven years out of a decade now it’s going to be down for close to an entire decade from enormous stretches!

People are worried about cutting evening subway service being the start of a transit death spiral, we’ve already had almost a decade of no streetcar service for hundreds of thousands of people.

When was the last time they closed a subway line for 10 years?
Its one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing for the 501 where things that should had been done a year or 2 ago is now happening.

It the Great St Clair Mess all over again with lack of communication and coordination of things before the closure.

You got an CEO wearing ross colour glass and can't see what coming down the road. Then, you have ML marching to its own beat with no thought as to the pushback for it own poor planning and vision when things go off the rail. Got to thank or hate Ford for the mess as he getting something built that should happen a few decades ago even though it most likely the wrong technology in the first place to get elected again in 2026.

We are weeks from the closure, yet TTC can't tell riders now how and where they will have to switch from Streetcar to Buses today. Some rear poor planning when it been known for over a year of this closure. Some heads should roll.

Its one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing for the 501 where things that should had been done a year or 2 ago is now happening.

It the Great St Clair Mess all over again with lack of communication and coordination of things before the closure.

You got an CEO wearing ross colour glass and can't see what coming down the road. Then, you have ML marching to its own beat with no thought as to the pushback for it own poor planning and vision when things go off the rail. Got to thank or hate Ford for the mess as he getting something built that should happen a few decades ago even though it most likely the wrong technology in the first place to get elected again in 2026.

We are weeks from the closure, yet TTC can't tell riders now how and where they will have to switch from Streetcar to Buses today. Some rear poor planning when it been known for over a year of this closure. Some heads should roll.
I get some work (the upcoming Ontario line 2 year closure) couldn't be done since it's due to new projects.
But I remember lakeshore past humber loop was closed only for track repairs, they couldn't do the Kipling loop construction then? Tons of cases like that.

You have a great point about how they can't even tell us what the alternates will look like! I remember when college closed for a few months. The website and trackers said it was still running on college street, but no it was on Dundas.

With all the detours and closures, I don’t see why they can’t operate the 508 as regular service from Humber to downtown via King. On the east end, the 503 can improve too. The 501 can be reduced as people are more likely to find a faster alternative.

Reactions: T3G
It is odd the TTC hasn't put out what the route diversions will be since to me at least it seems like it should be obvious. Have the 501's in the west end turn back at McCaul Loop, and the 501's in the east end loop via Church > Richmond > Victoria. If the entire Queen/Victoria intersection will be inaccessible then a loop via Church > King > Parliament seems like the next best option.

Fundamentally, the TTC doesn't understand that they are first and foremost a transportation service, not just an infrastructure management company. This means taking care of all steps of the journey from understanding how to get from A to B to then using the vehicles and then building reliable, dependable habits over time. They have a a full-on engineering mindset, no service or design mindset - like software engineers who blame everything on user error because how could they possibly be wrong? Everyone else is dumb.

They don't understand what their principles are and therefore, what their priorities should be - they can't seem to build a holistic business case for anything. It's like they think mini motorways or city skylines is real life - just change the pathing - the people are mindless lemmings who are programmed to follow.

As a result, their KPIs are all aligned to running vehicles on time, which i) they game and ii) aren't complemented with anything customer-centric really beyond ridership. It doesn't matter if you make poo-sandwiches consistently and on-time, because on one wants to eat them.

They also refuse to accept that people react based on their emotions (literally, nature and human behaviour) and that it isn't unreasonable that folks don't want to sacrifice their time and hours waiting for service that never arrives, while the TTC slowly plod through service data (about a quarter behind) telling us what customers already knew weeks before. Then, they have the arrogance to tell customers, who suffer their incompetence, that they are wrong and should learn to be smarter and grateful they're evening still doing what they get paid to do - no matter how poorly they do it.

It's all part of this anglosphere bureaucratic garbage, where power is consolidated, but accountability is distributed to the point of it being meaningless. Everything is about engineering, risk and accounting - so the service is something you use only because you have no other choice.

Imagine that, being everyon'es last choice or only choice to due their position in life. Gold star.

I feel bad for those who can't afford a car.

I have a question about the temporary 504/304 route change. From link.

504C King replacement buses will operate as follows:

Westbound: King Street West, The Queensway, Colborne Lodge Drive, Lake Shore Boulevard West, Parkside Drive, Howard Park Avenue and Dundas Street West, to Dundas West Station.

Eastbound: from Dundas West Station, Dundas Street West, Howard Park Avenue, Parkside Drive, Lake Shore Boulevard West, Colborne Lodge Drive, The Queensway, King Street West, King Street East, Church Street, Wellington Street East, Wellington Street West, York Street and King Street West.

Customers should transfer between the 504A/B King streetcars and 504C King replacement buses on King Street West between Bathurst Street and York Street.

504-304_IW_Feb12.gif

Why can't the buses use the side streets? Why can the long school buses do it, but TTC buses can't? Currently, no TTC service of any kind between Howard Park Avenue and King Street West.

I have a question about the temporary 504/304 route change. From link.

504-304_IW_Feb12.gif

Why can't the buses use the side streets? Why can the long school buses do it, but TTC buses can't? Currently, no TTC service of any kind between Howard Park Avenue and King Street West.
NIMBY

Andy Byford interviewed on the Paul Wells podcast.

Is there a reason trains have not turned back at Broadview or Chester during the last two "personal injuries"?

Both times it has been St George to Woodbine despite the incidents occurring well clear of Broadview or Woodbine.

Screenshot_20230226_120732_Gmail.jpg

Back