News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 574     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 877     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

There is already a curve from eastbound King to northbound York. There are no curves (or track!) at the moment at York & Adelaide. I do not recall seeing any diagrams of the curves they have planned and, I assume, ordered for York & Adelaide but suspect it will not include northbound York to eastbound Adelaide. As Drum says, getting special track made takes months. There is no southbound track on York yet but they have been planning to add it from Queen to Adelaide (and ought to bring it down the last short block to King for system resilience.)

The curve is westbound King to northbound York only, none for eastbound, unfortunately. Also I'm not suggesting a detour that requires northbound York to eastbound Adelaide.
What I am suggesting is only the eastbound 501 detour be changed from Queen-York-Adelaide-Church-Queen to instead be Queen-York-King-Church-Queen. At least for most of those 20 months. The westbound detour can stay on Richmond.

Yes it would likely require a new track order, though if you could act quickly, this may be a far better option in the short and long run.

Wasn't sure where to place this one. I got a good laugh on seeing this especially since it's often said we should do things like Spain.

Not knocking how they do things in general, even the 'best' of us make mistakes too.

Wasn't sure where to place this one. I got a good laugh on seeing this especially since it's often said we should do things like Spain.

Not knocking how they do things in general, even the 'best' of us make mistakes too.
Heads roll over this mess on many level while we pat the back or hand slip the ones who makes mistakes like these.

At least the manufacture was on the ball to point the error out. If it was over here, the trains would have been built as specific and then charge an arm and leg to either modify the trains or built new ones.

Tunnels in Europe are a big issues for RR, especially for freight as you can't run double stack trains or ship long equipment. All trams that should be shipped by rail is done by trucks that have major issues been move with most being done at nighttime. Only 15% of freight is shipped by rail.

Torontonians will be waiting longer for streetcar, subway or bus service in some parts of the city this year, with the TTC set to cut service on some routes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-service-changes-1.6757715

This is just sending the system into a death spiral.

If the City or the Commission think that cutting service to save money will help it will not. It will only turn riders off the system and decrease revenue as the wait times get longer and longer.

At what point will they realize that cutting service will not solve anything and will only make the situation worse? I mean.. honestly.. who will wait 8 minutes or more for a subway train and be ok with it?

They need to bring back Children's fares, increase fare enforcement and actually do something. Just today, I watched someone tap their Presto Card and it said "Reload Funds", the whole thing flashed red for Christ sake. What did the operator do? He ignored it and let them on.

What we need is proper and random fare enforcement on the bus network. Have inspectors at stations checking people as they get off the bus, have them on buses checking fares and issuing fines.

Hopefully with Tory out things can be sorted out quickly.

This is just sending the system into a death spiral.

If the City or the Commission think that cutting service to save money will help it will not. It will only turn riders off the system and decrease revenue as the wait times get longer and longer.

At what point will they realize that cutting service will not solve anything and will only make the situation worse? I mean.. honestly.. who will wait 8 minutes or more for a subway train and be ok with it?

They need to bring back Children's fares, increase fare enforcement and actually do something. Just today, I watched someone tap their Presto Card and it said "Reload Funds", the whole thing flashed red for Christ sake. What did the operator do? He ignored it and let them on.

What we need is proper and random fare enforcement on the bus network. Have inspectors at stations checking people as they get off the bus, have them on buses checking fares and issuing fines.

Hopefully with Tory out things can be sorted out quickly.
Children should be given a Presto card (and a lanyard) in school at age 10. Entered with their age and free fares until age 12. Their parents credit card or debit card information supplied by their parents or guardians, IF they so wish to use pre-authorized.

Bl5oE2xCAAAyjcB.jpg

It's been an awful few years to be a 501 Queen user and clearly it's not going to get better any time soon.

I question the decision to buy a further 60 streetcars when there is little prospect of the existing fleet being utilised fully for the next decade.

- Paul

I question the decision to buy a further 60 streetcars when there is little prospect of the existing fleet being utilised fully for the next decade.

- Paul

Fair; however, the decision seemed more reasonable at the time it was taken; and since the contract is let; I would suppose that's 'water under the bridge'

Fair; however, the decision seemed more reasonable at the time it was taken; and since the contract is let; I would suppose that's 'water under the bridge'
Don't forget about the Queen's Quay East and Villiers Loop.

230125_welrt_looppreferred.jpg

From link.

And other streetcar extensions...
9523-ExPlaceLibertyTransit_v18_150-01.png

From link.

- Paul
The decision was made before the pandemic and they can’t back out now. They also never realize till mid 2022 ridership won’t return. This would give them more cars for the long term maintenance pool as all 204 would have to be rebuilt as they hit 1/3 of their life within the next 5 years.

The sad part is the service cuts works likely become the new baseline instead of being labeled “temporary reduced service”. If ridership grow, they would call it increase service instead of restoring service. Just like how 1996 went down.

The decision was made before the pandemic and they can’t back out now. They also never realize till mid 2022 ridership won’t return. This would give them more cars for the long term maintenance pool as all 204 would have to be rebuilt as they hit 1/3 of their life within the next 5 years.
The most significant service cuts are off-peak. I don't think there's expectation that ridership on some days won't hit 100% of pre-Covid - though perhaps not on Mondays and Fridays; which might warrant their own schedules at some point.

They need to bring back Children's fares, increase fare enforcement and actually do something.
Do we really want to reinstate children's fares, and reduce ridership further? The amount collected was so marginal, that it may not even cover the costs of running the program.

WFH will continue to kill transit. It’s tough because no one wants to accept these consequences of having better work life balance, but it’s the way it goes. Increasing individualizations of benefits will detract from public systems. Maybe the OL will change be things.

Do we really want to reinstate children's fares, and reduce ridership further? The amount collected was so marginal, that it may not even cover the costs of running the program

Between children not paying a fare, no fare enforcement and the fair pass the system is losing money.

At some point a hard look needs to be taken at all these discounts. You can't cut sources of revenue and hope to become more profitable.

The more service is cut to save money, the less palatable free and discounted service becomes.

Back